Should prisoners be executed for transplant organs? Watch

Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Imagine this scenario. A relative has an organ failure and there is only one other known instance of a replacement organ that is the correct tissue match. It is in a prisoner who is a few months into a lengthy sentence for a heinous crime. Would you demand that the prisoner is killed for this organ?
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whenver I do this in Rimworld all the colonists get really mad at me.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Arran90)
Imagine this scenario. A relative has an organ failure and there is only one other known instance of a replacement organ that is the correct tissue match. It is in a prisoner who is a few months into a lengthy sentence for a heinous crime. Would you demand that the prisoner is killed for this organ?
You can demand anything you want, whether or not it'll happen is another story...

So the short answer is no and it's a bit of a silly question/scenario.
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And 6 months down the line new evidence emerges that demonstrates the prisoner was not guilty.

No. Terrible idea.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
Whenver I do this in Rimworld all the colonists get really mad at me.
Apparently if you install peg legs on your prisoners, and then remove the peg legs, the prisoners will no longer try to break out.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Apparently if you install peg legs on your prisoners, and then remove the peg legs, the prisoners will no longer try to break out.
Interesting. :beard: I've not had a prisoner manage to escape yet though, and can't imagine installing peg legs will warm them up to joining my colony.
B3ar93
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, for many many reasons.
The main one being that one life does not justify another. If the prisoner was condemned to die and offered the organ to be donated upon his death, that would be different.
But harvesting organs from prisoners just because they are imprisoned... Not a great plan.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm, good escape plan. You could break out, one organ at a time...
HT2412
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Absolutely not, under no circumstances should the prisoner be killed. Imagine the outrage when, a month later, it's discovered, when new evidence emerges, actually the court were wrong and he wants guilty of the crime at all. And remember that the prisoner has a family too. They shouldn't be punished, and they would be if he was killed off!
Arran90
Rep:
?
It's not a scenario I personally approve of but I have encountered a surprisingly large number of people in recent years who strongly uphold it, especially if the prisoner was convicted for murder or terrorism.

I have mentioned the issues of wrongful conviction and miscarriages of justice but it doesn't seem to alter anybody's views.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Peak TSR.
Pinkisk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
You can demand anything you want, whether or not it'll happen is another story...

So the short answer is no and it's a bit of a silly question/scenario.
Believe it or not this is actually taking place by the thousands of people every year in China. Most of the people executed are political decedents that are innocent of all crimes. You can pay for a transplant and get it within two hours in China. They literally execute people to order. You cannot make this stuff up but its true. Lots of countries (like Israel recently) have banned their citizens from getting transplants from China, which was a very popular thing until very recently.

Just a point of interest. Organs are removed from patients whilst they are still alive. This ensures the integrity of the organ. So these people in China aren't executed before the organs are removed. Their organs are removed whilst they are still alive. Its an unbelievable idea. Its horrific but there are countries out there doing it and many people from this part of the world were travelling out there to use those services, have people killed for them.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 year ago
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
Believe it or not this is actually taking place by the thousands of people every year in China. Most of the people executed are poltical desidents that are innocent of all crimes. You can pay for a transplant and get it within two hours in China. They literally execute people to order. You cannot make this stuff up but its true. Lots of countries (like Israel recently) have banned their citizens from getting transplants from China, which was a very popular thing a couple of years ago.
This might be the case.

But I'm assuming the OP is from the UK. Our justice system doesn't allow this type of behaviour.
Arran90
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
This might be the case.

But I'm assuming the OP is from the UK. Our justice system doesn't allow this type of behaviour.
What our justice systems allows does not necessarily align with public opinion.

I'm quite sure that many people think that Myra Hindley style mass murderers or (Islamic and IRA?) terrorists should pay back to society in the form of their organs and also save the taxpayer millions of pounds in the process.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Arran90)
What our justice systems allows does not necessarily align with public opinion.
And thank goodness for that... There's a reason why the judiciary is staffed with critical thinkers and folks with jurisprudence backgrounds. There's a reason why our legislature revolves around elected *representatives* who try to make what they think is the best decision for the country on our behalf. There's a reason why select committees exist to investigate and scrutinise rather than going back and forth with referendums to see if Joe public would like the return of capital punishment...

It's very easy to appeal to emotions and bring up the likes of Myra Hindley or scumbag **** terrorists when trying to make the case for acts of savagery (make no mistake, this idea is nothing short of barbarism) but if the people advocating for this kind of punishment would actually sit down, put emotions aside and think about what they're saying rationally, then they wouldn't have suggested such an idea in the first place. It's just intellectually lazy to attempt to support your argument by appealing to people this way rather than laying out the facts of the matter, the possible ethical implications on the medical side of things and whatnot.

This is exactly why the justice system and the law doesn't necessarily align with public opinion and why we entrust experts...

(I'm typing this from my phone and I'm very tired. I have put no effort into grammar or proof reading)
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 year ago
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. I saw a movie where someone got a possessed hand and he had to chainsaw it off to stop it's evil deeds.
I fear the same thing will happen if schemes like this are allowed to happen except it will be a lot harder to chainsaw a kidney off.
username4350740
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No.How on earth would you claim to have any moral superiority to criminals? Sure they might have murdered someone but you just cut them open and took their organs.That makes you just as bad as them.Probably worse in fact.They probably did it in the heat of the moment whilst you are just coldly and sadistically torturing them.
Its like when murderers kill child abusers in prison.Why? You are just as bad as them.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its true that people, including children die every day just because much of the population would rather take their organs into the grave with them.

But this will not solve the problem. Better solutions would include an opt-out system, or even not allowing people not on the register to get transplants.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (44)
24.31%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
26.52%
No (89)
49.17%

Watched Threads