Choosing from my offers - Help please!

Watch
EmmaC91
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I have 3/4 of my offers in. I'm a mature student looking to study History and Politics and join in my second year (I'm transferring from the OU). I have the following offers:

University of Portsmouth - History - Unconditional
Aberystwyth University - Politics and Modern History - Conditional on completion of this years module
University of Sussex - Politics and History - Conditional on completion of this years module. Year 1 entry

Waiting on Swansea but hopeful I'll get the same offer as Aber.

I am going to some open days in Feb so hopefully, that'll help. Any advice?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EmmaC91)
So I have 3/4 of my offers in. I'm a mature student looking to study History and Politics and join in my second year (I'm transferring from the OU). I have the following offers:

Aberystwyth University - Politics and Modern History - Conditional on completion of this years module
University of Sussex - Politics and History - Conditional on completion of this years module. Year 1 entry

Only that Sussex is the best of those Unis so it's really worth a visit if you can. Try to allow yourself enough time to visit the city, though it won't be at it's best in Feb!
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Which course do you prefer?
EmmaC91
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Which course do you prefer?
They all do modules I really like but I prefer Aberystwyth's modules over Portsmouth but 0% of their students get a 1:1 according to a website i looked at on my course and only 40% a 2:1...
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They all do modules I really like but I prefer Aberystwyth's modules over Portsmouth but 0% of their students get a 1:1 according to a website i looked at on my course and only 40% a 2:1...
That's low nowadays. Which site?
EmmaC91
Rep:
?
That's low nowadays. Which site?
Unicompare?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unicompare?
I looked at Unistats and found similar results. However, if you look at various history and politics courses you find that a fair proportion get firsts and 2.1s.

EDIT: Which modules at Aberystwyth interest you most?
Last edited by ageshallnot; 2 years ago
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sussex.

Portsmouth is an okay-ish Uni but not big on History - don't be flattered by the U offer, they make them to everyone just to fill courses. And Aber is so isolated you'll feel like you are living off-grid for 3 years.

As above, Brighton is a fun, arty, seaside city and within 50 min train ride of central London. Sussex Uni is smaller and has a good inclusive campus-village feel. Recomended.

More things to think about here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
Read it all carefully. And remember that you dont have to make this final decision for months, so no need to panic quite yet.
EmmaC91
Rep:
?
I looked at Unistats and found similar results. However, if you look at various history and politics courses you find that a fair proportion get firsts and 2.1s.

EDIT: Which modules at Aberystwyth interest you most?
Stuff like:

An Age of Empire: Britain and Ireland, 1850-1914
Capitalism and International Politics

but then again there are more modules that interest me than don't.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Stuff like:

An Age of Empire: Britain and Ireland, 1850-1914
Capitalism and International Politics

but then again there are more modules that interest me than don't.
Ok. I believe that Aberystwyth is particularly strong in areas such as security, intelligence and military.
Telomere
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm of the view that very few jobs actually care where you got your history degree, so on that basis I would say go for where has the modules that most interest you and where you feel that you would enjoy living for 2/3 years. Personally, I don't care for Portsmouth or Swansea as places to live, and while Brighton is nice it can be a bit up itself. Aberystwyth is a nice little town, but dead outside term time and limited part-time job opportunities.

Doubt any of that helps but good luck in deciding where you will be happy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise