hypn0se
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone, I am currently in my first year of sixth form, studying IT, Mathematics and Geography and I am managing my time quite well for now, therefore I would like to study and research more about Cyber Security since it's a career which I really want to take on after my A-levels (planning on doing a Degree Apprenticeship).

I want to start learning off the very basics of Cyber Security and slowly progress so I have prior knowledge when I apply for my Degree Apprenticeship. Does anyone have an idea where I can get resources for Cyber Security from and also what kind of things I should be looking at the very basics stage of Cyber Security? All the help/positive comments are highly appreciated!
hypn0se
Rep:
?
Does the book that you recommended cover the basics that you have specified above?
hypn0se
Rep:
?
Ohh right, genuinely thank you for answering my questions. How much is the book roughly? Also, shall I learn the basics that you specified above from online resources if I can find them or shall I buy the book and do so, what would your recommendation be?
hypn0se
Rep:
?
I am the same to be honest, so I will buy the book and start off my journey nice and early. Thank you for answering my questions. I will leave this topic open to see people's opinions that actually work within the sector of cyber security.
JohnBolton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hypn0se)
Hello everyone, I am currently in my first year of sixth form, studying IT, Mathematics and Geography and I am managing my time quite well for now, therefore I would like to study and research more about Cyber Security since it's a career which I really want to take on after my A-levels (planning on doing a Degree Apprenticeship).

I want to start learning off the very basics of Cyber Security and slowly progress so I have prior knowledge when I apply for my Degree Apprenticeship. Does anyone have an idea where I can get resources for Cyber Security from and also what kind of things I should be looking at the very basics stage of Cyber Security? All the help/positive comments are highly appreciated!
A good idea and career plan you have. cyper security is in demand these day due to the increased cyber threats that several big companies are facing. Wish you a good luck.
hypn0se
Rep:
?
Thank you, JohnBolton, I hope everything goes well for you too in whatever you are doing!
oglez92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your background in maths would be very helpful in understanding cryptography. I'd suggest looking at the information security management side of things. Look into the ISO27001 and various other standards, Cyber Essentials, and more. Look at what information security governance means. That's the least technical side of things. You can look at biometrics, forensics, cryptography, firewalls etc for more technical challenging material.I'd also suggets looking at newer emerging technologies such as cloud computing, IoT, big data applications, smart phones etc. See what the challenges are in these new paradigms and how they can be overcome.
hypn0se
Rep:
?
Thank you for the advice given by you lot! I genuinely appreciate it and I have read & understood your perspectives and recommendations. Anything on here is helpful for me!
oglez92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fair play .I was just thinking of looking at it from a less-technical perspective first .I.e information security management
ahpadt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a total beginner, I would recommend by learning networking (just search for a CCNA playlist on youtube and watch all of them) and Windows basics (registry, processes, DLLs, powershell etc). Learning one of the basic programming languages will also come in handy. You need to learn these basics before you can apply them to security.
hypn0se
Rep:
?
Thank you for all the replies, every reply is highly appreciated. I have started learning the very basics of Cyber Security at a slow pace for now since sixth form is getting busy, anymore suggestions are more than welcome here!
prosector15
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Have you tried cybrary? It's free for most of the classes.
halimah786
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey I’m in the same boat as you, I want to do a degree apprenticeship after sixth form. I’m doing an online cyber security course right now via the open university and it’s great for beginners.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads