A Level OCR Chemistry Electrochemical Cells Questions

Watch
username4386034
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have a booklet that we have been asked to work through.
I have completed most of the questions so I'm not going to bother typing them out as it will take time.
The only question I'm stuck on is this:

A company was investigating the corrosion of metal parts used in oil rigs in the North Sea. Chemists took two identical bolts. One was unused and the other had been exposed to the seawater for several weeks. They reacted each bolt with dilute sulphuric acid. All the unreacted iron was converted to Fe2+ (aq) ions and the rust reacted to form Fe3+ (aq).

(a) Describe how the chemists would dissolve one bolt and make up the solution to 1.00 dm3.

The chemists investigated making the bolts from a nickel-copper alloy that has high strength and resistance to corrosion. They reacted the alloy with sulphuric acid and filtered off the unreacted solid, which they found was copper.

Ni2+ + 2e- --> Ni -0.25 V
2H+ + 2e- --> H2 0.00 V
Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu +0.34 V

(b) Use the electrode potentials in the table and explain why only the nickel reacts.

Hope you can help answer these 2 questions
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by eilloh)
I have a booklet that we have been asked to work through.
I have completed most of the questions so I'm not going to bother typing them out as it will take time.
The only question I'm stuck on is this:

A company was investigating the corrosion of metal parts used in oil rigs in the North Sea. Chemists took two identical bolts. One was unused and the other had been exposed to the seawater for several weeks. They reacted each bolt with dilute sulphuric acid. All the unreacted iron was converted to Fe2+ (aq) ions and the rust reacted to form Fe3+ (aq).

(a) Describe how the chemists would dissolve one bolt and make up the solution to 1.00 dm3.

The chemists investigated making the bolts from a nickel-copper alloy that has high strength and resistance to corrosion. They reacted the alloy with sulphuric acid and filtered off the unreacted solid, which they found was copper.

Ni2+ + 2e- --> Ni -0.25 V
2H+ + 2e- --> H2 0.00 V
Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu +0.34 V

(b) Use the electrode potentials in the table and explain why only the nickel reacts.

Hope you can help answer these 2 questions
Yes, I can help.

You tell me what you are doing and I'll tell you where to go ...
username4386034
Rep:
?
i don’t even know where to start with answering the questionhence why i’m asking for help
charco
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i don’t even know where to start with answering the questionhence why i’m asking for help
surely you know how to answer part (a) ...
username4386034
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
surely you know how to answer part (a) ...
no
charco
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
no
The question tells you to dissolve it in sulfuric acid and then make the solution up to 1000ml.

What is there not to understand?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (10)
6.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (25)
16.78%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
16.78%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (42)
28.19%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.45%

Watched Threads