The Student Room Group

fitness to practice hearing

hiya to everyone on here i need help desperately i have a fitness to practice hearing coming up i am a second year mental health student and did something i now regret looking back. Basically i forged a signature on my placement timesheet and because my mentor contacted the uni and i got found out. i have had an initial meeting and have fessed up straight away and admitted my guilt which my tutor said would go in my favour. i have been told to carry on attending university until the fitness to practice meeting but i am finding it hard to carry on with my course with this hanging over my head.

Any advice or anyone who knows how these thing go do you think they will see my side of the story or just tell me i can no longer be on the nursing degree course.
I am not sleeping at all and it is effecting everything in my life as i feel i cant go on and have not told anyone in my family yet.
Original post by jules2020
hiya to everyone on here i need help desperately i have a fitness to practice hearing coming up i am a second year mental health student and did something i now regret looking back. Basically i forged a signature on my placement timesheet and because my mentor contacted the uni and i got found out. i have had an initial meeting and have fessed up straight away and admitted my guilt which my tutor said would go in my favour. i have been told to carry on attending university until the fitness to practice meeting but i am finding it hard to carry on with my course with this hanging over my head.

Any advice or anyone who knows how these thing go do you think they will see my side of the story or just tell me i can no longer be on the nursing degree course.
I am not sleeping at all and it is effecting everything in my life as i feel i cant go on and have not told anyone in my family yet.

Okay, you need to calm down first of all. Panicking isn't going to help. No one can tell you what's going to happen. Have you got any representation for the meeting? Maybe speak to someone at your SU and see if they can out put in contact with anyone that can help you
Reply 2
Ok thanks yes I am going to speak to someone at the students union tomorrow will let you know how that goes but I guess it is just going to be a case of see what happens on the day.

I'm literally just in the process of publishing our guidance on fitness to practice. I should have it up in 10 minutes or so and will link you to it as soon as it's up. We're here to support you so don't feel you're alone in this.
@jules2020

You can find the new guidance here. As I said, it's just gone up so if there's anything that doesn't make sense or that you'd like more info on please do let me know:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5780318

It is potentially, but as cheslea says you need to keep your head and start preparing yourself how to handle the situation.
How long do you have till the hearing?
Have you taken any advice?

You need to understand what it means.
What they are looking for.
The procedure
Then you need to start preparing a written statement on how to best state your case whilst avoiding various pitfalls.
Normally thats where have a lawyer, but anyone who is capable of objective analysis and a competemnt writer is ok.

Famiiarise yourself with the information on the links below amd that should give you an idea of what to expect, why they are concerned and what they are looking for. Forging a signature is serious because it calls into question your honesty and integrity.

How do they know you arent the sort of person to forge medical data, steal drugs, give false testimony? People need to be able to rely on your honesty without question otherwwise it all falls apart and you are more of a liability if other health professionals or pateints cannot trust you.

You are going to have to come up with a reason about why you did it, that it was a one off [ if it was], that you now understand the significance and you would like a second chance. You hadnt thought about the woder implications, but have been in contact with the RCN and re-read your onligations and expected standards of being a nurse and see how wrong/ stupid it was and would never do anything like that again. You are sorry , you let yourself, the uni, and colleagues down, but still believe you have what it takes to be a good nurse if given the chance

Do not fight or make excuses, but you can defend yourself in other ways through contrition and thoughtfulness. Basically withput them needing to read the rioy acy yo uoi, you cna already show you have learn your lesson.

I would do something along those lines.

Dont be a child

You are aiming I think for a written warning.

SU tend to be quite busy so they can give you an opinion, but its unlikely they will represent you or they cam offer you much more than one or two appointments.

Take someone with you for moral support although because it is at uni then the format may differ slightly from a full hearing.

You can talk to the RCN helpline.

0345 772 6100, from 8.30am to 8.30pm, 7 days a week

https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/discipline
https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/fitness-to-practise-concerns
https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/investigations
Ok thanks yes I am going to speak to someone at the students union tomorrow will let you know how that goes but I guess it is just going to be a case of see what happens on the day.

NO

You need to prepare if you want to improve your chances as that could easily be the difference between staying on the course.

If you have doen this on more than one occasion [ they will check], then you have an altogether more serious situation that becomes more difficult to present in a less damaging light.
Reply 7
I cannot thank you enough for your support. I met with my tutors and put my hands up saying I did it I am guilty I realise the error of my ways. It is a one off and occurred because my mentor refused to sign my timesheet and I panicked. I do definitely realise the error of my ways and hope they give me a second chance.
Reply 8

Hi. I’m so sorry to hear that. I want to ask you one question. I also have a case with the Fitness for Practice and I’m year 1 and it is also the first time I found myself in tough situation. I want to ask you, how was your hearing outcome? Please and how did you respond to their questions regarding to the NMC code and if student union want to represent you will they answer questions which I will be asked in the meeting? Please thank you
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
It is potentially, but as cheslea says you need to keep your head and start preparing yourself how to handle the situation.
How long do you have till the hearing?
Have you taken any advice?

You need to understand what it means.
What they are looking for.
The procedure
Then you need to start preparing a written statement on how to best state your case whilst avoiding various pitfalls.
Normally thats where have a lawyer, but anyone who is capable of objective analysis and a competemnt writer is ok.

Famiiarise yourself with the information on the links below amd that should give you an idea of what to expect, why they are concerned and what they are looking for. Forging a signature is serious because it calls into question your honesty and integrity.

How do they know you arent the sort of person to forge medical data, steal drugs, give false testimony? People need to be able to rely on your honesty without question otherwwise it all falls apart and you are more of a liability if other health professionals or pateints cannot trust you.

You are going to have to come up with a reason about why you did it, that it was a one off [ if it was], that you now understand the significance and you would like a second chance. You hadnt thought about the woder implications, but have been in contact with the RCN and re-read your onligations and expected standards of being a nurse and see how wrong/ stupid it was and would never do anything like that again. You are sorry , you let yourself, the uni, and colleagues down, but still believe you have what it takes to be a good nurse if given the chance

Do not fight or make excuses, but you can defend yourself in other ways through contrition and thoughtfulness. Basically withput them needing to read the rioy acy yo uoi, you cna already show you have learn your lesson.

I would do something along those lines.

Dont be a child

You are aiming I think for a written warning.

SU tend to be quite busy so they can give you an opinion, but its unlikely they will represent you or they cam offer you much more than one or two appointments.

Take someone with you for moral support although because it is at uni then the format may differ slightly from a full hearing.

You can talk to the RCN helpline.

0345 772 6100, from 8.30am to 8.30pm, 7 days a week

https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/discipline
https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/fitness-to-practise-concerns
https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/investigations

Hi. I am a year 1 student midwife. I have a case with the Fitness for Practice. I am so concerned what’s going to happen and I’m seeking advice how I should respond to their questions in regards to the NMC code in the hearing? Are you aware of outcome please ? It’s the first time which I found myself in this tough situation. Please advice me ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending