abdullahAK
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello !
Question:A compound contains one atom of calcium, two atoms of hydrogen and two atoms of oxygen.
What is the correct chemical formula of the compound?
A CaO2H2
B HOCaOH
C H2CaO2
D Ca(OH)2
Kindly anyone explain me why the answer is B when A also satisfies the statement.Help will be appreciated.
matrix7200
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This question does not make any sense, are you sure this is the full question because all the Formula's satisfies the statement :/
baeoftae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you are looking at the wrong marking scheme, coz A is impossible, i think D is the right answer
abdullahAK
Rep:
?
Why A is incorrect?
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe it's an alcohol of some sort?
abdullahAK
Rep:
?
So what is the correct answer?
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hiya, i've moved this to chemistry for you so hopefully someone with more knowledge on this subject'll be able to help
unibrennan988
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by abdullahAK)
Hello !
Question:A compound contains one atom of calcium, two atoms of hydrogen and two atoms of oxygen.
What is the correct chemical formula of the compound?
A CaO2H2
B HOCaOH
C H2CaO2
D Ca(OH)2
Kindly anyone explain me why the answer is B when A also satisfies the statement.Help will be appreciated.
I would have said the answer was Ca(OH)2 as this shows that the oxygen and hydrogen atoms are added as 2 x OH groups, which is probally the reason B is the answer as that also shows this in a less neat way. But A and C show that the structure will have single hydrogen and oxygen atoms, which as Ca is in the second period it cannot happen (Ca has 2 outer e- and if it were to bond covelently with 2 hydrogen atoms it would have no electrons left to bond with the oxygens so this cant happen).

So yeah, i would say B and D show the functional groups, but D would be a better way of writing the formula.
abdullahAK
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
hiya, i've moved this to chemistry for you so hopefully someone with more knowledge on this subject'll be able to help
I am your grateful.
abdullahAK
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
I am your grateful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed