The Student Room Group

Help an international student (IB and Britain)

Hey, I was wondering how these predicted International Baccalaureate grades would "translate" compared to A levels... (scale 1-7)

Language A1 higher level -7
Language B higher level -7
European History higher level -7
Economics subsidiary level -7
Physics subsidiary level -5
Math Methods subsidiary level -5

so, 38 total score... Is that of Oxford quality, or should I forget about applying because of the 5s in physics and maths (applying for PPE). Please be realistic... Also, are language subjects considered "academic" enough for Oxford?
Reply 1
OK, let me redefine my question. How much does subsidiary subjects count? (I guess they are the same as AS level, and higher the same as a level?). Do universities just look at higher then, or subsidiary as well?
Most prospectuses will list IB requirements and the requirements will vary by subject - most universities will also list these details on the UCAS website (http://www.ucas.com and click on course search at the top of the window). For English at Oxford they ask for 37-42 overall but don't specify subject points...this seems standard for most of their courses.
Reply 3
They say 776, 38 points. But they also say that maths is usefull, can they reject me on the grounds that my mathematical skills are not good enough, although I meet the required criteria?
What course are you applying for?