MPs to vote on proxy voting tonight Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8746981.html

This follows the situation in which Ms Saddiq was forced to delay the birth of the child in order to vote. (The usual procedure in this case is paring)

The bill has had some amendments put down by Phillip Davies

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4050571.html
Libtardian
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Delay? Did she waddle into the commons or something?
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think that a pregnant MP, unable to attend the Commons, is not serving their constituents beyond merely being unable to vote. They also cannot take part in debates or petition colleagues/members of the Govt in the corridors, which are significant portions of the job. We should Skype them in now? What about the surgeries they cannot hold in their constituency?

I think it is more the case of MPs electing to not serve their constituents for a time, rather than the system failing to account for the needs of pregnant members.
Last edited by Notoriety; 2 weeks ago
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I think that a pregnant MP, unable to attend the Commons, is not serving their constituents beyond merely being unable to vote. They also cannot take part in debates or petition colleagues/members of the Govt in the corridors, which are significant portions of the job. We should Skype them in now? What about the surgeries they cannot hold in their constituency?

I think it is more the case of MPs electing to not serve their constituents for a time, rather than the system failing to account for the needs of pregnant members.
I think implementing such a system is much better that not implementing one at all. At the end of the day, MPs are going to get sick or become pregnant. Something must be done so that they can at least fulfil some other their roles. Of course, this isn't the end and it is quite likely that other solutions would need to be sought that would further increase an MP's participation, even when they are struck with illness/or pregnant and therefore are hospitalised.

You may think of Skype as a joke, but it could be a solution for not being physically able to attend to surgeries.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
I think implementing such a system is much better that not implementing one at all. At the end of the day, MPs are going to get sick or become pregnant. Something must be done so that they can at least fulfil some other their roles. Of course, this isn't the end and it is quite likely that other solutions would need to be sought that would further increase an MP's participation, even when they are struck with illness/or pregnant and therefore are hospitalised.

You may think of Skype as a joke, but it could be a solution for not being physically able to attend to surgeries.
It is not that I think it's a joke. I am merely acknowledging that the people who are at fault are the MPs who decide to take months off -- and it's not like ordinary work where someone else will cover.

There is no one to cover the MPs' constituents for the time the MP is off work; and that work is key to our democratic society. The victims here are the constituents and the ones failing in their duty are the MPs who elect to take time off (not the case with MPs hospitalised, but long-term sick MPs unable to do their job should resign ASAP).

I don't particularly like the fact the Speaker's constituents are not rigorously represented either, nor the fact that my local MP who is a member of Labour has less ability to influence the Govt than Philip Hammond.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%