The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Synoptic essay!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
tiger_vio
What the heck would you write for that? :s-smilie:
Actually i can think of some things.... ill list them for my own revison purposes :p:

- Cystic fibrosis
- Resting & action potential
- H+ ions in photosynthesis & respiration
- H+ ions and denaturing of enzymes
- Properties of water..? :s-smilie:
- Plasma membranes.. carrier proteins & channel proteins allowing ions through?
- Oxygen transport/haemoglobin and the hydrogen ions stimulating oxyhaemglobin to unload oxygen
- Transport of ions through a plant- we know mineral ions travel up because of experiments using radioactive tracers, using radioactive forms of ions.
- Na- + Cl- ions involved in the loop of henle

Can anyone think of anything else? Im not a chemist so I find it hard to actually identify what ions are in terms of biology :confused:

thats pretty similar to what i'd write.

-membranes, resting potential, synaptic transmission.
-respiration
-photosynthesis
-uptake of minerals in plants.
-the Bohr effect
-water potentials
-counter current multiplier in the kidneys

only problem i can think of is it doesn't really cover much of the as modules, im doing spec A, but its mainly module 5 and and 6
Reply 21
I forever love this forum now. I have been doing other exams while my class practises the synoptic essay, so I really thought I was stuffed.
Reply 22
Quick question, how much depth do you need to go into for every topic? Ie. if you're talking about H+ in the electron transport chain, do you talk about photolysis and electrons moving across generating ATP etc. Or do you just stay on the topic of H+'s. Also, is it better to cover say.....8 different subject areas, or 4 but in much more detail?
Reply 23
Joe555
Quick question, how much depth do you need to go into for every topic? Ie. if you're talking about H+ in the electron transport chain, do you talk about photolysis and electrons moving across generating ATP etc. Or do you just stay on the topic of H+'s. Also, is it better to cover say.....8 different subject areas, or 4 but in much more detail?

Well you get 3 marks for 'breadth of knowledge', 3 marks for relevance to the question and 16 marks for scientific knowledge. So I'd say it's better to do 4 in a high amount of detail (providing it's all relevant) instead of 8 in low detail.

For depth it just depends how deep you can go with out going off track. If you feel it's still relevant to what they've asked, talk about it, other wise don't bother (unless it's only something short; just don't go off an a 3 paragraph rant about speciation in a question about mutation).
Joe555
Don't even get me started on this rubbish exam.....
http://www.biologylessons.net/files/SynopticEssays/SynopticEssays.html

This is an EXTREMELY good website! Treat it as your lover....seriously. I love this website:smile: (In a non-weird way)

All the essays are pretty much 25/25 and there's loads of guidelines etc. and mark schemes on how to write an essay. I'm on AQA A (the non-human one) too.

I now also love this website (hopefully not in a weird way!)!!!! Thank you very much!
They didn't ask much about the nervous system in BYA6 so I have a feeling that it will come up in the synoptic paper!
Reply 26
I hope so.
Reply 27
so any other ideas on what the essay title mite be?? ( also fantastic website!)
Reply 28
Maybe something on the importance of Oxygen, might be a good one?
Reply 29
eeeeeek!:eek: what cud you write on that one?:confused:
Reply 30
Use in respiration as the final electron acceptor to maintain a concentration gradient.
How oxygen is released as haemoglobin combines with carbonic acid.
Bohr(ing) affect and the partial pressure in lungs.
Photosynthesis generates O2 as water is split up to make O2
Aerobic Respiration.
Dunno?
Reply 31
I rekon - membranes/lipids/hormones/gaseous exchange/nucleic acids/activemovement across the membrane. Hope its the last one, didnt have many questions on the synapse in the byb4. Neway good luck!!!
Reply 32
il have to go through all the modules!

erm does anyone have a website dat has mark schemes for 04 and 03 papers?( for mod 7 bio section B)
Reply 34
thanks gyal:biggrin:
Reply 35
if thats not the right spec then go back a few pages
x
Reply 36
thezoob
my teacher has a funny feeling it could be on the use of ions in biology

Your teacher must be a bit insane then. Absolutely anything can come up for an essay question.

Oh and if you do get that question i'd write about.

* Potassium ions being actively transported into guard cells which creates an osmotic gradient for water to move into the guard cell, thus opening the stomatal pore.

* Chloride ions in chloride shift, trying to maintain an equilibrium in charge.

* Hydrogen ions in lactate production, in the rest of respiration

* Sodium ions and Potassium ions in neurones (e.g resting potentional, depolarisation, repolarisation etc..)

* Calcium ions causing vesicles to migrate towards the pre-synaptic membrane in synapses.

* Phosphate ions in phosphorylation and photophosphorylation (lovely word).

* Sodium and Chloride ions in the ascending limb of the loop of henle creating an osmotic gradient for reabsorption of water.

so really it isn't much of a restriction to what you can write about :smile:, a bit of a late reply but good luck for the exam! I've got it tomorrow too!
Reply 37
Just so you know ions has come up before so they might try to be a wee bit original!!!
And yeah anything could come up!!
x
Reply 38
I really hope there's a question on negative feedback, or movement within organisms =)
Reply 39
What is there to write about for membranes or hormones?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending