The Student Room Group

What information about conditions/diseases do I need to know from placements?

Like do I need to focus on epidemiology or just the pathology and treatment etc?

How can I link this to history-taking?
Original post by Anonymous
Like do I need to focus on epidemiology or just the pathology and treatment etc?

How can I link this to history-taking?

Knowing about epidemiology informs how you prioritise your differential - it helps you think about which conditions are more likely bearing in mind the patient's age, sex, ethnic origin, co-morbidities etc.

It is also helpful for MCQs and OSCEs, which are quite often written based on classic cases or most likely scenarios.

In terms of what you need to learn from placement, do you have a list of learning objectives or similar?
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Knowing about epidemiology informs how you prioritise your differential - it helps you think about which conditions are more likely bearing in mind the patient's age, sex, ethnic origin, co-morbidities etc.

It is also helpful for MCQs and OSCEs, which are quite often written based on classic cases or most likely scenarios.

In terms of what you need to learn from placement, do you have a list of learning objectives or simila

Yeah, you're right, thanks.

We were just given a list of all the conditions we are expected to know by the end of the year.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, you're right, thanks.

We were just given a list of all the conditions we are expected to know by the end of the year.

Generally I think if you know the outline* for those conditions as per the OHCM or patient.info, you'll know more than enough to pass.

*i.e. epidemiology, presentation, history, examination findings, investigations, management, prognosis, etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending