Why is it called feminism

Watch
Takemealiens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I do kinda know why feminism is hated.Some people are sacred of the word because other “feminist” think just women are great.That ruins reputation to the actual feminist who believe in equality,sure each gender is good at different things but equality means not to be viewed different because of something.I get that women and gender queers would’nt like the word that means equality of genders to me called “menisim” so why should it be called “feminism”?I guess I’m a feminist but that doesn’t mean that I see women better then everyone just because it says “fem” in what I call myself.I do think that feminism should be changed to a word that doesn’t lean to a gender but that it should lean to all the genders.Please don’t agrue with me and respect my views -13 year old child
Last edited by Takemealiens; 1 year ago
Idg a damn
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope I am no mysogynist or feminist I mean why do people always concern themselves with such things?
username4466290
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've got a great head on your shoulders kid I give you that. IMO it's called that to give it more impact and influence since gender equality is a "new" concept in the course of human history. It is generally gender equality but it wasn't like that until just recently. It was a long-term belief that women are inferior, right? Women have been fighting for their rights since the mid-1800s or even longer I'm sure, and the rights women have now have been given to them in separate packages like updates that you have on an app in your phone. So basically back then if you're a feminist it's not that you think females are better, it just means you support their movement for better treatment of women in general. Whether those women wanted absolute gender equality I cannot say for sure. Fast forward to today it's still called that because people are used to calling it that way. Nowadays some people are scared of "feminists" because of the aggressive way they portray feminism. As such, feminism is viewed as different from gender equality. You may correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by username4466290; 1 year ago
nightisdark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
feminism is equality of the sexes. others have misinterpreted it or feel threatened by it. it’s ridiculous.

it’s equality. recognising domestic violence against men and male suicide is a feminist prerogative. feminism. activism against FGM and oppression of women. feminism. equality.

it’s called that due to the oppression women faced in the past
Last edited by nightisdark; 1 year ago
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Those who are threatened by the word "feminism" don't understand it
Pinkisk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
What is feminism? Before you answer this question, I'm just going to let you in on my intentions. I'm going to show that your statement is in fact the opposite of reality. As in, I am going to show from your answer that you, a supporter of feminism, are in fact the one who does not understand feminism. No, I'm actually going to take it one step further and show that you don't know diddly about feminism and I'm also going to show that those who disagree with feminism generally tend to know a lot more about feminism than those who proclaim to be feminists.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 year ago
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Feminism is only about women's equality, hence the name.

Google definition: the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They've also got sensitive skin judging by the Gillette kickback.

As has already been said - feminism is the move for equality of the sexes. It's called feminism because it was a response to the absence of women's rights in the past and was driven primarily by women. Despite the regular claims by various neckbeards, it's not about female supremacy.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
They've also got sensitive skin judging by the Gillette kickback.

As has already been said - feminism is the move for equality of the sexes. It's called feminism because it was a response to the absence of women's rights in the past and was driven primarily by women. Despite the regular claims by various neckbeards, it's not about female supremacy.
And despite claims by the likes of you, it is for females. Not males who think they are 'women'.

And you are wrong. It is not the move for "equality of the sexes". It is the liberation of females from male oppression. By framing it as simply being "for equality" you are missing the key point - feminism addresses women's issues, particularly those resulting from oppression by males. In those issues they want to achieve equality, not supremacy. It however does not address men's issues, though of course many aims of feminism would help men, too. But things like custoy of children, homelessness, deaths at work (which are all valid issues, just not when the only time a bro cries about them is in response to women talking about their issues) are not directly part of feminism. Nor should they be.

I don't actually like the word "oppression", but it works as a nice catch all phrase.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
What is feminism? Before you answer this question, I'm just going to let you in on my intentions. I'm going to show that your statement is in fact the opposite of reality. As in, I am going to show from your answer that you, a supporter of feminism, are in fact the one who does not understand feminism. No, I'm actually going to take it one step further and show that you don't know diddly about feminism and I'm also going to show that those who disagree with feminism generally tend to know a lot more about feminism than those who proclaim to be feminists.
Let me guess, you will say that whatever response you get is wrong, that feminism is in fact some global conspiracy for the destruction of men and for female supremacy, hence evil and hence those that understand what it truly is are against it.
tripplea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The word MANkind is generalised to both sexes
so don’t see why FEMINism can’t be aswell. Just my opinion lol
Last edited by tripplea; 1 year ago
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tripplea)
The word MANkind is generalised to both sexes
so don’t see why FEMINism can’t be aswell. Just my opinion lol
You do know that man appears in both ‘man’ and ‘woman’?
Kaffee_1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nightisdark)
feminism is equality of the sexes. others have misinterpreted it or feel threatened by it. it’s ridiculous.

it’s equality. recognising domestic violence against men and male suicide is a feminist prerogative. feminism. activism against FGM and oppression of women. feminism. equality.

it’s called that due to the oppression women faced in the past
I’d disagree that that is the definition of feminism. It’s clear it’s mostly focused on women only issues.

Which is part of the problem cause there are different definitions of what consists feminism so there will be different interpretations on what it’s aim should be. As a bloke I think feminism that argues for women’s right and equality of opportunity is essential. There is after all a positive correlation between the education of women and reducing in poverty in developing countries.
username4470000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For me femninisn has failed a a concept. But don't believe me I am not a student yet. Look up Jordan Peterson. Men and Women are different. We should be celebrating the differences rather than trying to create a monolithic society
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yudothis)
Let me guess, you will say that whatever response you get is wrong, that feminism is in fact some global conspiracy for the destruction of men and for female supremacy, hence evil and hence those that understand what it truly is are against it.
Honestly, it's a waste of time even replying, all you're going to get is the same drivel repeated over and over again.
itsismael
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
tfw fashies start spilling into TSR
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, it's a waste of time even replying. all you're going to get is the same drivel repeated over and over again.
Thanks for doing the world a favour and keeping your opinions to yourself.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
Thanks for doing the world a favour and keeping your opinions to yourself.
I wasn't talking to you
itsismael
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Feminism isn't an attack on you or other men, it is an attack on an institution which has organically developed to assign certain gender roles to women and men. Society and the mode of production have been changing quite rapidly in the last two centuries, and therefore the traditional gender roles have started to shift. Don't try to mischaracterize it, feminists aren't only for equality or only to for women's rights, they just want to move past traditional gender roles, I mean women are now working people, and yet many labels are still associated to them. As for the fact that women and men are better at different things, that can't be objectively gauged because we aren't in a society where men and women are socialized in the exact same way. Being brought up with legos vs with barbie dolls obviously will make a difference on if you want to be a mechanical engineer or a hairdresser. That being said, women that recognize these things and still choose to stay at home or whatever are also liberated women.
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wasn't talking to you
hmmmm...You seem to be struggling not replying to people that don't agree with your views Hitler. You know what? I'ma help you out.

Welcome to Pinkisk's ignore list. Population? You.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise