Sarahbrown135
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I need an example of both endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zietgebers applications in everyday life. Could anyone help?
username4466290
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Don't know if you already found the answer but in case you still haven't...

Endogenous pacemakers (EP), or your internal biological clocks, can be altered by exogenous zietgebers (EZ).

An example would be the suprachiasmatic nucleus, the main EP located in the hypothalamus, sending signals to the pineal gland to release melatonin (a hormone that makes you sleep) when it receives signals about the levels of light in the environment from the optic nerve. In this case, these two (EP and EZ) are responsible for the time you sleep and wake up. This is of course assuming that you aren't dead tired and your body doesn't badly need rest. Those people in the arctic are also affected by this albeit with factors other than light playing key roles. This would also be the reason why you experience jetlag.

Another example would be the gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neurons, also located in the hypothalamus, that stimulates the pituitary gland to produce follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) which is responsible for egg development causing the estrogen to rise in women, being affected by the pheromones secreted by other women. In this case, the EP and EZ are responsible for the menstrual cycle being shortened or lengthened. So if you're a girl and you smell another girl's armpit, keep in mind that she may be affecting your menstrual cycle, although for what reason you would be doing this I have no idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads