UCL MRC DTP 2019 entry Watch

Little lemon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys! Anyone else applied for the UCL-Birkbeck MRC DTP this year and have an interview? Do you know how many positions are going to be available this year and how many applicants are interviewed?
Last edited by Little lemon; 1 month ago
ATS123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think there were five place in experimental and personalised medicine-have you got an offer?
usualbasil
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Looks like there were 20 studentships across all the themes. Does anyone else have an offer?
Little lemon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by usualbasil)Looks like there were 20 studentships across all the themes. Does anyone else have an offer?

Congratulations usualbasil!! What theme did you apply for? Would you feel comfortable sharing some information on your background and experience? Was this the first time that you applied?
Little lemon
Rep:
?
(Original post by ATS123)
I think there were five place in experimental and personalised medicine-have you got an offer?
Hi ATS123,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I do not have an offer. I prepared as much as I could and have some research experience so I am trying to learn more about what is expected so I can see what I can work on. Did you get an offer?
ATS123
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did - currently doing an MRes at Imperial so that probably helped my application. any offers for other places?
Little lemon
Rep:
?
I did - currently doing an MRes at Imperial so that probably helped my application. any offers for other places?
Congratulations! Which theme did you apply for? I did not apply anywhere else as I work in UCL, love it here and wanted to pursue a PhD with my lovely colleagues. I have an MSc and 4 years of research experience after that. Is your MRes dissertation closely related to what you have in mind of doing here? Will you be accepting the offer?
ATS123
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Experimental and Personalised medicine. Annoying you didnt get it, especially seeing as your already there! I thought Imperial was more likely for me given my Mres, but alas. 80% sure ill be accepting- really enjoy my current thesis on microbiome and colorectal cancer, so just need to make sure someone in UCL is also looking at that!
usualbasil
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Little lemon)
(Original post by usualbasil)Looks like there were 20 studentships across all the themes. Does anyone else have an offer?

Congratulations usualbasil!! What theme did you apply for? Would you feel comfortable sharing some information on your background and experience? Was this the first time that you applied?
I applied for PPD. Sounds like we have a similar level of experience - I think having several relevant publications helped. Have you asked for feedback from the interview?
Little lemon
Rep:
?
Me too, PPD! I did ask for feedback but was just told that others had more experience - totally acceptable! Just was not told what I can do to improve. If you are happy to have a more private conversation, maybe via skype, that would be lovely. I will apply again next year so I want to see what I can do until then. It might be that I want to make some jump from what I have done to what I want to do in the future.
usualbasil
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Little lemon)
Me too, PPD! I did ask for feedback but was just told that others had more experience - totally acceptable! Just was not told what I can do to improve. If you are happy to have a more private conversation, maybe via skype, that would be lovely. I will apply again next year so I want to see what I can do until then. It might be that I want to make some jump from what I have done to what I want to do in the future.
Feel free to pm me!
Little lemon
Rep:
?
(Original post by usualbasil)
Feel free to pm me!
Done! Thank you so much!
Little lemon
Rep:
?
Experimental and Personalised medicine. Annoying you didnt get it, especially seeing as your already there! I thought Imperial was more likely for me given my Mres, but alas. 80% sure ill be accepting- really enjoy my current thesis on microbiome and colorectal cancer, so just need to make sure someone in UCL is also looking at that!
That is great! I’m not familiar with anyone working in this area but I hope there is someone! You can find information about all the supervisors of each theme online so I hope that helps. Did you not get an offer in Imperial? It is great that you have that as a back-up either way!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.13%

Watched Threads