Goldenparadise
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi So I was offer a position in Bank, However the screening team is been having some issue obtain some references. One of the reference is from my previous job I have manage to get an email from them regarding references and if that fails I have payslips to prove that I used to work there.

My only issue is with an internship that I completed it was an unpaid internship and they had previously provided a reference for me, however I need a new reference and the person hasn't responded to my emails/calls or my employer request. I intend to remove the internship from CV as I don't this information anymore.

As a result my start date has been push back and it's been a couple of weeks what should I do if my reference doesn't come back. The only evidence that I have is previous email chain and the contract. My old employer did receive a reference previously.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldenparadise)
Physically turn up at your previous employer/internship and ask politely. I that doesn't work, write to them and point out that by not giving you even the most basic reference, they are hindering your future employment.
Goldenparadise
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Physically turn up at your previous employer/internship and ask politely. I that doesn't work, write to them and point out that by not giving you even the most basic reference, they are hindering your future employment.
I got the reference from the internship now. My issue is with my old employer I have call and email for a reference given it's one of those agency/catering company I knew it would been difficult. But my issue now is the screen team is not willing to accept payslips as prove, every other major bank accepted this before, except for them. I have literally done everything to reach out to the agency regarding this, they are not answering the phones or email. I'm stuck and the sad thing I can't remove this company from my CV for the future as there would be a big gap.

But everthing on my CV was/is 100% the true and this one thing is setting me back. The screen team also waited the very last minute to tell me that they were facing issues.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd go back to the employer who has made an offer and explain to them your predicament. Only they can go back to the checking company and waive you through.
Briandeanh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The purpose of the reference isn't just to prove you actually worked there but it's also so that they can be confident there are no issues with you (such as instances of fraud, etc) this is especially important with a bank as you are handling sensitive financial information.

Most companies now only give a basic reference of last position, dates of employment etc. Most don't give bad references anymore as the risk of legal challenge is too great.

If a company doesn't give a reference it may send alarm bells ringing to your new employer as companies may refuse to give one instead of a bad one. You'll unfortunately have to keep on at your old employer until they give you one
Briandeanh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi So I was offer a position in Bank, However the screening team is been having some issue obtain some references. One of the reference is from my previous job I have manage to get an email from them regarding references and if that fails I have payslips to prove that I used to work there.

My only issue is with an internship that I completed it was an unpaid internship and they had previously provided a reference for me, however I need a new reference and the person hasn't responded to my emails/calls or my employer request. I intend to remove the internship from CV as I don't this information anymore.

As a result my start date has been push back and it's been a couple of weeks what should I do if my reference doesn't come back. The only evidence that I have is previous email chain and the contract. My old employer did receive a reference previously.
he purpose of the reference isn't just to prove you actually worked there but it's also so that they can be confident there are no issues with you (such as instances of fraud, etc) this is especially important with a bank as you are handling sensitive financial information.

Most companies now only give a basic reference of last position, dates of employment etc. Most don't give bad references anymore as the risk of legal challenge is too great.

If a company doesn't give a reference it may send alarm bells ringing to your new employer as companies may refuse to give one instead of a bad one. You'll unfortunately have to keep on at your old employer until they give you one
Goldenparadise
Rep:
?
I know and understand the reason behind the reference and handling of sensitive information, however I feel like I’m being harassed by the screening team. The company that they are waiting for the reference from isn’t the most reliable even with their documentation that of employees. In other words they might provide a different start date and might not even know my end date because those were shifts I did at university. I’m upset because it makes me look bad when I have evidence to prove my details are correct, but they are refusing to accept this.I know the reference itself is good it’s just the timeline that might seem doubtful because the agency isn’t reliable. And the thing is I can’t remove the stupid company from my CV for the future because I will have a gap.
Last edited by Goldenparadise; 1 year ago
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don’t have a gap on your CV if you are in full time education. You are not required to be employed for the duration of your degree
Goldenparadise
Rep:
?
You don’t have a gap on your CV if you are in full time education. You are not required to be employed for the duration of your degree
Unfortunately this was also after university. So after uni there was a 6 months period were I wasn’t get any from of graduate jobs so I need to keep on my CV.

Does anyone have any advice if you work for the same company on two different occasions how should I add this on my CV?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unfortunately this was also after university. So after uni there was a 6 months period were I wasn’t get any from of graduate jobs so I need to keep on my CV.

Does anyone have any advice if you work for the same company on two different occasions how should I add this on my CV?
Consecutively or with something else in between and same role or different?
Goldenparadise
Rep:
?
Consecutively or with something else in between and same role or different?
It’s the same role done in different years.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s the same role done in different years.
Then put something like

Summer 17/18 Ice Cream Seller, Sea Front, Blackpool
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads