How's Exeter Watch

Lok123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I'm an international student from HK, and I'm planning to go to university in 2019. I don't have a chance to visit the universities, so I read through their websites and see the virtual tours. After all, I love Exeter the most( all the course, location, accommodation, etc) and I really want to study there. Yet, I've heard that racism is quite serious in Exeter and Asian are not welcomed. I want to ask if this is true or not, and you have any other suggestions?

*I am going to do History &Ancient history
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
muthalganesan18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
East Asians don't really get racism in the UK. The 'Asians' that do get racism are usually of Muslim descent, but consequently they also appear to get most out of affirmative action too, and the latter would discriminate against Non-Muslim South Asians and East Asians the most. If you read up on racism 'against Asians' online, the more recent information would refer to what are now known as "Asian/Muslim" which are basically people from Pakistan, maybe Bangladesh, quite often more northern areas of the Middle East, but if you come across information from over a decade ago, then it would refer to Indians but with a huge dose of political correctness.

I'm not quite sure what Exeter offers a HK person in terms of location. The infrastructure in most of the UK is widely nothing like what someone who grew up in a major developed city would be used to, so I can only presume that you would be better off staying in the London area for 'best location'. Accomodation in the UK is generally sub-par mostly.

Generally speaking the UK isn't really a destination for East Asians. Hong Kong, along with other parts of the former British Empire, have educational connections with the UK that make integrating your education easier (hence why a lot of the Indians in the UK are middle class - as the UK was the 'capital' of education in the Commonwealth) but other than that there's very little for East Asians. I would also state that the UK isn't really a destination for Indians anymore too - most of them tend to head for the US or the Commonweatlh Realms for their education, and Continental Europe offers a good education at a cheaper price for those who just want an acceptable degree.
swanseajack1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lok123)
Hello, I'm an international student from HK, and I'm planning to go to university in 2019. I don't have a chance to visit the universities, so I read through their websites and see the virtual tours. After all, I love Exeter the most( all the course, location, accommodation, etc) and I really want to study there. Yet, I've heard that racism is quite serious in Exeter and Asian are not welcomed. I want to ask if this is true or not, and you have any other suggestions?

*I am going to do History &Ancient history
Exeter is an excellent university and a lovely city. Like everywhere else in the UK and probably the rest of the world some people are racist but they are a very small minority. To suggest asians arent welcome at Exeter or anywhere else is totally untrue. Last year there was a problem with racism at Exeter in the Bracton Law society. Anumber of the culprits were expelled from the university. You will probably find an asian society in Exeter. Contact them for better advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads