How to prove the French DELF B2 is equivalent to the A Level French?

Watch
_amexlia
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm hoping to study French at a university in France, potentially in Paris. They have told me that it will be necessary to pass the DELF B2 exam to prove my proficiency in the French language in order to enroll but I've been told that the A Level (which I have passed)mis considered the equivalent. I have asked the university I'm interested in whether they would accept solely the A Level and they have told me they would accept it if I can PROVE it's the equivalent. Does anyone know how I could prove this? Or if there is someone I need to contact that would give me something in writing to prove it? Or even contact the exam board I took for the A Level itself? Thanks.
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _amexlia)
I'm hoping to study French at a university in France, potentially in Paris. They have told me that it will be necessary to pass the DELF B2 exam to prove my proficiency in the French language in order to enroll but I've been told that the A Level (which I have passed)mis considered the equivalent. I have asked the university I'm interested in whether they would accept solely the A Level and they have told me they would accept it if I can PROVE it's the equivalent. Does anyone know how I could prove this? Or if there is someone I need to contact that would give me something in writing to prove it? Or even contact the exam board I took for the A Level itself? Thanks.
Having lived in France for donkey's years and having had issues myself with the equivalencies between British and French qualifications, I would suggest, rather unfortunately, that the only way the French will be happy at the equivalent of your language skills will be if you pass a test that they set.

To be fair, the same happens at British universities... one of my sons (British nationality but born and brought up in France; he did the International Baccalaureate in the UK before reading Engineering at a British university) had to take an English exam at the University of Hertfordshire to prove that he could communicate at a suitable level! He just got on with it saying that it was easier than trying to sort out the paperwork.
_amexlia
Rep:
?
Thanks for your advice. I will go ahead and go for the DELF. I just wondered if anything goes wrong, if i would be able to have a back up with my English qualification! But as you said, better to comply with their ways! But I have contacted both AQA and the DELF organisation so will be interesting to see if they say anything different!
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I took the DELF B2 and IB French second language higher level (which is supposed to be like A-levels?) and they were completely different. IB was a millions times harder (ok it was still easy because I'm French) than the DELF B2 so if you have to do it it'll probably be a breeze compared to the A-level.
_amexlia
Rep:
?
I did notice the listening section was a lot faster than what I was used to at A Level, and I'm not too sure what to expect for the writing and speaking section but it seems you only have to get 50% to pass so hopefully it won't be too diffucult. Did you have to take a DELF and IB to study at an English uni? (Original post by arigziegler)I took the DELF B2 and IB French second language higher level (which is supposed to be like A-levels?) and they were completely different. IB was a millions times harder (ok it was still easy because I'm French) than the DELF B2 so if you have to do it it'll probably be a breeze compared to the A-level.
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did notice the listening section was a lot faster than what I was used to at A Level, and I'm not too sure what to expect for the writing and speaking section but it seems you only have to get 50% to pass so hopefully it won't be too diffucult. Did you have to take a DELF and IB to study at an English uni? (Original post by arigziegler)I took the DELF B2 and IB French second language higher level (which is supposed to be like A-levels?) and they were completely different. IB was a millions times harder (ok it was still easy because I'm French) than the DELF B2 so if you have to do it it'll probably be a breeze compared to the A-level.
The IB alone allows you to study at an English uni since it's the equivalent of A-levels. I took the DELF just for banter because since I'm French I got 100%
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
According to an AQA FAQ document for MFL: "AS and A-levels are not mapped onto the CEFR."

So you therefore are likely to struggle to get them to commit to calling it equivalent to B2 and might be better doing the DELF!

There also seems to be no general consensus on second language A Level equivalency to CEFR. I did languages as an undergraduate and the expectation was that we'd be B2 level (possible C1 for top students) at the end of our second year of post-A Level undergraduate study! My lecturers considered that students coming in with a B or higher at A Level generally had proficiency around B1 on entry. However, the new A Level syllabi are more challenging than the old specification I sat!
_amexlia
Rep:
?
I did actually send AQA an email regarding whether they knew of any equivalencies but they told me they weren't able to deal with my request. They did direct me to NARIC though, which deals with converting international qualifications to UK qualifications, and they have diverted me to the CIEP again to ask my enquiery. It seems to be a never ending route of being passed from pillar to post!! Hence I will just have to get the DELF B2 most likely. Having got the A Level and currently living in France, it should suit the level I am, but obviously if there's anything I can do to avoid taking more exams I'll take it!
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did actually send AQA an email regarding whether they knew of any equivalencies but they told me they weren't able to deal with my request. They did direct me to NARIC though, which deals with converting international qualifications to UK qualifications, and they have diverted me to the CIEP again to ask my enquiery. It seems to be a never ending route of being passed from pillar to post!! Hence I will just have to get the DELF B2 most likely. Having got the A Level and currently living in France, it should suit the level I am, but obviously if there's anything I can do to avoid taking more exams I'll take it!
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to study in France? And which uni are you hoping to get in to?
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yup, it seems fairly counter-intuitive to not map language qualifications to CEFR! But not entirely unexpected with the UK system
I'm sure living in France you'll be fine with DELF, despite it being a pain having to take it!
_amexlia
Rep:
?
(Original post by arigziegler)
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to study in France? And which uni are you hoping to get in to?
I'd quite like to go into the arts or business with a French degree so I'm hoping to study 'modernes lettres' or a 'double licence' with Spanish. I've visited The Sorbonne in Paris, who wanted me to prove my A Level is the equivalent and the uni of Poitiers is maybe an option for me. I shall apply via 'Parcoursup', their equivalent to UCAS soon!
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd quite like to go into the arts or business with a French degree so I'm hoping to study 'modernes lettres' or a 'double licence' with Spanish. I've visited The Sorbonne in Paris, who wanted me to prove my A Level is the equivalent and the uni of Poitiers is maybe an option for me. I shall apply via 'Parcoursup', their equivalent to UCAS soon!
Oh god PARCOURSUP... Good luck, I applied through it last year for medicine but it was such a shitfest and I ended up prefering the UK in the end anyway. La Sorbonne is quite good! Best of luck for that. I'm not a big fan of Poitiers as a city but it's not far from the Futuroscope and Le Puy du Fou so there's always that
_amexlia
Rep:
?
Oh god PARCOURSUP... Good luck, I applied through it last year for medicine but it was such a shitfest and I ended up prefering the UK in the end anyway. La Sorbonne is quite good! Best of luck for that. I'm not a big fan of Poitiers as a city but it's not far from the Futuroscope and Le Puy du Fou so there's always that
I have a representative who will hopefully guide me through the Parcoursup process but I'm not looking forward to it either lol. So you didn't end up studying in France? I like Bordeaux as a city but they didn't have the course I wanted at the central uni unfortunately. The Sorbonne is beautiful, it would be great to study there. I don't know how easy it is to be accepted but I spoke to the head of French Literature and he thought that having spent time helping in French schools was a plus!
arigziegler
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a representative who will hopefully guide me through the Parcoursup process but I'm not looking forward to it either lol. So you didn't end up studying in France? I like Bordeaux as a city but they didn't have the course I wanted at the central uni unfortunately. The Sorbonne is beautiful, it would be great to study there. I don't know how easy it is to be accepted but I spoke to the head of French Literature and he thought that having spent time helping in French schools was a plus!
Nope I didnt, I got a few offers but ended up prefering doing a Masters in the UK and reapplying for medicine here.
Best of luck in your applications, I hear parcoursup is meant to be better this year because they got so many complaints last year.
Bordeaux is great, specially if you like cannelés.
_amexlia
Rep:
?
Nope I didnt, I got a few offers but ended up prefering doing a Masters in the UK and reapplying for medicine here.
Best of luck in your applications, I hear parcoursup is meant to be better this year because they got so many complaints last year.
Bordeaux is great, specially if you like cannelés.
Ah thank you and to you yes hopefully with us being the second year I think?? There should be improvements!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed