The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Is Southampton snobbish

I'm thinking of taking the Nursing degree at Southampton, I have a feeling i wont really fit in. Is it really up itself?
Original post by Ffisher
I'm thinking of taking the Nursing degree at Southampton, I have a feeling i wont really fit in. Is it really up itself?

I don't think the university has that stereotype/reputation, no.

@CheeseIsVeg is a chemistry student there :musicus:so hopefully she can provide some thoughts on the matter :eyeball:

Moved to University of Southampton
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Southampton while a respected university, it's actually a fairly working/lower-middle class city. Not poor, just certainly not up itself
Reply 3
ITs more the uni staff and the students i have met. They dont seem very friendly. I just wanted to know if people on average are nicer.
Original post by Ffisher

Hey :ahee: Awesome to hear you're thinking of doing Nursing at the University of Southampton :smile:
You'll definitely fit in because although there will be some exceptions, most people are really down to Earth, lovely people!
There's nobody I've met so far that I genuinely don't get on with!

Though I do study Chemistry, the staff are also really nice and are passionate in their field and to help students understand their lectures :smile:

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! Am a second year Chemistry student there :yy:

Original post by Blue_Cow
I don't think the university has that stereotype/reputation, no.

@CheeseIsVeg is a chemistry student there :musicus:so hopefully she can provide some thoughts on the matter :eyeball:

Moved to University of Southampton

:yy: Ty mew mew cew :hugs:

Original post by 5W4G_M45T3RZ
Southampton while a respected university, it's actually a fairly working/lower-middle class city. Not poor, just certainly not up itself

It's a strange City :yy: but the people are nice, lots of families around the area of the uni and a lot of fellow students working around it.
The nicest parts include the Common, the parklands in the city centre and West Quay/the dockland/marina part. Would highly recommend the Old Town also, lots of it is hidden from the eye and respectfully lots of people miss out on it!
Reply 5
well, there is the odd crackhead lurking but they're harmless. overall, money isnt really in abundance there hence there being a lack of "snobbish" people imo. i dont think you need to worry.
Reply 6
Original post by Ffisher
ITs more the uni staff and the students i have met. They dont seem very friendly. I just wanted to know if people on average are nicer.

The people that I have met here are absolutely lovely. No one cares about your background at uni as long as you're willing to get stuck in and have fun.
Original post by Ffisher

Some Unis have a reputation for being a bit up themselves, like Exeter, Bristol and Bath, but not Southampton. These Unis attract a higher % of people from private schools than Southampton, which is where the stereotype comes from, but there will be a mixture of people studying at all Unis, and Southampton as an area is not stuck up at all.
Southampton does have some people who are stereotypically "snobby" but for the most part, everyone is friendly and you'll definitely fit in!
Reply 9
Original post by Ffisher

Hey. What field of nursing have you applied for, I’m thinking of going to this uni too. I live in London ,however, I’ve visited Southampton twice for the uni and they don’t seem snobby. I remember a man started talking to me about a football match going on in the shopping mall.

Quick Reply

Latest