The Student Room Group

Holocaust Memorial Day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheNamesBond.
I'm not saying it's unreasonable for them to care about their ancestors that were killed, I'm saying they weren't the only victims, the Holocaust memorial day should pay equal attention to everyone who was victim to the Nazis.

The day does memorialise all those killed in the Holocaust, not just Jews.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The day does memorialise all those killed in the Holocaust, not just Jews.

I know they do, I never said they don’t, I said they don’t memorialise all the victims in an equal manner.
Reply 22
Original post by Decahedron
It is important to remember all the victims of the holocaust.

Nearly 17 million people were systematically killed by the brutal regime, we should not ignore the 11 million who were not Jews.

the carefully planned extermination of the Jews is the centrepiece of Nazi evil. Hitler murdered handicapped children & gypsies & homosexuals & communists, but his main project was to rid the Reich of Jews.
It is important to remember all the victims of the holocaust.

Nearly 17 million people were systematically killed by the brutal regime, we should not ignore the 11 million who were not Jews.

Nobody does and it is an alt-right lie that they do. There was a deliberate campaign of genocide directed against Jews, approved at the Wannseee Conference and carried out in a series of purpose-built extermination camps (and prior to that in large open killing pits outside captured cities) and there was also massive Nazi killing aimed more generally at captured territories, at Slavic peoples and at the left and people accused of being different in various ways. The genocide was something special and different and that is what is commemorated today. It doesn't apply only to Jews.
Original post by the bear
the carefully planned extermination of the Jews is the centrepiece of Nazi evil. Hitler murdered handicapped children & gypsies & homosexuals & communists, but his main project was to rid the Reich of Jews.

I'm not denying that, but that doesn't mean we only remember the Jews.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
I know they do, I never said they don’t, I said they don’t memorialise all the victims in an equal manner.

There is no effort made to forget gypsies, people of the left or homosexuals who perished in the death camps or to relatively place them beneath Jews, other than in the distorted lies of the far right and those seeking to excuse Nazism and reintroduce a flavour of it in Europe. People remembering the Holocaust do not need to, nor mainly do they, forget the millions of other victims of Nazism. Indeed, the only people who seek to make false claims about that era appear to be the modern far right.
Today we remember the six million Jews murdered by Hitler and his followers in the heart of Europe.

https://www.yadvashem.org/27th/index.asp

Why do you only mention the six million jews and not the other 5 million that were also killed in the holocaust?
Original post by 999tigger
Why do you only mention the six million jews and not the other 5 million that were also killed in the holocaust?

Are you confusing a deliberate planned and implemented mass campaign of extermination directed against a particular race with something that wasn't that?
Nobody does and it is an alt-right lie that they do. There was a deliberate campaign of genocide directed against Jews, approved at the Wannseee Conference and carried out in a series of purpose-built extermination camps (and prior to that in large open killing pits outside captured cities) and there was also massive Nazi killing aimed more generally at captured territories, at Slavic peoples and at the left and people accused of being different in various ways. The genocide was something special and different and that is what is commemorated today. It doesn't apply only to Jews.

As it happens the PM's statement today only recognised the 6 million Jewish victims.

https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1089464179868790785
Are you confusing a deliberate planned and implemented mass campaign of extermination directed against a particular race with something that wasn't that?

No. 11 million people were killed in the holocaust why are only the 6 million jews worthy of mention? Why not remember all of the victims ? Are you saying the pthers werent deliberately targeted by the Nazis?
As it happens the PM's statement today only recognised the 6 million Jewish victims.

https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1089464179868790785

You aren't even right about that and it's right there in front of you - she talks about 'souls' who died and then goes on to talk about Jews, so she definitely isn't excluding others, albeit she is (rightly) focusing on the Jews who were the targets of the Wansee extermination plan, Operation Reinhardt.

Do you deny that such a plan existed? Most anti-semitic far right people do deny that.
Original post by 999tigger
No. 11 million people were killed in the holocaust why are only the 6 million jews worthy of mention? Why not remember all of the victims ? Are you saying the pthers werent deliberately targeted by the Nazis?

Who are the 5 million you are talking about?
You aren't even right about that and it's right there in front of you - she talks about 'souls' who died and then goes on to talk about Jews, so she definitely isn't excluding others, albeit she is (rightly) focusing on the Jews who were the targets of the Wansee extermination plan, Operation Reinhardt.

Do you deny that such a plan existed? Most anti-semitic far right people do deny that.

The 6 million souls, the figure associated with the Jewish loss. not the 17 million total souls.

I catergorically do not deny the existance of the Wansee extermination plan.

I know you want to paint me as some anti-semitic alt right extremist, but I'm not. I just feel like we should be doing more to highlight the tremendous loss of life comminted by the Third Reich against a number of groups. And yes it was predominantly a Jewish extermination, that I cannot deny.
Who are the 5 million you are talking about?

Its actually more depending on whethe you include th soviets.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/documenting-numbers-of-victims-of-the-holocaust-and-nazi-persecution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_victims
Reply 34
please look at this picture:

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/images/large/cfd9eb89-e26b-4bbb-9c62-c032f0475586.jpg

the toddlers and the elderly women have about an hour left on this earth after arriving at Auschwitz in a cattle truck.
There is also an orchestrated campaign on the part of the alt-right and the new european far right to diminish the genocide directed against the Jews by attempting to muddle it with the wider casualties of Nazism. Your posts appear to be buying into this campaign.

The genocide was directed primarily at Jews. The Nazi extermination machinery of the death camps was aimed at Jews. It also encompassed along the way some other groups such as homosexuals and gypsies.

There was no Nazi plan as such for genocide against the Slavic peoples at that time, although they did carry out huge killings in Slavic territories and particularly against Russian prisoners and against Poles. This is not to diminish those mass murders, but they are not regarded by most historians as part of the extermination effort. They were additional egregious acts of the Nazi regime, of which there were many. The extermination camps and Project Reinhardt, the planned elimination of the Jews, stand alone as infamous human acts of planned mass murder and deliberate genocide. The other killings are evil examples of the random killing and war-linked and conquest-linked extreme murderousness.

There was no Nazi plan as such for genocide against the Slavic peoples at that time
Blatantly false. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalplan_Ost

"the plan for Poland was drawn up at the end of November 1939 and is probably responsible for much of the World War II expulsion of Poles by Germany (first to colonial district of the General Government and, from 1942 also to Polenlager).[29] After the war, under the "Big Plan", Generalplan Ost foresaw the removal of 45 million non-Germanizable people from Central and Eastern Europe, of whom 31 million were "racially undesirable", 100% of Jews, Poles (85%), Lithuanians (85%) [11][24], Belorussians (75%) and Ukrainians (65%), to West Siberia,[15] and about 14 million were to remain, but were to be treated as slaves."

Thankfully this plan was never put into full effect but... "The plan was partially realized during the war, resulting directly and indirectly in the death of 9.4 to 11.4 million ethnic Slavs by starvation, disease, execution or extermination through labor"
(edited 5 years ago)

"Six million souls" seems a lot like she is talking just about the jewish deaths

It does seem that the main focus is on the Jews.Arguably other groups suffered just as much.Homosexuals for instance were often treated worse than other groups.Think child abusers in modern day prisons.Some of them had their testicles boiled off.They didnt even get recognition or reparations after the war because it was still illegal.And there was extermination by labour.Literally working until you drop dead.Recognising other groups suffered as well doesn't detract from the Jews suffering.But when the holocaust is mentioned you could be forgiven for thinking there were no other victims.
Original post by Anthos
I've had mocks everyday for 2 weeks, so our year didn't do something for this day, but the years below did. I think they had to research victims of the Holocaust.

I led something similar in pur school. We wanted the younger years to be able to relate to an individual and at least remember one name out of the millions so every student was given a 'label' with a name and they wrote one thing they learnt on the back. We then created a display using all the label's.
Today we remember the six million Jews murdered by Hitler and his followers in the heart of Europe.

https://www.yadvashem.org/27th/index.asp

THANK YOU for creating this post! It is truly important we remember those who were impacted by such atrocities so they don't happen again. This is the only post I've seen on holocaust memorial day this year across social media😥 and apart from one news article nothing...

Quick Reply

Latest