The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham Collaborative Teaching Laboratory

This is a beautiful new building, with space to teach entire cohorts at one sitting in very large labs. Intrigued by the boast that students and staff will now learn in new cross-disciplinary ways. Is this just rhetoric or has anyone actually experienced this?
(edited 5 years ago)
"space to teach entire cohorts" disgusting. What is it with the scale of the mass education? You'd expect a bulk discount for being part of a large group. I can't belive they are building a 500 seat lecturte theater in the new Teaching & Learning building...

Been inside it, but never used the labs (as not my subject). Has ok study areas.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
My choice of words not Birmingham’s. Son’s point is that whereas previously you would have two or three ‘shifts’ of students sequentially attending the identically same lecture due to lack of space, now everyone can go in together - this does have the advantage of allowing students more time in the lab instead of having to get out for the next group.

(Original post by centraltrains)"space to teach entire cohorts" disgusting. What is it with the scale of the mass education? You'd expect a bulk discount for being part of a large group. I can't belive they are building a 500 seat lecturte theater in the new Teaching & Learning building...

Been inside it, but never used the labs (as not my subject). Has ok study areas.
Original post by David888
My choice of words not Birmingham’s. Son’s point is that whereas previously you would have two or three ‘shifts’ of students sequentially attending the identically same lecture due to lack of space, now everyone can go in together - this does have the advantage of allowing students more time in the lab instead of having to get out for the next group.

Depends on personal preference in that regard then. Mine is very obviously against large groups :wink:
I struggle to see the advantages (for students) of large groups, but perhaps that's a topic best for another thread.
Reply 4
Not at all - I’m grateful for the response, and do understand what you mean. I guess new possibilities like MIT sharing lectures online mean people have to figure out when to use which approach to promote learning the best.

(Original post by centraltrains)Depends on personal preference in that regard then. Mine is very obviously against large groups :wink:
I struggle to see the advantages (for students) of large groups, but perhaps that's a topic best for another thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending