physics

Watch
mclapt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
what is the work done by a lift which takes four people each weighing 600n from the ground floor to the top floor, which is a distance of 125 metres
Last edited by mclapt; 2 years ago
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mclapt)
what is the work done by a lift which takes four people each weighing 600n from the ground floor to the top floor, which is a distance of 125 metres
Someone quite clearly gave you a formula of working out the Work Done in that
Work Done = Force x Distance
or if you prefer it a different way
Work Done =  \int_0^dFd(d)
Last edited by M4cc4n4; 2 years ago
mclapt
Rep:
?
(Original post by M4cc4n4)Someone quite clearly gave you a formula of working out the Work Done in that

Work Done  \int_0^dFd(d)
i dont get it
mclapt
Rep:
?
is that the answer
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mclapt)
is that the answer
No, that integral is simply another way of expressing the equation you were giving, think of it this way.

4 People who each weigh 600 N are being raised by 125m, so each one is exerting a force 600 N downward, so there must be an equal and opposite 600N force pulling them up that that distance of 125m, so you have the Force that is moving each one and the Distance so first work out the Work done for 1 person which is 600D, and then work out the Work Done moving all 4 people in the Elevator, hopefully this helps
mclapt
Rep:
?
(Original post by M4cc4n4)No, that integral is simply another way of expressing the equation you were giving, think of it this way.

4 People who each weigh 600 N are being raised by 125m, so each one is exerting a force 600 N downward, so there must be an equal and opposite 600N force pulling them up that that distance of 125m, so you have the Force that is moving each one and the Distance so first work out the Work done for 1 person which is 600D, and then work out the Work Done moving all 4 people in the Elevator, hopefully this helps
sorry i still dont get it
GiftedBurnout
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The equation: WORK DONE = FORCE X DISTANCE.
Work done is measured in Joules, force is measured in Newtons and distance is measured in Metres.
That means you don't need to convert any units as the basis of your question is already in Newton and Metres.
The next step is to see that there is 'four people' - key element in your equation WHICH WEIGH 600N each.
Therefore you need to do 600 x 4 = 2400 (this gives the total force exerted)
So now you can go back to your equation WORK DONE = FORCE X DISTANCE, and you would do 2400 x 125 = 300,000 J (your answer).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (44)
37.29%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
10.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.24%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
24.58%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.25%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.47%

Watched Threads