lol0902
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im slightly confused on the concept of Universal donor blood...
So I understand that O negative is the universal donor because it has no antigens on its surface which means no matter which body it is put into antibodies from any blood group won't be able to attack it because it doesn't have any antigens, however....
Im slightly confused because O group blood has A and B antibodies, so although nothing can affect the O group blood itself if it got put into someone with A group blood wouldn't the A antibodies from the O group blood attack the blood cells from A blood group?
Hope that sorta makes sense... its very wordy haha
MargotP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Kinda confusing lol

O is a universal donor and has no antigens on its surface - therefore allowing it to be introduced into anyone’s bloodstream because no matter what blood group the receiving person has, the receptors in the new blood will accept them.
However, O has A and B antibodies, meaning that if someone with A antigens, donated blood to a person with the O blood, the O antibodies would come in to ‘fight’ off the A antigens.

Depends who’s on the receiving end!
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I find it easier to think about it in terms of the body doesn't (usually) produce antibodies against itself. So A blood group had anti B antibodies but no anti A ones or it would attack itself.

Group O doesn't display A or B and therefore already has A and B antibodies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_...blood_type.svg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (135)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (141)
16.19%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
9.53%
Isolating with family (60)
6.89%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.79%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (77)
8.84%
Loneliness (89)
10.22%
Financial worries (38)
4.36%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (77)
8.84%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
6.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (80)
9.18%

Watched Threads