The Student Room Group

Living as a student

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knows roughly how much funding a 25 year old student living with parents would get while studying?
Also are we paid while out on placement or is it voluntary?
Anyone attending dundee university and studying nursing know what the timetable is like and would i be able to work alongside studying?

Thanks
Hi, I can help
Hi i can help with the funding part. As you are 25, your student finance will only take into consideration your income and not your parents as you are classed as an independent student. Aslong as your income is under (don’t quote me on this) i think 25K then you will be entitled to the full maintenance loan for living at home which was around £7300 last year (the 19/20 year isn’t available to view yet, but in the past it has always gone up and not down) At least that is why I’ve been told as I’m 25 also :smile: And sorry, pressed send accidently before finishing!
Original post by Miss_Tee9
Hi i can help with the funding part. As you are 25, your student finance will only take into consideration your income and not your parents as you are classed as an independent student. Aslong as your income is under (don’t quote me on this) i think 25K then you will be entitled to the full maintenance loan for living at home which was around £7300 last year (the 19/20 year isn’t available to view yet, but in the past it has always gone up and not down) At least that is why I’ve been told as I’m 25 also :smile: And sorry, pressed send accidently before finishing!

Thank you so much thats put me at ease a bit. I was worried about how much i was going to get to cover my bills. I am planning to still work part time if thats possible but will see how i get on. Really appreciated your help. Thanks again xx
Hi, I can help

Thank you for your help. Sadly i cant see the rest of your message as you have replied through the app or something and it won't download onto my laptop. I will try on my phone and see if it works and get back to you. x
Original post by Clairepage93
Thank you so much thats put me at ease a bit. I was worried about how much i was going to get to cover my bills. I am planning to still work part time if thats possible but will see how i get on. Really appreciated your help. Thanks again xx

No worries and glad i could help :smile: Theres an article i found on Manchester uni which has the amounts for the 19/20 year for all students. If entitled to the full living at home maintenance loan then it will be £7529. I’ll try and add the link to the document for you.

The loan get split up into pretty much 3 even instalments in late September, January and then April. If you’re good with money, that £7529 works out around £620ish a month. You could try to be disciplined and spend it that way because then that could be the equivalent of a part time income? Of course, if you have the time to do part time work aswell then it’s great to know you have your maintenance loan as a back up.

If you haven’t already, I’d also check your uni for any bursaries they may offer

http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=41242
If you have any other questions you can always PM me and i’ll try my best to help hun xx
No worries and glad i could help :smile: Theres an article i found on Manchester uni which has the amounts for the 19/20 year for all students. If entitled to the full living at home maintenance loan then it will be £7529. I’ll try and add the link to the document for you.

The loan get split up into pretty much 3 even instalments in late September, January and then April. If you’re good with money, that £7529 works out around £620ish a month. You could try to be disciplined and spend it that way because then that could be the equivalent of a part time income? Of course, if you have the time to do part time work aswell then it’s great to know you have your maintenance loan as a back up.

If you haven’t already, I’d also check your uni for any bursaries they may offer

http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=41242

sorry for the late reply and thank you for your advice it was very helpful. I have barely had time to breath at the moment with all these reports that are due in over the next few weeks. can't stop stressing about it all. i will have a look at the link you have attached. Thanks again for all your help. :smile:
Original post by Clairepage93
sorry for the late reply and thank you for your advice it was very helpful. I have barely had time to breath at the moment with all these reports that are due in over the next few weeks. can't stop stressing about it all. i will have a look at the link you have attached. Thanks again for all your help. :smile:

Hey it’s no problem, I hope you manage to finish all your reports on time. I’ve just had a look and you can now apply for student finance for the 19/20 year so that’ll be able to confirm what you’ll be eligible for :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest