The Student Room Group

Only 95% of UK adults think the Holocaust occurred

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dandaman1
I think we can live with 95%.

I also agree with some of the above posts. The Holocaust gets huge recognition despite contributing a small portion of the civilian WW2 deaths, and remembrance is almost entirely focused on Jews despite them being about half of the Holocaust victims.

Yes, the Holocaust was horrible. It was the intentional attempted eradication of Jews, homosexuals, gypsies and political prisoners. But the Soviets murdered, starved to death and committed genocide against millions more people in the name of their regime than Hitler ever did. But for some reason it's OK to feature a hammer and sickle on things but not a Swastika. I mean, the Soviets were also our enemies for decades. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's mad how no one really cares about the hammer and the sickle flag (in my age bracket 18-16). I think it should be hated equally like the swastika.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
Their priority was to exterminate 'inferior races'. Jews were just one of those races.

That is true, however Jews were sought after. Were they not segregated in Ghettos? Poles could still roam around Warsaw, if they were not Jewish or hiding Jews. They were still all horribly treated, and Poles were definitely portrayed as inferior aliens (even tried to be framed for the invasion of Poland).

Also stupid question, but when you compare the numbers between slavs and jews killed, does that mean none of the slavs held the Jewish faith?
Original post by Notnek
The Holocaust of Jews is remembered so much because it was an attempt to exterminate a whole group of people, based solely on the religion that they happened to be born into.

Erm, no.
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
That is true, however Jews were sought after. Were they not segregated in Ghettos? Poles could still roam around Warsaw, if they were not Jewish or hiding Jews. They were still all horribly treated, and Poles were definitely portrayed as inferior aliens (even tried to be framed for the invasion of Poland).

Also stupid question, but when you compare the numbers between slavs and Jews killed, does that mean none of the slavs held the Jewish faith?

Jews were sought after, but they were one group amongst many that were targeted during The Holocaust, which included Gay Men, Soviet Citizens and Jehova's Witnesses, just to name a few.

You make a good point with that question actually. The catch is that you assume Jew refers to Jewish followers. The thing about Jew is that it's a bit of a funny one. It can be applied as an ethnic label as well as a religious one. I'm not particularly sure why that's the case, but there you go. When you consider Nazi propaganda used the Jewish nose, a racial stereotype, I think it's fair to assume we're talking about ethnic Jews as opposed to follows of Judaism, after all, you can lie about your religion, lying about ethnicity is a bit harder, especially if you have defining features of a certain ethnicity. Although the two, obviously, aren't completely disconnected. The statistics also largely seem to differentiate ethnic Jewish and ethnic Slavic deaths. It'd get a bit fuzzy if you had an Ethnic Slav who followed Judaism, but as I mentioned, the Nazis seemed to be more focused on ethnic Jews than religious Jews, though again, the two aren't completely disconnected.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rs5644
Yes and how much harm did those beliefs cause? Religious beliefs have been responsible for untold harm over the generations.Even the holocaust actually.Afterall it was the Jews who crucified the messiah.

Holocaust denial is a problem because if you don't learn from the mistakes of the past then you are doomed to repeat it.Do you think it started with the gas chambers? It didnt.It starts with words and demonization of the "other".

Original post by Eva.Gregoria
We don’t learn history simply because of its fascinating nature, we learn it to make sure that the same mistakes don’t happen again. If a significant proportion of the population start denying that certain events even exist, this starts to become dangerous. I’m all for freedom of belief but if someone starts stating that the sky is polka dotted purple in the face of evidence saying otherwise, then that person will be regarded as an idiot, like others of similar intelligence.

Also it’s just plain moronic and disrespectful to the survivors and family members of survivors of the holocaust who must be tearing their hair out at the sheer idiocy.

While I do agree with you in some ways, religion is still state sponsored So anything you propose which you won't apply to all religion is hypocritical.
Even if I'm confusing the two, your point doesn't stand at all.

Your argument is literally "Jews matter more because they were targeted". The Poles were targeted. The entire Slavic race was targeted and they even have written plans for the mass murder of most Slavic peoples.

Not with the same intensity. The Nazis had a hierarchy of races, in which the Jews were at the bottom, not the Slavs.

9-11M Slavs were killed. At the very least that's 50% more Slavs killed than Jews.
Generalplan Ost has had several mentions already... Do you know what the plan called for?
The elimination of:
50-60% of Russians (Slavic)
almost 50% of Estonians
50% of Latvians
50% of Czechs (Slavic)
65% of Ukrainians (Slavic)
75% of Belarusians (Slavic)
80-85% of Poles (Slavic)
85% of Lithuanians
100% of Latgalians

Haven't you seen my post above? More Slavs were killed than the Jews, but they were many times more numerous than the Jews. You have to look at the percentage of the population killed. 55% of the Jews living in the areas controlled by the Nazis and their allies died, against about 10% of the Slavs, and this figure includes combatants, while the Jews had no army.

Moreover, several Slavic countries were allied to Germany: Slovakia, Croatia and Bulgaria, so "The entire Slavic race" was NOT targeted.

I'll tell you exactly why we focus on the Jews and hear nothing of the victimised Slavs. Propaganda. 6.3M - 7.5M of Slavics killed were Soviets. Why would the West be sympathetic to the loss of people from the evil communist countries? I guarantee that if relations between the Soviets and the West had been much better, we'd be hearing about the Slavs just as much, if not more, than the Jews.

Oh but please, continue to tell me how only the Jews were targeted...

Their priority was to exterminate 'inferior races'. Jews were just one of those races.

The Jews were at the bottom of the inferior races (alongside the Romani).

We do not feel too sympathetic to the loss of Soviet lives, because the Soviets themselves committed a number of atrocities during WW2, including several massacres on their fellow Slavs, and the deportations of many peoples to Siberia (not even mentioning the Ukrainian genocide).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by old_dude
Not with the same intensity. The Nazis had a hierarchy of races, in which the Jews were at the bottom, not the Slavs.

Right, so because Jews were at the bottom, everyone else's deaths are meaningless? This doesn't change the fact that many other groups of people were targeted.

Haven't you seen my post above? More Slavs were killed than the Jews, but they were many times more numerous than the Jews. You have to look at the percentage of the population killed. 55% of the Jews living in the areas controlled by the Nazis and their allies died, against about 10% of the Slavs, and this figure includes combatants, while the Jews had no army.

Again, does this suddenly mean that everyone else's deaths are meaningless? No? My point still stands then.

Moreover, several Slavic countries were allied to Germany: Slovakia, Croatia and Bulgaria, so "The entire Slavic race" was NOT targeted.

Read up a bit of history...
Slovakia was invaded in early 1939. They were allied to Germany because they were occupied by Germany before the war.
Croatia was invaded in 1941 during the invasion of Yugoslavia. They didn't declare they were pro-Axis until the Germans stepped in.

Bulgaria was the only one of the three that seemed to willingly ally with the Axis without being 'convinced' by the Germans.

Besides, just because they were allied to Germany doesn't mean Germany didn't have plans for them... After all, the USSR was allied with Germany until Germany started invading in 1941.

We do not feel too sympathetic to the loss of Soviet lives, because the Soviets themselves committed a number of atrocities during WW2, including several massacres on their fellow Slavs, and the deportations of many peoples to Siberia (not even mentioning the Ukrainian genocide).

Doesn't change the importance of deaths. You'd struggle to find many countries which having committed their fair share of atrocities...
I wouldnt be at all saddened by the 95% figure. It shows people are capable of ignoring the constant bombardment of self serving crap thats out there.
The Holocaust is a great example of the power of ideas and what happens in society where dangerous, toxic ideas are left unchallenged. It is very important to remember this issue, every day of every year for the rest of time, so that we do not allow it to become repeated ever again.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ThomH97
And 1 in 12 thinks it's been exaggerated. So says a survey by the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust based on 2,000 UK adults. Does this surprise you? And should everyone be aware of it? What are the consequences if more people aren't aware of what happened?

I do think the Holocaust occurred, and I don't think it's been exaggerated to say 6 million Jews were murdered by the Nazis. However, I do think other victims of the Holocaust have been ignored, for example Poles and homosexuals, and I'm rather annoyed at the BBC for leaving that out of their article. I understand that the number of Jews murdered was larger than that of other groups, but to ignore millions of other murder victims because 'not enough' were killed is wrong. On the plus side, they have at least mentioned Rwanda and Cambodia, though I wouldn't expect those to be known as well in this country which fought against the Nazi regime.

Personally, I am not worried that 5% of adults don't think the Holocaust occurred. If they also happened to think that Jews were inherently bad or inferior, then we have a problem, but just because someone isn't aware of (or denies) Pol Pot doesn't mean they're a risk to some random Cambodian walking around.

Which of these do you believe to be true?

1. Jews were gassed in gas chambers.
2. Jews were turned into soap and lampshades
3. Jews were torn apart by rabid dogs
4. Jews were electrocuted

All of these were at one time reported to be true.
Only 95%?
Is it a coincidence that 5% of the population are Muslim?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending