The Student Room Group

Is there a way you can be a consultant with no a levels in science subjects

Is there alternate routes to go down?
Original post by ellie145
Is there alternate routes to go down?

what type of consultant?
Reply 2
Gynaecology
Anything medical is seriously science based. You can take A levels again or perhaps do an access course which is for older learners.
Yes, Graduate Medicine
I think for some Uni's you can apply for medicine with a foundation year (so 6 years of study in total) if you dont have any science A levels.
OP can you give some more details of yourself? Are you currently studying A levels, are you currently at uni? Which A levels did you choose. If you're already at uni, Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is your option, a 4 year course for graduates from any discipline to study medicine. However, if you are yet to go to uni for the first time, you have some other options. You could choose medicine with preliminary year, a 6 year course where you spend the first year learning essentially what you would do in science A levels, then join on with ordinary medical students for years 2-6. On the other hand, you could take a gap year and self-teach chemistry/biology/both and apply for a normal medicine course.
Reply 7
I’m studying English lit, history and law so the complete polar opposites!☹️thank you so much!Xxx
Reply 8
Gynaecology

I'd avoid chosing a speciality just yet. You want to get into med school, graduate and become a doctor. Anything more is way waay in the future.

If you are eligable, you can apply for the 6 year medical course. Otherwise you can either change your A levels (I didn't do A levels so not sure if it really is an option) or go via the graduate route.
There is another route of doing an Access to Medicine course, although as with the foundation courses and most GEM courses (especially from non-science backgrounds) you will need to cover the A-level Chemistry and usually Biology content sooner or later, as it's the basis for the rest of the content of a medical degree.

You can't build a house without laying a foundation...
I’m studying English lit, history and law so the complete polar opposites!☹️thank you so much!Xxx

That's fine, probably your best bet is medicine with a preliminary year. As long as you're on course to achieve highly in your non-science A levels, then you would be eligible for the course. Cardiff, Keele & Manchester unis all offer this 6 year course. It's definitely worth getting some hands-on medical experience to enhance your application too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending