The Student Room Group

Only 95% of UK adults think the Holocaust occurred

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who knows anything about history knows that Hitler didn't just target Jews, but gay people, prostitutes, gypsies and anyone that didn't fit his ideal. Jews were a massive group though. My great grandfather managed to get out of Germany in time, but many members of his family didn't and were exterminated in the concentration camps.

As for the 5% - you can't argue with stupid.

More4 were showing Night Will Fall last night. Did anyone watch it?
Original post by Decahedron
What I find particularly disturbing is that some will argue until they are blue in the face the Jewish loss of life is more important than all others that occured during this period.

To be ignorant of something is acceptable because not everyone can know everything, but the loss of life especially on this scale is always a tragedy and should be treated equally. Although part of the reason we do not recognise the Soviet crimes is because we became allies with them even with knowledge of what they were doing.

And the British have a particular dark spot when it comes to concentration camps because they invented during the Second Anglo-Boer War.

We have already had one person arguing that the loss of jewish lives was more important than slavic lives, I dont even care if we dont officially recognize th e mass killings that happened on a far larger scale than the holocaust, just that we care about it yet so few people know or care.

And the whole "the british invented concentration camps" things is 100% false, they had been used in America and in Spain (in cuba I think) the definition is also pretty bad and many other things where X people were put into prisions happened and were not down to one country, but even with our camps they were not with the express goal of murdering boers, the conditions were horrible (so were the conditions for our soldiers) but when we put an inquirey into how bad they were we improved them because we recognized that turning a concentration camp into a death camp was not desireable.
Original post by AperfectBalance
We have already had one person arguing that the loss of jewish lives was more important than slavic lives, I dont even care if we dont officially recognize th e mass killings that happened on a far larger scale than the holocaust, just that we care about it yet so few people know or care.

And the whole "the british invented concentration camps" things is 100% false, they had been used in America and in Spain (in cuba I think) the definition is also pretty bad and many other things where X people were put into prisions happened and were not down to one country, but even with our camps they were not with the express goal of murdering boers, the conditions were horrible (so were the conditions for our soldiers) but when we put an inquirey into how bad they were we improved them because we recognized that turning a concentration camp into a death camp was not desireable.

Thank you for clarifying that, I wasn't that aware of the context.
The problem we have however is that an estimated 17 million people were put to death during the holocaust. But there only seems to be widespread recognition for 6 million Jews, 11 million casulities of the holocaust are sidelined because they aren't Jews. That is not right.
Original post by Jebedee
Maybe if the government didn't feel the need to criminalise dissenting opinion on the matter, that 5% would be lower.

The Holocaust is certainly not my area of expertise and I don't pretend to be informed. So from a neutral point of view, it's easy to see why someone would doubt the government enforced narrative.

You don't convince people with threats but with logic and evidence.

Can you provide us with an example of when the government crimilised holocaust denailism.
Reply 25
Hezbollah is a terrorist group. I’m talking about regular white men that believe in “Jews fueling white genocide” and “the holocaust never happened” type of conspiracy theories. I genuinely haven’t seen a regular Muslim that believes in that ****
Original post by ThomH97
And 1 in 12 thinks it's been exaggerated. So says a survey by the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust based on 2,000 UK adults. Does this surprise you? And should everyone be aware of it? What are the consequences if more people aren't aware of what happened?

I do think the Holocaust occurred, and I don't think it's been exaggerated to say 6 million Jews were murdered by the Nazis. However, I do think other victims of the Holocaust have been ignored, for example Poles and homosexuals, and I'm rather annoyed at the BBC for leaving that out of their article. I understand that the number of Jews murdered was larger than that of other groups, but to ignore millions of other murder victims because 'not enough' were killed is wrong. On the plus side, they have at least mentioned Rwanda and Cambodia, though I wouldn't expect those to be known as well in this country which fought against the Nazi regime.

Personally, I am not worried that 5% of adults don't think the Holocaust occurred. If they also happened to think that Jews were inherently bad or inferior, then we have a problem, but just because someone isn't aware of (or denies) Pol Pot doesn't mean they're a risk to some random Cambodian walking around.

While the holocaust was a tragedy, i do think it gets more than enough attention, too much perhaps. I feel like giving too much attention is wearing away the seriousness of the holocaust.

Also, for me, WW2 was a confusing one - The nazis were bad, ok, but its not as simple as bad. And winston churchill was a rotten potato too. I want to know more about what colonialism has done - its not fair how that gets brushed under the carpet while we get taught so much about WW2.
Original post by Kangaroo17
While the holocaust was a tragedy, i do think it gets more than enough attention, too much perhaps. I feel like giving too much attention is wearing away the seriousness of the holocaust.

Also, for me, WW2 was a confusing one - The nazis were bad, ok, but its not as simple as bad. And winston churchill was a rotten potato too. I want to know more about what colonialism has done - its not fair how that gets brushed under the carpet while we get taught so much about WW2.

How does learning about the Holocaust mean it is less serious?
How much have you studied History and world war 2? Feel free to enlighten us?
What redeeming features did the nazis have and who said it was simple?
Colonailsim does not get brushed under the carpet its merely a different area of History.
World war 2 was the most significant event in the 20th century.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
Heard this on Radio 4 on my way to the shops an hour or so ago... Shocking stuff.

I dont think so. I am surpised it is so low. Theres enough antupathy towards jewish people and Israel from certain quarters plus conspiracy theroists that it fits with their reasoning to be in the holocaust denier camp. You see it posted on TSR all the time.
It's only 5%, they are probably the same ones who are keyboard warriors in YouTube comments sections and online forums I see on a daily basis
Original post by Jebedee
Maybe if the government didn't feel the need to criminalise dissenting opinion on the matter, that 5% would be lower.

The Holocaust is certainly not my area of expertise and I don't pretend to be informed. So from a neutral point of view, it's easy to see why someone would doubt the government enforced narrative.

You don't convince people with threats but with logic and evidence.

How has the government criminalised dissenting opinion?
How is it an enforced government narrative?
Are you a holcaust denier?
What sort of threats has the givernment been using?

Feel free to enlighten us.
Original post by Megxn0
I’ve only ever seen white men denying the holocaust. There are so many anti-Semitic Muslims, but I haven’t seen any literally denying genocide.

Obviously you're not looking hard enough or you're an antisemite and want to cover it up.
People are not well-informed. Combo of poor education and not being interested in history. Realistically, when do we ever think about the Holocaust -- in a history class and when watching some WWII movie? It isn't an active part of current public life in a way the HMD believes it should be, which maybe is lamentable.
Original post by 999tigger
How does learning about the Holocaust mean it is less serious?
How much have you studied History and world war 2? Feel free to enlighten us?
What redeeming features did the nazis have and who said it was simple?
Colonailsim does not get brushed under the carpet its merely a different area of History.
World war 2 was the most significant event in the 20th century.

1) I said giving it a lot of attention. I don't know why, but jokes about the jews, gassing chambers and nazis are not uncommon.
2) In comparison to other parts of history at school, WW2 was learnt more in depth.
3) Don't really want to get into that, but the ideology is evil. And no one did, but labeling "The axis" and "The allies" just supports history is written by the victors.

4) Yes it is a different part of history, duh, but its a SIGNIFICANT part of British and western european history. I dare say most of the power and wealth came through colonalism. I've seen french comments on social media for example where they complain about what germans did in the past, as if france hasn't committed, possibly even commiting, attrocities in african colonies. Why are they not aware of it?

Yeah its a touchy subject, but the only place where i've learnt about it is online.

5) Obviously.
Original post by ThomH97
And 1 in 12 thinks it's been exaggerated. So says a survey by the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust based on 2,000 UK adults. Does this surprise you? And should everyone be aware of it? What are the consequences if more people aren't aware of what happened?

I do think the Holocaust occurred, and I don't think it's been exaggerated to say 6 million Jews were murdered by the Nazis. However, I do think other victims of the Holocaust have been ignored, for example Poles and homosexuals, and I'm rather annoyed at the BBC for leaving that out of their article. I understand that the number of Jews murdered was larger than that of other groups, but to ignore millions of other murder victims because 'not enough' were killed is wrong. On the plus side, they have at least mentioned Rwanda and Cambodia, though I wouldn't expect those to be known as well in this country which fought against the Nazi regime.

Personally, I am not worried that 5% of adults don't think the Holocaust occurred. If they also happened to think that Jews were inherently bad or inferior, then we have a problem, but just because someone isn't aware of (or denies) Pol Pot doesn't mean they're a risk to some random Cambodian walking around.

Well of course it happened. But the numbers have never been even debated as its seen as taboo to bring it up for various reasons. 6m were claimed and people said "sure, how can we make it up to you?" so its pretty obvious what incentives there were.

And yes, other groups such as Poles deserve rememberance too.
lol 2000 people?? Stalin was a mass murderer and not to say Hitler was good, but let's just say we remember the victor's version of history
Original post by ThomH97

This information is distressing. I guess that 5% is the same 5% who think the earth is flat?
Reply 37
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
Obviously you're not looking hard enough or you're an antisemite and want to cover it up.

Prove me wrong then. If I was an anti-Semite, why would I recognize white men denying the holocaust and not Muslims...?
Unarguably, the holocaust was a grim reminder of prejudice and the failure of a just democracy; the barbaric atrocities inflicted on millions of innocent civillians should be heavily condemmed; yet me made a solemn symbol of peace. However, discussing this issue is undeniably a sensitive issue, it is fair to say that the sample size is insufficiently small, and not representative of the UK population, nor the cultural society of our nation. Throughout our esteemed British education we are taught to be tolerant, to be respectful and remindful of the past; appreciating the sacrifices made to those who forged our country, and established peace. The UK consists of a plethora of nationalities, intergrated together; this interwined country therefore results in having a minority who may be considered as not as educated as those who are educated under our British system. Some of these people may be illiterate, blinded to seeing the past, or ignorant. It is not a case of denial, it is a case of either ignorance, or the failure to acknowledge the past. It is unfortunate, but there isn't anything we as a society can do. What is important that the majority of the world recognises and realises the grim realities of war, and the fatal tole this has on the innocent. Together, as a herd we can be united to ensure that peace is maintained, educating future generations on our distasteful past.

Note: We also need to recognise other genocides besides the holocaust, the emphasis should also be placed on the imperialistic death camps established by the British in Africa & India; as well as the numerous masacares. Furthermore let us not forget that Western Civilisation decimated and made an established Native American Civilisation become extinct for the sake of glory. In addition to this, almost every nation is guilty of comitting impetuous genocides and crimes against humanity, it is time to add more closure to the holocaust, opening up new chapters of remembrance of the other innocent civillians who have suffered yet been neglected!
(edited 5 years ago)
You can find 5% of the population to support virtually any proposition you can think of.

95% agreement is very high.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending