What would happen if I miss an essay deadline?

Watch this thread
SamG94
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Have 2 essays that I've been given extensions on as I struggled with my mental health over xmas but I've still been struggling with them and they're due today at 4pm! I've almost finished one but I don't think I'm going to be able to finish the other on time.
Would it be better to submit what I do completed on time or not submit anything? And what would happen if I don't submit anything?
If I could, I would ask for another extension but would need to provide medical evidence which I don't have as I haven't spoken to my GP about it and don't know how I'd go about getting the evidence even if I had spoken to my GP.
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SamG94)
Have 2 essays that I've been given extensions on as I struggled with my mental health over xmas but I've still been struggling with them and they're due today at 4pm! I've almost finished one but I don't think I'm going to be able to finish the other on time.
Would it be better to submit what I do completed on time or not submit anything? And what would happen if I don't submit anything?
If I could, I would ask for another extension but would need to provide medical evidence which I don't have as I haven't spoken to my GP about it and don't know how I'd go about getting the evidence even if I had spoken to my GP.
I answered an almost identical question yesterday.
Contact your tutor and tell them you have done one, but your mnetal health condition has continued and you have not been able to do the other.

Submit one and then you are only dealing with that.

Tell them you have been talking to SANE or student services about your MH condition, but have been unable to get an appointment at the GP due to long waiting list, until (whenever your appointment is that you arrange). Ask for another weeks extension or put in a mitigating circumstances claim.

It isnt clear when you were given the extension or what it is for.

You meed to look at the rules, but an essay not in on time may be scored zero or it may be reduced severely depedning how late it is. You really dont want to be running such penalties.

1. Hand in essay.
2. Talk to support services plus book GP appointment. Youve had a fair while to do this.
3. Get the mit circumstances claim in tomorrow as nothing to lose Important it goes in before the deadline.
4. Talk to tutor and mention above plus appointments etc. they might be kind if you are seen to be talking to the correct people rather than a student who just hasnt bothered with their work.

Thats what I would do. If you havent ot the essay then you cnat hand it in, so you have to expect 0 unless you get the extension as per above. Ask for a realistic one which you know you can complete in and not an impossible one..
https://www.itv.com/thismorning/mental-health-helplines
SamG94
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Problem is I can't get a further extension without putting in mitigating circumstances and to do that I have to provide the evidence to back it up, the first extension was on mental health grounds and was approved by providing student support appointment information and because my programme director is very nice and understanding. As far as I remember if you miss a deadline you can't submit it, unless you get extenuating circumstances or mitigating circumstances, until the resit but I can't find the handbook which says if you can get another chance to submit if you submit nothing.

My only options are not submit or submit an unfinished essay if I don't finish it in time. It's a fairly straightforward essay the biggest issue is finding relevant sources within the time I've got.
Last edited by SamG94; 3 years ago
osasman
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Dude, 999tiger had a very good suggestion, but since you say that won't work, I suggestyou submit an unfinished essay instead of not submitting one at all. Half bread is better than pizza...I mean none. You could also contact a researcher like me for help with the essay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (7)
28%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (11)
44%
First aid skills (2)
8%
Personal safety skills (0)
0%
Sign language (4)
16%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4%

Watched Threads