Moving to Scotland Watch

ArieT
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Soo i'm moving to scotland after my GCSE and i'm really not sure about how things work there. I've researched for some stuff but it's really all confusing.I know they don't do A-levels there but
I really need help - How different is the educational system?
What happens? how does everything work?

I'd love some help!!!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ArieT)
Soo i'm moving to scotland after my GCSE and i'm really not sure about how things work there. I've researched for some stuff but it's really all confusing.I know they don't do A-levels there but
I really need help - How different is the educational system?
What happens? how does everything work?

I'd love some help!!!
You'll do highers and then advanced highers. Highers is slightly harder than AS level and is completed in 1 year- you tend to take 5 subjects (two normally are english and maths but don't have to be). Advanced highers are slightly harder than A-levels and tend to be compared to as first year of uni in scotland. You tend to take 3 and complete them in the year, of course in the final year you can choose to a mix of highers and advanced highers if you want
ArieT
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
You'll do highers and then advanced highers. Highers is slightly harder than AS level and is completed in 1 year- you tend to take 5 subjects (two normally are english and maths but don't have to be). Advanced highers are slightly harder than A-levels and tend to be compared to as first year of uni in scotland. You tend to take 3 and complete them in the year, of course in the final year you can choose to a mix of highers and advanced highers if you want
Hey thank you for responding! Is it true that you don't have to do advanced highers? I read somewhere that after highers you could just go to uni.Let's say you did Advanced highers ,is the amount of years for your course in uni lowered down for example if you were to do 4 years but then instead do 3. Is that right or not?
As you said i'd have to do highers- is that like in a secondary school where a majority of people go or is it seperate?
Last edited by ArieT; 2 weeks ago
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ArieT)
Hey thank you for responding! Is it true that you don't have to do advanced highers? I read somewhere that after highers you could just go to uni.Let's say you do Advnced highers is the amount of years for your course in uni lowered down for example if you were to do 4 years but then instead do 3. Is that right or not?
As you said i'd have to do highers- is that like in a secondary school where a majority of people go or is it seperate?
Yes the majority of courses let you in with just highers. However, most people stay in school to do advanced highers (or more highers) so that they are 18 when they start.
I don't quite understand the second question. You could go into second year of uni in scotland if you did advanced highers, but most go into first if that's what you mean by go from 4 to 3 years?
Highers is in secondary school- it's not done in a different place compared to nat 5's (our equivalent of GCSE)
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Yes the majority of courses let you in with just highers. However, most people stay in school to do advanced highers (or more highers) so that they are 18 when they start.
I don't quite understand the second question. You could go into second year of uni in scotland if you did advanced highers, but most go into first if that's what you mean by go from 4 to 3 years?
Highers is in secondary school- it's not done in a different place compared to nat 5's (our equivalent of GCSE)
Ahhhh ok thankyou again! Now i'm actually nervous. Technically i was prepared to stay and only do 3 subjects then i find out that i'm moving and i'm going to have to do 5 subjects.
ellie1964
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ahhhh ok thankyou again! Now i'm actually nervous. Technically i was prepared to stay and only do 3 subjects then i find out that i'm moving and i'm going to have to do 5 subjects.
Hey!

I know you’ve already had a response on this but just wanted to reassure you not to be too worried. Doing 5 subjects is hard work but it’s meant to give you greater breadth than going from 12 subjects to 3 all at once. If you work hard and your teachers support you in your adjustment then it’s perfectly reasonable to get a good set of As and Bs or even straight As. Your subjects choices are up to you, but generally taking either English or Maths or both is advised because unis normally want to see that you’ve done one or the other.

Technically the Scottish system is designed so that you could leave in 5th year with your set of Highers and go on to uni at 17. The four year uni course then makes up for that extra year. First year uni work is equivalent to Advanced Highers so they really do bridge the gap between school and uni. If you’re planning on staying for a sixth year (I definitely would) then I’d advise taking one or two AH’s and maybe another Higher. You may have to do three if you’re planning on applying for courses in England and especially if you’re thinking about courses like medicine. Sixth year is also great because it’s a safety net. If you don’t get the grades in 5th year then you can pick up more Highers or resit to try and get the grades. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by ellie1964; 2 weeks ago
ArieT
Rep:
?
Thankyou so much for the assurance! It was just that i was really trying to avoid doing maths and English after my GCSE. Anyhow like you said it's all about working hard and hard work pays in the end(Hopefully)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (83)
58.87%
No (58)
41.13%

Watched Threads