Making friends in sixth form?? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hii.
Im in Year 11 and from the start of this year lost all my friends. I don’t know if that’s down to stress of exams or my personality but I feel like I have matured much more than everybody in my year group and I just don’t feel a connection with them anymore but this has caused me to lose many friends and I feel veryyy lonely. I can talk to people easily but I get on with adults better than people in my own age group which I strange as I am the youngest in my year. This makes me think about sixth form because I want to go to my current schools sixth form but I feel like I won’t make any friends because it’s going to be the same people from my year group carrying onto the sixth form. Im rambling I’m sorry but I’m just very stressed and I just feel very sad. I’ve never been lonely like this before, I’ve always hadn’t people around me but now I don’t and it’s scary and unnerving and I don’t want to be alone anymore I just want to have a couple of friends and feel content but I feel like that’s never going to happen. I know I’m only 15 but university seems so long away and I’ll have to endure another 2 years and 5 months of loneliness which I don’t think I can handle! Please somebody give me some advice.
Thank you <3
Zahid~
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
First of all I just want to say that it's ok. I get you. It's completely normal to feel this way and many people do atleast once in thier lives. It's good that you've recognised this problem and have seaked help.
You mention you feel as though you have disconnected from your friends due to differences in personality or stress.
Address what causes you to stress and manage them accordingly
Your personality will continue to change and adapt as you grow. It's ok to not feel the same connection with people anymore over time. Things happen. People change. Everyone is in a very stressful time in thier lives right now so it can be hard to maintain relationships, especially if they're needy.
I'd say focus on your academic goals rather than using that energy to persue new friends. People will come and go. Just be friendly in class and at breaks and someone is bound to connect with you. Maybe you can both study together.
It can be difficult to be friends with people that are very different to you, try to look past your indifferences and find some common ground you can focus on instead.
Sixth form people will be a lot more relaxed now that GCSE is over and people would have matured a little bit too. You might find it easier to make friends.
Remember that friendships are nurtured and as such you can't expect too much straight away. Take it easy with people. Ask them what they do with thier time, what thier goals are, see if you can relate. Share when you're happy when you're sad. Offer help if you can.
We all have flaws in our personalities, if someone says something and you think there might be a bit of truth to it, work on it a little, it's part of self growth.
Last edited by Zahid~; 2 weeks ago
okurr123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hii.
Im in Year 11 and from the start of this year lost all my friends. I don’t know if that’s down to stress of exams or my personality but I feel like I have matured much more than everybody in my year group and I just don’t feel a connection with them anymore but this has caused me to lose many friends and I feel veryyy lonely. I can talk to people easily but I get on with adults better than people in my own age group which I strange as I am the youngest in my year. This makes me think about sixth form because I want to go to my current schools sixth form but I feel like I won’t make any friends because it’s going to be the same people from my year group carrying onto the sixth form. Im rambling I’m sorry but I’m just very stressed and I just feel very sad. I’ve never been lonely like this before, I’ve always hadn’t people around me but now I don’t and it’s scary and unnerving and I don’t want to be alone anymore I just want to have a couple of friends and feel content but I feel like that’s never going to happen. I know I’m only 15 but university seems so long away and I’ll have to endure another 2 years and 5 months of loneliness which I don’t think I can handle! Please somebody give me some advice.
Thank you <3
Hi, I’ve been in a similar position to you in the past so I know how it feels to feel alone at school. Although, It is quite natural to drift away from people especially when you have exams coming up so soon and everyone’s busy with their own thing and it can feel quite lonely. Changing sixth form might be a good idea if you want to meet new people, but if you stay there or not either way it will go so fast so don’t worry. Either way you will meet new people, as they might join your sixth form so don’t assume that you will never make new friends
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by okurr123)
Hi, I’ve been in a similar position to you in the past so I know how it feels to feel alone at school. Although, It is quite natural to drift away from people especially when you have exams coming up so soon and everyone’s busy with their own thing and it can feel quite lonely. Changing sixth form might be a good idea if you want to meet new people, but if you stay there or not either way it will go so fast so don’t worry. Either way you will meet new people, as they might join your sixth form so don’t assume that you will never make new friends
Thank you so much ☺️
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zahid~)
First of all I just want to say that it's ok. I get you. It's completely normal to feel this way and many people do atleast once in thier lives. It's good that you've recognised this problem and have seaked help.
You mention you feel as though you have disconnected from your friends due to differences in personality or stress.
Address what causes you to stress and manage them accordingly
Your personality will continue to change and adapt as you grow. It's ok to not feel the same connection with people anymore over time. Things happen. People change. Everyone is in a very stressful time in thier lives right now so it can be hard to maintain relationships, especially if they're needy.
I'd say focus on your academic goals rather than using that energy to persue new friends. People will come and go. Just be friendly in class and at breaks and someone is bound to connect with you. Maybe you can both study together.
It can be difficult to be friends with people that are very different to you, try to look past your indifferences and find some common ground you can focus on instead.
Sixth form people will be a lot more relaxed now that GCSE is over and people would have matured a little bit too. You might find it easier to make friends.
Remember that friendships are nurtured and as such you can't expect too much straight away. Take it easy with people. Ask them what they do with thier time, what thier goals are, see if you can relate. Share when you're happy when you're sad. Offer help if you can.
We all have flaws in our personalities, if someone says something and you think there might be a bit of truth to it, work on it a little, it's part of self growth.
This is very helpful☺️ thank you I appreciate this a lot
Meg2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hii.
Thank you <3
Hello, I just wanted to say that about 12 months ago I was in a similar position. I was coming out of a toxic relationship which was a rough time and, due to that experience, I was left feeling isolated from my friendship group. However, it is natural for you to mature and drift away from friends as that is part of life. Currently I'm in L6 and I am about to move colleges due to being unhappy socially but everyone's experience is subjective. If the sixth form at your school is good for your subjects you have to take that into consideration as well as the fact that people from outside of your school have the chance to join the sixth form; you don't know who could walk in. I'd say though just go where you will be your happiest emotionally as that will be your main incentive to work. I hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (216)
60%
No (144)
40%

Watched Threads