which a levels should i choose?

Watch this thread
s.m999
Badges: 16
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
heyy everyone.

so I'm in year 11 and have just chosen my a- level options.

the definite 3 i have chosen are:

history, sociology and politics + an epq.

now, i am also going to do one of the following as a fourth a- level:

philosophy *or* ancient history.

i'm just not sure which one to do!

i don't know if doing 4 including ancient history and history may be too similar- will top unis see them both as different respectable a- levels? or should i do philosophy?

any opinions would be appreciated! thanks!

(i'm looking to study law or history at uni- 90% law!)
(what do you think of my subject combination- respectable?)
MeganCY
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Look at what subjects are required for law or history in uni and see if philosophy or ancient history comes up more if it doesn’t come up as a required pick the one u prefer or if there’s on ur better at so it’ll make the over a level experience easier cos if one is easier u don’t have to stress as much/get extra help hope that helps
s.m999
(Original post by MeganCY)
Look at what subjects are required for law or history in uni and see if philosophy or ancient history comes up more if it doesn’t come up as a required pick the one u prefer or if there’s on ur better at so it’ll make the over a level experience easier cos if one is easier u don’t have to stress as much/get extra help hope that helps
thanks!
there's no requirements for history or law- only says an 'essay based subject' is 'useful.'

but both the subjects are essay based and traditional!

got no idea which to go with- only worried history and ancient history aren't differentiated enough- but is philosophy well- respected?

just absoloutley clueless!

thanks for the help
MeganCY
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If u know ur gonna do history then do ancient history cos then you’ll have a wider array of knowledge going in to uni but if ur gonna do law maybe philosophy as philosophy and ethics obviously play a part in law and can give u more information in other areas which can help in uni but that’s just what I would do in my opinion and a suggested
s.m999
(Original post by MeganCY)
If u know ur gonna do history then do ancient history cos then you’ll have a wider array of knowledge going in to uni but if ur gonna do law maybe philosophy as philosophy and ethics obviously play a part in law and can give u more information in other areas which can help in uni but that’s just what I would do in my opinion and a suggested
i'll have a think; thanks!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by s.m999)
heyy everyone.

i don't know if doing 4 including ancient history and history may be too similar- will top unis see them both as different respectable a- levels? or should i do philosophy?

Are you thinking about applying to Oxbridge, because if not, you might be better off focussing on 3 rather than 4 A levels. No Uni will insist on 4 (even Oxbridge) and you should only pick 4 if you're confident it won't drag down your grades (better to achieve AAA than AABB).

And if you do choose 4, I think Philosophy would look better than Ancient History due to the overlap issue - Philosophy would give more breadth to your studies.
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
disagree with ^^. it's a fourth subject, it doesn't matter if it looks as good as philosophy because it's extra. id say do it, it'll probably help u w history so you'll get better grades.
if youre doing 3, philosophy.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
heyy everyone.

I wouldnt do ancient history if you are already doing history.
s.m999
thanks everyone for the help!

i think i'll go with philosophy!

so, history, sociology, politics, philosophy and an epq!

thanks guys
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thanks everyone for the help!

i think i'll go with philosophy!

so, history, sociology, politics, philosophy and an epq!

thanks guys
best of luck! (good choice imo)
s.m999
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
best of luck! (good choice imo)
thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (36)
33.96%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (48)
45.28%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (21)
19.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.94%

Watched Threads