The Student Room Group

Just don’t know what to do with my life anymore

I finished my GCSEs a year ago, started Sixth Form last September and then dropped out a week later because I decided against a few of my subjects and they wouldn’t let me change them, now I don’t know whether to self study and do my exams next year in 2020 or to join a college this year, I don’t know what A-Levels I want to do, I literally change my mind every week, I’ve got an interview at a college nearby but they require a reference, I gave them one but didn’t give them contact details to my referee because I didn’t want my referee to know my situation, I don’t know anymore, feel like I’m in a rut and I can’t get out.
Is there anyone at the college you can talk thorugh your options with. They might let you sit on a few classes to help you explore subject areas at A-level or the vocational route before starting again in September. If you don't know what you want to do, then look for what will keep your options open.

Could also be worth spending some time work shadowing to get a feel for the type of jobs you might be interested in, or to at least rule out what you are not interested in.

Don't feel bad you haven't got clear direction, or that you should hide it from your referee - lots of people are in the same boat and just hoping that inspiration strikes at some point!
Reply 2
Original post by Telomere
Is there anyone at the college you can talk thorugh your options with. They might let you sit on a few classes to help you explore subject areas at A-level or the vocational route before starting again in September. If you don't know what you want to do, then look for what will keep your options open.

Could also be worth spending some time work shadowing to get a feel for the type of jobs you might be interested in, or to at least rule out what you are not interested in.

Don't feel bad you haven't got clear direction, or that you should hide it from your referee - lots of people are in the same boat and just hoping that inspiration strikes at some point!

I don’t know what I want to at Uni so yes, keeping my options would be smart, but I don’t want to pick subjects that I don’t like even if they keep my options open, I literally have no clue what I want to do at Uni let alone as a career.
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t know what I want to at Uni so yes, keeping my options would be smart, but I don’t want to pick subjects that I don’t like even if they keep my options open, I literally have no clue what I want to do at Uni let alone as a career.

I dropped out at 16, then went to college to do A-levels when I was 20. I worked in the meantime, which really helped me figure out what I wanted from life. I guess my point is that there's absolutely no rush. Out of interest though, what made you change your mind about the A-levels you originally put down to do?
You aren't the only one, LOTS of people do not know what they want to do after school.

Work backwards. Work out what vocation or career interests you, find companies that are involved in it, write to them for work experience or even just advice.
Reply 5
Original post by Perfuddled
I dropped out at 16, then went to college to do A-levels when I was 20. I worked in the meantime, which really helped me figure out what I wanted from life. I guess my point is that there's absolutely no rush. Out of interest though, what made you change your mind about the A-levels you originally put down to do?

What did you work as?

It was a combination of things, I chose some subjects based on the teachers I liked, based on my experience at GCSE as well, and I think it boils down to me choosing subjects I liked the idea of, not that I was interested in actually taking time to study.
Reply 6
Original post by modifiedgenes
You aren't the only one, LOTS of people do not know what they want to do after school.

Work backwards. Work out what vocation or career interests you, find companies that are involved in it, write to them for work experience or even just advice.

I’m really trying everyday to find out what career I want, but I always change my mind, I wanted to become a Graphic Designer, then a Research scientist, then a philosophy teacher or lecturer, then something politics related, then a writer etc, you get the point.
I’m really trying everyday to find out what career I want, but I always change my mind, I wanted to become a Graphic Designer, then a Research scientist, then a philosophy teacher or lecturer, then something politics related, then a writer etc, you get the point.

That is good: at least you have enthusiasm and imagination. The default option is literally nothing, then sitting at bus stops drinking white lightning all day.

Armed forces??
Reply 8
That is good: at least you have enthusiasm and imagination. The default option is literally nothing, then sitting at bus stops drinking white lightning all day.

Armed forces??

You know it’s funny that you mention it, I was at some point recently at my all time low, just the lowest point in my life, and I started to think about joining the army, I’m not sure ( big surprise ), there are definitely pros to joining, but somethings telling me it’s not all this it’s cracked up to be.
You know it’s funny that you mention it, I was at some point recently at my all time low, just the lowest point in my life, and I started to think about joining the army, I’m not sure ( big surprise ), there are definitely pros to joining, but somethings telling me it’s not all this it’s cracked up to be.

Nothing is ever all it is cracked up to be.

You don't start thinking about joining the army or any other service when you are in a low mood or because you couldn't think of anything else: that kind of talk is not going to impress a recruiting officer. It is a serious business and every serviceman costs thousands to train and equip.
Nothing is ever all it is cracked up to be.

You don't start thinking about joining the army or any other service when you are in a low mood or because you couldn't think of anything else: that kind of talk is not going to impress a recruiting officer. It is a serious business and every serviceman costs thousands to train and equip.

Yes of course, that is why I chose against.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending