UK could "ban" social media Watch

Cast Iron
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
Ideally the technology companies would be sufficiently pro-active to put acceptable solutions in place before legislation is required, but current progress suggests that won't be the case. As an analogy there are huge numbers of financial transactions every second, but that doesn't mean banks aren't expected to monitor for fraud or money laundering.
The analogy is a bit different. Bank accounts take documentation and ID to set up, they an be linked to a named individual. When you set up a bank account it takes a bit of time and the bank will verify who you are. Combine that with software to detect possible fraud/laundering as well as requirements to report suspicion activity if for example someone withdraws more than 10k in cash, it becomes easy to monitor for laundering or fraud. But on social media you can create an account in a matter of minutes, completely anonymously, and the second one is shut down you can create a new one. You also have jurisdiction issues, some social media websites are based in America where the rules on what people can/can't say is slightly different, they may not cooperate with our authorities. It's all very well to say the government doesn't need to understand the technology and to a point you are correct, nobody can expect them all to have PHD's in the subject, but they need to have enough of an understanding to appreciate what they ask. Otherwise they end up asking for the impossible and then blaming someone else when told it can't happen.
KimNoel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it was on the news this morning i think it should change as people are getting hurt
Decahedron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by KimNoel)
it was on the news this morning i think it should change as people are getting hurt
Don't confuse people getting hurt with people hurting themselves.
Cast Iron
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are you talking about that girl who killed herself and her father blamed Instagram? It's not their fault, they didn't kill the girl, she took her own life. If Instagram or Pinterest posts upset you or make you that depressed then you need to take a step back and stop looking at that content, and see a professional about your issues. You can't just blame social media.
Decahedron
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cast Iron)
and see a professional about your issues.
That is the hard bit, there aren't enough professionals in the country and they certainly aren't easily accessible on the NHS.
Last edited by Decahedron; 3 weeks ago
KimNoel
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cast Iron)
Are you talking about that girl who killed herself and her father blamed Instagram? It's not their fault, they didn't kill the girl, she took her own life. If Instagram or Pinterest posts upset you or make you that depressed then you need to take a step back and stop looking at that content, and see a professional about your issues. You can't just blame social media.
no its because the social media has got groups for sucide and she joined them, so basixally it is there fault as they need to sort out there security.
Decahedron
Rep:
?
no its because the social media has got groups for sucide and she joined them, so basixally it is there fault as they need to sort out there security.
Are you suggesting that her mental health had no part in the suicide and social media is all to blame?
KimNoel
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
all i am is saying that i agree that social media needs to toughen their security to protect people.
Decahedron
Rep:
?
all i am is saying that i agree that social media needs to toughen their security to protect people.
And what would you say to the people that use these groups to vent?

They can't get support from the NHS so they go online to find like minded people and form groups, should we push them further to the fringes and silence their suffering? Sure it will make the government feel like they are doing something, but they aren't doing anything to protect young people from themselves. They will still feel suicidal only this time they won't have anyone to talk to, no platform to vent, no chance of being truly open about what they are going through.
username4470000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Welcome to New China.

...except we have nowhere near the same resources, know-how, or motives that the Chinese government has and it will never happen
It maybe a good thing. Look at this Student Room website. Good intentions to help students with Universty but it has spiraled into this nonsense of ignorance. Social media unchecked is the problem and the Chinese seem wiser than we are in controlling the chaotic nature of it all
username4470000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Also don't forget, we live under the illusion of freedom. I been here a few days, seen topics deleted by the Admins. The form of rule we have is this illusion we have more freedoms, but go against the established rules and your views mean nothing. Personnally I like the Chinese way of doing things. They are honest about it. You know where you stand. But this cloack and dagger stuff, with Admins floating in the back ground. Doing things on the sly, I never respected that way of doing things
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Techno Viking)
It maybe a good thing. Look at this Student Room website. Good intentions to help students with Universty but it has spiraled into this nonsense of ignorance. Social media unchecked is the problem and the Chinese seem wiser than we are in controlling the chaotic nature of it all
''It has spiraled into this nonsense of ignorance'' There will always be ignorant people who talk nonsense on the internet. There always has been. This isn't really something we've ''spiraled'' into. In my opinion TSR is part of the solution to world ignorance - it lets ignorant people get answers to their questions and come into contact with the better-informed.
TheNamesBond.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't remind me of the Zuckerburg incident, Senators who know nothing about technology asking ridiculous questions like 'If Facebook is free, how do you get money?', implying that he sells information to companies, private information, when the reason behind the money is Ads.

What a joke.

Bunch of old stubborn folk.
username4470000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
''It has spiraled into this nonsense of ignorance'' There will always be ignorant people who talk nonsense on the internet. There always has been. This isn't really something we've ''spiraled'' into. In my opinion TSR is part of the solution to world ignorance - it lets ignorant people get answers to their questions and come into contact with the better-informed.
I wasn't bashing this forum. I like it for what it is. I meant this: Admid all these topics of helping students and would be students earn Universty places. it has turned into chaos of people thoughts racing. How most websites, forums etc.. turn into. Human nature is always chaos. And it needs to be controlled. The argument always remains, how to control human nature. The Chinese don't live under any illusions, they control it from the source. But this site and many others in the west. Want self regulation. The illusion it is free, yet it is still tightly controlled
username4470000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
And if your informed. Show me this wisdom. You want real freedom. Then FCUk the Adminms, fcuk control. Let loose this chaos. Let loose this freedom you hold so dear
username4470000
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Now we getting somewhere. Left vs Right. Soon this turn into animal farm. One of you rebellious clowns will start a revolution, maybe it be me I am bored enough at the moment. Hey TSR management, these guys want real freedom. Who you going to ban first
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Teenage millenials are always going win the internet fight against OAPs in Parliament
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is good. They should start by banning facebook,twitter and instagram for the good of our nation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (42)
11.97%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
11.11%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.13%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.56%
No (250)
71.23%

Watched Threads