SixOfOwls
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Do you need to memorise religious scriptures for GCSE? My teacher said that you just need to state something is in the bible or other religious scriptures (e.g the bible says do not kill rather than “thou shall not kill”) not quote it exactly but I’m wondering if this is accurate to what AQA examiners want? Not having to memorise scriptures on top of English language quotes would be ideal though 😬 any answers are appreciated.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are so many differences between different translations of the bible that it makes no sense to be required to quote it 'accurately.' 'Thou shalt not kill' comes from the Church of England King James Bible that isn't used much now, but after 400 years some of its phrases are widely known
SixOfOwls
Rep:
?
Yeah I know but do you actually need to do any quotes for gcse?
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a grade 7 without quoting from the Bible. I'm not sure about the three from my school's cohort that achieved a grade 9. Anyway, my teacher said the same thing. Quotes from the Bible that are used in the exam paper from AQA (B specification) are from the New Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition. If you look here, you'll see that some of the top mark answers do not quote from the Bible at all, but rather, as AQA put it, from 'another source of Christian belief and teaching': https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...0631-EX-S2.PDF

Also, quotes don't have to be memorised for English language. They have to be memorised for English literature.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 1 year ago
SixOfOwls
Rep:
?
Oops yeah 😬
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Quotes from the Bible that are used in the exam paper from AQA (B specification) are from the New Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition.
Thta's because Spec B is specifically just about Roman Catholic Christianity. In Spec A you cover 2 from a choice of religions, including both Christianity and Roman Catholic Christianity. That gives a far greater choice of possible bibles. (Now I've discovered this I am slightly shocked that exam boards pander to Roman Catholics being allowed to be so insular when everyone esle has to do some level of comparative religion.)
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Compost)
Thta's because Spec B is specifically just about Roman Catholic Christianity. In Spec A you cover 2 from a choice of religions, including both Christianity and Roman Catholic Christianity. That gives a far greater choice of possible bibles. (Now I've discovered this I am slightly shocked that exam boards pander to Roman Catholics being allowed to be so insular when everyone esle has to do some level of comparative religion.)

Ah right, I understand. My school did Spec B, so that's why I referred to it. Also, half of the second paper (if I remember correctly) in Spec B focuses on either Judaism or Islam, so I wouldn't deem it to be too narrow.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 1 year ago
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Ah right, I understand. My school did Spec B, so that's why I referred to it. Also, half of the the second paper (if I remember correctly) n Spec B either focuses on either Judaism or Islam, so I wouldn't deem it to be too narrow.
That seems more acceptable - my quick flick through the specification appeared to show it was all Roman Catholic Catholicism - which seemed weird when all the other main religions got equally weighting in Spec A. I'e always thought school RE ought to widen your knowledge of other faiths rather than reinforce what you're taught at home/wherever your parents send you for religious instruction. (Not that my parents' and school's common approach had the slightest effect on making me believe any of it.)
Last edited by Compost; 1 year ago
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Compost)
That seems more acceptable - my quick flick through the specification appeared to show it was all Roman Catholic Catholicism - which seemed weird when all the other main religions got equally weighting in Spec A. I'e always thought school RE ought to widen your knowledge of other faiths rather than reinforce what you're taught at home/wherever your parents send you for relgious instruction. (Not that my parents' and school's common approach had the slightest effect on making me beleive any of it.)
Yeah, I think Catholic Christianity stands out a bit more in Spec B because it has a 50% weighting, which is more than the other two religions in the specification (Judaism or Islam), with other themes like religion, peace and conflict or St Mark's Gospel also getting a look in. My teachers say there is more content than Spec A, but I don't know that for sure.

Also, I agree with you on your last sentence.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SixOfOwls)
Do you need to memorise religious scriptures for GCSE? My teacher said that you just need to state something is in the bible or other religious scriptures (e.g the bible says do not kill rather than “thou shall not kill”) not quote it exactly but I’m wondering if this is accurate to what AQA examiners want? Not having to memorise scriptures on top of English language quotes would be ideal though 😬 any answers are appreciated.
Actually what that quote says is "לֹ֥֖א תִּֿרְצָֽ֖ח׃", which literally translates as "not murder" - as in "murder not"; an imperative negative command relating to the act of murder. It can be translated literally as "murder not" or else more nicely, as "do not kill", "do not murder", "you shall not kill", &c. This is why there are so many translations of the Bible.

Have you asked your teacher if you need to memorize quotes? We didn't when I did my RE GCSE - but then my class just did the short course, and that was 13 years ago.
SixOfOwls
Rep:
?
I’ve asked she said no but I just wanted to check
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (199)
61.8%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.73%
No- I want it (89)
27.64%
No- I don't want it (22)