Nike gets into trouble for "blasphemous" sneaker Watch

Decahedron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Nike have done this before... in 1997 they withdrew the Air Bakin trainer because its flame like 'Air' logo resulted in firey rhetoric from Muslims.

At least that is actually similar not the current issue which has been broguht up by the professionally offended.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Why would they put random squiggles on the bottom of a shoe into that software? Those squiggles aren’t words or a slogan of any type. Again, it’s not Allah in Arabic and there’s no evidence at all to suggest it is and that the designers knew it.
it’s not random squiggles, it’s part of the logo it’s just hard to see in the RT article. here this one’s better.

it’s not rational to think Nike only thinks in English, only cares how things look/read in English, knows nothing about fonts, has not one person on the Nike team who might consider the shoe from a muslim perspective, not when Nike is an international company and the biggest sports supplier on the planet. it’s not impossible for them to create and/or embrace their own controversy. it’s just easier for us to think we come up with our own ideas.

there’s just as much evidence that Nike didn’t know about it, so arguing ‘no evidence’ well we’re in the same boat.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Joleee)
it’s not rational to think Nike only thinks in English, only cares how things look/read in English, knows nothing about fonts, has not one person on the Nike team who might consider the shoe from a muslim perspective,
I suspect you are right. But that shows how tenuous the claim is. You have to stretch your imaginmation a long way to see what is complained of. It is clearly specious, and Moslems have posted in this thread to say what nonsense it is.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it’s not random squiggles, it’s part of the logo it’s just hard to see in the RT article. here this one’s better.

it’s not rational to think Nike only thinks in English, only cares how things look/read in English, knows nothing about fonts, has not one person on the Nike team who might consider the shoe from a muslim perspective, not when Nike is an international company and the biggest sports supplier on the planet. it’s not impossible for them to create and/or embrace their own controversy. it’s just easier for us to think we come up with our own ideas.

there’s just as much evidence that Nike didn’t know about it, so arguing ‘no evidence’ well we’re in the same boat.
Nonsense. Just because Nike is a big company doesn’t mean there’s always going to be someone on the design team that knows Arabic, especially as this isn’t even a widespread language.

No, there’s no evidence at all it was manufactured controversy. If you’re making that extraordinary and bizarre claim that the team knew it means Allah and did nothing about it then the burden of proof is on YOU to show it. If you can’t then your ridiculous claim can be dismissed as the laughable conspiracy theory that it is.
Jakir
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good, that way the word "Allah" gets covered in dirt and shite every time someone puts that shoe on and walks on the street.
Ur a mug
Reformed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by I'mComingOxford)
hysterical attention-seeking losers.
or in other words , Islamists
I'mComingOxford
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reformed)
or in other words , Islamists
don't think thats the case. Just a bunch of people with plenty of time on their hands.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 2 weeks ago
Nonsense. Just because Nike is a big company doesn’t mean there’s always going to be someone on the design team that knows Arabic, especially as this isn’t even a widespread language.

No, there’s no evidence at all it was manufactured controversy. If you’re making that extraordinary and bizarre claim that the team knew it means Allah and did nothing about it then the burden of proof is on YOU to show it. If you can’t then your ridiculous claim can be dismissed as the laughable conspiracy theory that it is.
if you read my comments (which you apparently didn’t) i clearly said it was a theory based on knowledge that Nike knows it can’t just draw something up without scrutinising the product – this is for creative and legal purposes. not only so Nike can put out the best product – so they don’t copy something that’s already out there. then theirs looks bad and they might get sued for copyright/trademark infringement. this is literally business 101. but you can't challenge a theory based on simple business principles because you don't know them. btw the fact that you think Nike doesn't think globally and in other languages and cultures is absurd - they are a global company and they advertise in other languages and cultures. i already gave you proof of that not that you need it.

your argument is – ‘if i couldn’t see it, then surely Nike couldn’t either’. but you don’t have the resources or the expertise that Nike has. my only proof is that they are a multi-billion dollar company and you’re not.

i’m not going to teach you media 101 that states the media only tells you half the story. if you want to believe you know it cuz you read it on the internet, then by all means. while you’re at it keep feeding into the outraged at outrage culture. i have too much work to do to convince you otherwise.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
if you read my comments (which you apparently didn’t)
Oh, I read your posts alright, it's just that there's next to no logic to them, that's all.

i clearly said it was a theory based on knowledge that Nike knows it can’t just draw something up without scrutinising the product – this is for creative and legal purposes. not only so Nike can put out the best product – so they don’t copy something that’s already out there. then theirs looks bad and they might get sued for copyright/trademark infringement. this is literally business 101. but you can't challenge a theory based on simple business principles because you don't know them. btw the fact that you think Nike doesn't think globally and in other languages and cultures is absurd - they are a global company and they advertise in other languages and cultures. i already gave you proof of that not that you need it.
Nope, the one who knows nothing about business principles here is you. Scrutinising a product does not mean coming up with literally everything and anything the logo could mean, especially if it's some squiggles and not actual words. Humans can see patterns in practically anything, there's an almost infinite number of things that could be interpreted from any shape or squiggle. To suggest that Nike should somehow find all these things is beyond absurd. And it's even more silly to suggest that that there exists some magical software that all designs get put through to find any correlation they could have. Where's the evidence such an advanced software exists? Where's the evidence that they would put everything through it? So Nike also put the tick logo through the software to see if their design actually meant something except for, you know, a tick?

Strawman, I never said Nike doesn't think in other languages, but it's basic common sense that a design team isn't going to contain people who speak and read every language on Earth and if their product has nothing to do with religion or God then there's no reason to assume that even someone on the team who did speak Arabic would associate it with that. And even if they did, other members of the team, would presumably make them see sense by reminding them that any association to Arabic is merely coincidental and not a good enough reason to alter the whole design. Again, you're going back to this ridiculous point that people should just magically notice every possible association and interpretation in any combination of words, squiggles and designs. This is just stupid and not how the human mind works. There is no logic at all to claim that those squiggles mean Allah, why on Earth would a non-religious shoe and clothes company write "Allah" in Arabic on the sole of one of their shoes? You have no response to that at all. And why does that design mean "Allah" any more than a pair of tits, the letter W, a man's bollox etc. etc. ad infinitum?

And your subsequent assertion that the team at some point knew it read "Allah" in Arabic and decided to keep it there anyway to "manufacture controversy" is even more laughable. And you accuse me of not knowing how business and deisgn teams work :rofl2:

your argument is – ‘if i couldn’t see it, then surely Nike couldn’t either’. but you don’t have the resources or the expertise that Nike has. my only proof is that they are a multi-billion dollar company and you’re not.
How does them being a multi-billion dollar company in any way give credence to your idiotic assertions, none of which, by the way, you have the slightest shred of evidence for? Again, if you're making these irrational and outlandish claims then the onus is on you to prove them, not on anyone else to disprove them.

i’m not going to teach you media 101 that states the media only tells you half the story. if you want to believe you know it cuz you read it on the internet, then by all means. while you’re at it keep feeding into the outraged at outrage culture.
Lmao, it's you who's jumping on the faux outrage bandwagon by implying this was a deliberate marketing ploy to cause controversy.

i have too much work to do to convince you otherwise.
And while you're at it maybe try ungluing that tinfoil hat from your head, it's really not a good look.
Last edited by Plantagenet Crown; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (35)
12.54%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.47%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.23%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.23%
No (194)
69.53%

Watched Threads