The Student Room Group

Is this cheating?

So I am on a Level 3 ICT Course and we have a lot of class work and assignments to do.

Virtually all of of these involve reearching a topic and then typing up a report or presentation.

But the thing is, we are not allowed to copy and paste off the internet. The tutors always say "needs to be in your own words". And like pretty much every other college, we use the dreaded Turnitin which as everyone knows is like a bloodhound when it comes to detecting
similar words/sentence structure.

So what I now tend to when doing an assignment or a peice of work is to research the question/task and then copy and paste an extract (not the whole thing but usually an extract or two) from a source (usually I will use many different sources, I won't just copy everything from an entire site) and then paste it into Microsoft Word.

I will then highlight it and put it in bold so I know it's been copied. I will then re-write the text underneath, replacing as many words as I can with synomyms (words that mean the same/similar thing) and also attempt to change the sentence structure whenever I can.

For example, I often replace "allow" with "enable" and "because" with "as" and vice-versa.

I will then copy a few of the re-worded sentences (as well as the entire paragraph) into Google/Bing and if I can't see the original source on the first page then I am usually content. Sometimes it will flag up on the 1st or 2nd page of results, and it shows the matched words in bold. I will then change the related words and paste the new sentence into a search engine again until it no longer comes up on the 1st or 2nd page.

When I first started this course back in September, I was pretty crap at re-wording, sometimes only changing one word in an entire sentence, which of course isn't enough.

However, I now find it to be the quickest and easiest way to do an assignment. Researching, reading and processing text from mutiple different websites and then having to remember it all and re-write it from memory is often just too difficult for me, esspecially if it's something I don't know much about eg Event Driven Programming which I am doing at the moment.

On my first ever practice assignment I got about 37% similarity on Turnitin, however now it tends to be more like 15-25% which is acceptable for most assignments.

Sometimes I will type the assignment task into Google and it will come up with a few blog-style posts of students who have done the same peice of work, and it's literally all there for me - all I have to do is simply copy the work and re-word it just enough so that Turnitin is unlikely to detect it. :smile:

A few weeks back I made a thread asking whether I should use an online spinner tool to do the re-wording for me but a lot of people said it was cheating:

I have now decided to re-word the text myself instead, though I occasionally still do use free online text spinners from time-to-time.

Anyway, here a few examples that I have done below (these are extracts from a couple of assignments that I am currently working on):

Assignment 1 - Understand the key features of Event Driven Programs: Time driven, Event handlers, Trigger functions, Events, Event loops, Forms, Flexibility, Suitability for graphical interfaces, Simplicity of programming, Ease of development, Service oriented and Disadvantages.

Copied text: Event handlers in event driven programming are designed to run a specific action when a specific event is triggered. There are numerous event handlers an example of some are the keys in your keyboard when the letter "t" is clicked wile in word document it
sends a signal to input that letter, also the "Ctrl + Alt + Del" buttons are clicked together it sends a signal to start up task manager on your system. Also mouse movements trigger a software routine that processes its actions to what the curse is doing on the display.

Re-worded text: When using Event Driven Programming, Event Handlers were created to start a certain activity whenever a certain event occurs. There are several event handlers, some examples include pressing a letter on the keyboard transmits a signal to the computer, causing that letter to appear on the screen when using a word-processing application eg Microsoft Office. Another example is when the Control+Alt+Delete keys and pressed in order, it starts the Task Manager in Windows. Moving the mouse also triggers the OS to
correspond to what the mouse pointer is doing on the screen.

Copied text: Many devices have trigger functions with a specific event that runs for it. For example automated doors have a sensor that when someone is in proximity of the sensor it sends a signal to open the doors, also at reading college they use chips in ID cards for when the card is touched to a reader by the entrance, it sends a signal to the collages database of whose card it is and if they have access to enter if test is passed the gate is unlocked letting the person in.

Re-worded text: Most electronic devices have a Trigger Function. Some examples include automatic doors. They have a detector that can sense when a person is nearby. It then transmits a signal to open up the doors. For security reasons, some colleges use microchips
in student ID badges. If a student wishes to enter the building, he/she must scan their card on a scanner at the doors. It then transmits a signal to the colleges computer system. The system then recognizes who it is and lets the student in.

Copied text: A petrol attendant performs the following actions when serving a customer:

greet customer
ask for required type of petrol and amount
ask whether customer needs other services
ask for required amount of money
give money to cashier
wait for change and receipt
give change and receipt to customer
say thank you and goodbye

A petrol attendant performs these steps for each customer, but he does not follow them when there is no customer to serve. He also only performs them when it is his shift. If we were to write a computer program to simulate this behaviour, it would not be enough just to provide the steps and ask the computer to repeat them over and over. We would also need to tell it when to stop executing them.

Re-worded text: A hotel attendant completes these activities in order when dealing with a guest:

1. Wait at reception
2. Greet guest
3. Enquire if they would like their luggage carried for them
4. Carry luggage to room.
5. Enquire whether the guest wants any other services
6. Show the guest around their room
7. Say goodbye
8. Go back to reception

A hotel attendant implements these tasks for every guest, however, when there isnā€™t a guest to assist, he doesnā€™t follow them. Additionally, he will only carry them out when he is at work.

Let's say we were going to create a computer program to replicate his conduct, it would be insufficient to only supply the different stages and then tell the computer program to carry out the same text again and again. The computer would also require to be told at what point to stop running the script.

Copied text: event driven programming is very suitable for graphic interfaces due to the range of event commands that are available which prove very compatible with graphic interfaces e.g. mouseover, keystroke, click or touch event the suitability of these events when using graphical buttons labels or textboxes is very effective.

Re-worded text: The suitability of Event Driven Programmes means that it is very useful for creating user interfaces. This is because of the wide variety of event commands that are obtainable. When utlizing objects such as text boxes, buttons or list boxes, these turn out to be really well-matched and powerful when it comes to creating graphical user interfaces.

Copied text: It is easy to develop using event driven programming because of certain debugging tools and being able to test the application by skipping certain parts of code for example you would like to test if a device will be able to read the data of a debit card and process a transaction. You will be able to skip the part where the card actually gets charged and complete the programs cycle.

Re-worded text: Creating an application using Event Driven Programming is simple. This is because the program contains debugging tools which allow you to test it by letting you bypass particular sections of the code.

An example of this would be if you were testing a gadget that has the ability to look at the info on a credit card and calculate a financial transaction. You can bypass the section where the credit card gets billed and finish the program loop.

Copied text: Event driven programming can be a lot easier and simple to use and to program as it is very visual, when creating things such as buttons you can simply just select it, place it onto a form and then just add code to the button so it has some use to the program, this makes it easier to use and more simple as you donā€™t need to write the code to create things like buttons, you just need to add code to them, this can also save a lot of time, makes programming simple and can make the development process easier.*Pre-written code can also be used, you can also select commands from drop down lists, which shows commands that can be used, this makes developing a program faster, simple and easier.

Re-worded text: When designing objects such as buttons, you can easily just drag it onto the form from the Toolbox and simply make code for the object so that it has a useful purpose. There is no requirement to write code to create objects such as textboxes, listboxes, or labels, just drag and drop them onto the form and add code so that they perform an action when the end-user clicks them. You can also use code that has been written by someone else as well.

Sources: (I have not actually referenced these in the assignment, I have just provided these so you know where I got the info from).

https://prezi.com/boitgjmuue42/key-features-of-event-driven-programming/

https://python-textbok.readthedocs.io/en/1.0/Loop_Control_Statements.html

https://prezi.com/kazk3ozh62wb/key-features-of-event-driven-programs/

https://zakkcuthbertunit14eventdrivenprogramming.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/key-features-of-

event-driven-programs/
http://reece-burrows-media.blogspot.com/2013/11/key-features-of-event-driven-programming.html

Assignment 2 - (D1) In your report analyse the interpersonal and written communications you have used in this unit and other units criticising or justifying any actions that you took. Where you believe that you have made a mistake, state what alternative course of action you would take in the future.

Copied text: The sharing of information between individuals by using speech. Individuals working within a business need to effectively use verbal communication that employs readily understood spoken words, as well as ensuring that the enunciation, stress and tone of voice with which the words are expressed is appropriate.

Re-worded text: Verbal communication means the distribution of knowledge amongst people by means of dialogue. Anybody employed in a commercial environment requires to successfully convey spoken messages that uses easily assumed vocal sounds, in addition to certifying that the clarity, empahizaion and manner of voice in which the words are stated is correct.

Copied text: Nonverbal communication is the nonlinguistic transmission of information through visual, auditory, tactile, and kinesthetic channels. It includes the use of visual cues such as body language, distance and physical environments/appearance, of voice and of touch.

Re-worded text: Nonverbal communication means communicating without speaking, instead transferring knowledge over optical, audio, and physical means. It contains the utilization of graphical signals for example, body language, space and tangble surroundings/presence, of speech and of contact.

Sources: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/verbal-communication.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonverbal_communication
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, it's really not cheating, but I think if you read over the material, you'll actually be able to understand. And also, don't plagiarize. Good luck at school
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CollegeStudent99

However, I now find it to be the quickest and easiest way to do an assignment. Researching, reading and processing text from mutiple different websites and then having to remember it all and re-write it from memory is often just too difficult for me, esspecially if it's something I don't know much about eg Event Driven Programming which I am doing at the moment.

With that being the case, how do you even know whether the text you've picked up is even correct, letalone the version that you've written? Some of the sources you're copying from seem to have originated from other students -- how do you know whether the students who posted their assignments online even picked up a good grade for their work?

I can tell from reading some of the source material that you've linked to that it has been written by people who don't seem to fully understand the topic themselves; some of the information you've re-worded was inaccurate to begin with, but you seem to be placing a lot of trust in this material without really doing the research to understand it yourself or seeking any alternative explanations from other sources.

This is one of many reasons why what you're doing is counter-productive; all the effort you're putting in and the time you're spending to avoid actually learning and understanding the topic is now leading you to pick up false information and include it in your assignment. (Not all of it of course, some of it is accurate, but you're wading through a mixture of good and bad information)

Why not spend that time trying to understand the topic instead? That way, you'd be able to recognise when you stumble across misleading information, and be able to write much better answers which answer the assignment you've been given. The first rule of using the internet to research a topic is not to blindly assume that information you find online is accurate -- while you can find some great information online, the amount of 'bad' misinformation you'll find always outweighs the good. If you spend the time researching the information you've found, checking all the facts and understanding what the concepts are really all about, you'd stand a much better chance at being able to distinguish between good and bad information when you're reading it.
Well it payed off anyway. :smile: Just checked the Turnitin report and got 7%, my lowest score yet, and most of that 7% was just the task brief which I always copy and place at the start so I don't have to keep reffering back to the assignment brief document.

Didn't detect a single Internet Source, with just very few highlighted words where it detected a very weak match to students work from another college somewhere.

I'm very impressed that I've finally found a way to beat Turnitin! :biggrin::wink:
I was just wondering is the point of the assignment to 'beat' TurnItIn or is it to try to learn something?
your doing this course to learn, whats the point in getting the qualification if you have none of the skills to apply to further study or work?
I see there are a couple of new replies to this thread. The point is I am still learning because I always read over the information. Currently finishing off my Unit 10 Communication Technology, I've already got all the passes ie P2, P3, P5 etc, currently doing the merits and distinctions.

I find Callum Smith's blog to be an excellent helping hand for this unit.

https://callumsmith97.weebly.com/

Thanks for the work!! :wink

In all serious though, all I am doing is paraphrasing. There's nothing wrong with that now it there?

From Wikipedia: A paraphrase /ĖˆpƦrəfreÉŖz/ is a restatement of the meaning of a text or passage using other words.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraphrase

An example of some re-wording I have done today:

Original Text:

Coaxial - Coaxial in terms of transmission is defined as the transmission of data by the use of two concentric conductors which are separated by an insulator. An advantage of coaxial wiring is very inexpensive compared to other methods, and also doesnā€™t allow interference to have an impact on the quality of video and image (its main purpose. Coaxial wiring is generally for televisions, an example of this would be sky boxes etc.). A disadvantage of coaxial transmission is that the wires are generally large in size, and they can sometimes be hard to install, and remove because they screw onto the electronic device. Other methods may not be used because they cannot guarantee no interference to the signal from other sources.

Re-worded text:

Coaxial is where the data is transmitted through 2 concentric conductors that are disconnected from each other through padding. Coaxial cable has a metal shield to help prevent interference and is used to provide satellite TV to homes and businesses.

One advantage of this transmission method is that it is cheap when you look at other techniques. There is also less interference and more bandwidth compared to the twisted pair cable. The main advantage however is that any interference doesnā€™t affect the picture/video quality.

This type of cable is most commonly used for cable TV eg Sky, Virgin Media etc.

The disadvantages of this method however is that the cable is big, unwieldy and is more expensive over long distances compared to other types of cable. They are also not easy to setup or remove either because you have to screw them on.
The major disadvantage in your strategy is that a person who avoids thinking for himself for long enough will certainly lose the ability to do so. You are likely to emerge into the real world having lost the skills you had rather than having honed those you had and developing new ones.
In all serious though, all I am doing is paraphrasing. There's nothing wrong with that now it there?

As has been pointed out many times, all you are really doing is disadvantaging yourself, but you seem to be ignoring everybody else's advice, so I'm not really sure why you're even bothering continuing to post on the subject.
Um, it is a little, as you're still plaugurising other peoples work and hard effort. But it seems to work, and since you're not copying it directly, can't really say it's cheating.
I'm interested in how you actually cite your sources/use references then, given that you seem obsessed with paraphrasing everything into 'your own words'.
Yes, it is cheating.

I have caught student doing exactly what you are doing (perhaps not as carefully) and they have been punished.

The reason it is cheating is that you are passing off someone else's work as your own.

There is something wrong with paraphrasing if you have not made it clear that is what you are doing i.e. citing your source and explicitly saying you are paraphrasing.

Cheating is pretending you understand when you don't. As you mentioned in the OP you find this subject difficult, which is why you are cheating. Instead, put your effort into actually understanding what you are learning. Then you could actually write your assignments in your own words.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Are you uploading the paragraphs you are posting on this site? Iā€™m pretty sure that would show up for TurnItIn.
Probably not a great idea to paste your newly written work on the Internet for all to see, including tutors, lecturers and teachers.

Some of the stuff you're posting would legit take 5 minutes to read about, process, write about and then check over. By avoiding it you're just building up a huge knowledge gap that you're constantly trying to fill by not fully processing the information which is just going to keep rolling over until your brain has no clue what's going on. If you can't write a sentence about co-ax after reading over three paragraphs then you should probably be worrying that you don't know how to read academically. turnitin is constantly getting smarter and there'll come a day where relying on your system bites you in the arse for the sake of avoiding actually understanding what you're reading.
I wouldn't say that it's cheating but you need to make sure that you understand what you are copying and pasting. Good luck!
So I am on a Level 3 ICT Course and we have a lot of class work and assignments to do.

Virtually all of of these involve reearching a topic and then typing up a report or presentation.

But the thing is, we are not allowed to copy and paste off the internet. The tutors always say "needs to be in your own words". And like pretty much every other college, we use the dreaded Turnitin which as everyone knows is like a bloodhound when it comes to detecting

So what I now tend to when doing an assignment or a peice of work is to research the question/task and then copy and paste an extract (not the whole thing but usually an extract or two) from a source (usually I will use many different sources, I won't just copy everything from an entire site) and then paste it into Microsoft Word.

I will then highlight it and put it in bold so I know it's been copied. I will then re-write the text underneath, replacing as many words as I can with synomyms (words that mean the same/similar thing) and also attempt to change the sentence structure whenever I can.

For example, I often replace "allow" with "enable" and "because" with "as" and vice-versa.

I will then copy a few of the re-worded sentences (as well as the entire paragraph) into Google/Bing and if I can't see the original source on the first page then I am usually content. Sometimes it will flag up on the 1st or 2nd page of results, and it shows the matched words in bold. I will then change the related words and paste the new sentence into a search engine again until it no longer comes up on the 1st or 2nd page.

When I first started this course back in September, I was pretty crap at re-wording, sometimes only changing one word in an entire sentence, which of course isn't enough.

On my first ever practice assignment I got about 37% similarity on Turnitin, however now it tends to be more like 15-25% which is acceptable for most assignments.

Sometimes I will type the assignment task into Google and it will come up with a few blog-style posts of students who have done the same peice of work, and it's literally all there for me - all I have to do is simply copy the work and re-word it just enough so that Turnitin is unlikely to detect it. :smile:

A few weeks back I made a thread asking whether I should use an online spinner tool to do the re-wording for me but a lot of people said it was cheating:

I have now decided to re-word the text myself instead, though I occasionally still do use free online text spinners from time-to-time.

Anyway, here a few examples that I have done below (these are extracts from a couple of assignments that I am currently working on):

Assignment 1 - Understand the key features of Event Driven Programs: Time driven, Event handlers, Trigger functions, Events, Event loops, Forms, Flexibility, Suitability for graphical interfaces, Simplicity of programming, Ease of development, Service oriented and Disadvantages.

Copied text: Event handlers in event driven programming are designed to run a specific action when a specific event is triggered. There are numerous event handlers an example of some are the keys in your keyboard when the letter "t" is clicked wile in word document it
sends a signal to input that letter, also the "Ctrl + Alt + Del" buttons are clicked together it sends a signal to start up task manager on your system. Also mouse movements trigger a software routine that processes its actions to what the curse is doing on the display.

Re-worded text: When using Event Driven Programming, Event Handlers were created to start a certain activity whenever a certain event occurs. There are several event handlers, some examples include pressing a letter on the keyboard transmits a signal to the computer, causing that letter to appear on the screen when using a word-processing application eg Microsoft Office. Another example is when the Control+Alt+Delete keys and pressed in order, it starts the Task Manager in Windows. Moving the mouse also triggers the OS to

Copied text: Many devices have trigger functions with a specific event that runs for it. For example automated doors have a sensor that when someone is in proximity of the sensor it sends a signal to open the doors, also at reading college they use chips in ID cards for when the card is touched to a reader by the entrance, it sends a signal to the collages database of whose card it is and if they have access to enter if test is passed the gate is unlocked letting the person in.

Re-worded text: Most electronic devices have a Trigger Function. Some examples include automatic doors. They have a detector that can sense when a person is nearby. It then transmits a signal to open up the doors. For security reasons, some colleges use microchips
in student ID badges. If a student wishes to enter the building, he/she must scan their card on a scanner at the doors. It then transmits a signal to the colleges computer system. The system then recognizes who it is and lets the student in.

Copied text: A petrol attendant performs the following actions when serving a customer:

greet customer
give money to cashier

A petrol attendant performs these steps for each customer, but he does not follow them when there is no customer to serve. He also only performs them when it is his shift. If we were to write a computer program to simulate this behaviour, it would not be enough just to provide the steps and ask the computer to repeat them over and over. We would also need to tell it when to stop executing them.

Re-worded text: A hotel attendant completes these activities in order when dealing with a guest:

1. Wait at reception
2. Greet guest
7. Say goodbye
8. Go back to reception

A hotel attendant implements these tasks for every guest, however, when there isnā€™t a guest to assist, he doesnā€™t follow them. Additionally, he will only carry them out when he is at work.

Let's say we were going to create a computer program to replicate his conduct, it would be insufficient to only supply the different stages and then tell the computer program to carry out the same text again and again. The computer would also require to be told at what point to stop running the script.

Copied text: event driven programming is very suitable for graphic interfaces due to the range of event commands that are available which prove very compatible with graphic interfaces e.g. mouseover, keystroke, click or touch event the suitability of these events when using graphical buttons labels or textboxes is very effective.

Re-worded text: The suitability of Event Driven Programmes means that it is very useful for creating user interfaces. This is because of the wide variety of event commands that are obtainable. When utlizing objects such as text boxes, buttons or list boxes, these turn out to be really well-matched and powerful when it comes to creating graphical user interfaces.

Copied text: It is easy to develop using event driven programming because of certain debugging tools and being able to test the application by skipping certain parts of code for example you would like to test if a device will be able to read the data of a debit card and process a transaction. You will be able to skip the part where the card actually gets charged and complete the programs cycle.

Re-worded text: Creating an application using Event Driven Programming is simple. This is because the program contains debugging tools which allow you to test it by letting you bypass particular sections of the code.

An example of this would be if you were testing a gadget that has the ability to look at the info on a credit card and calculate a financial transaction. You can bypass the section where the credit card gets billed and finish the program loop.

Copied text: Event driven programming can be a lot easier and simple to use and to program as it is very visual, when creating things such as buttons you can simply just select it, place it onto a form and then just add code to the button so it has some use to the program, this makes it easier to use and more simple as you donā€™t need to write the code to create things like buttons, you just need to add code to them, this can also save a lot of time, makes programming simple and can make the development process easier.*Pre-written code can also be used, you can also select commands from drop down lists, which shows commands that can be used, this makes developing a program faster, simple and easier.

Re-worded text: When designing objects such as buttons, you can easily just drag it onto the form from the Toolbox and simply make code for the object so that it has a useful purpose. There is no requirement to write code to create objects such as textboxes, listboxes, or labels, just drag and drop them onto the form and add code so that they perform an action when the end-user clicks them. You can also use code that has been written by someone else as well.

Sources: (I have not actually referenced these in the assignment, I have just provided these so you know where I got the info from).

https://zakkcuthbertunit14eventdrivenprogramming.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/key-features-of-

event-driven-programs/
http://reece-burrows-media.blogspot.com/2013/11/key-features-of-event-driven-programming.html

Assignment 2 - (D1) In your report analyse the interpersonal and written communications you have used in this unit and other units criticising or justifying any actions that you took. Where you believe that you have made a mistake, state what alternative course of action you would take in the future.

Copied text: The sharing of information between individuals by using speech. Individuals working within a business need to effectively use verbal communication that employs readily understood spoken words, as well as ensuring that the enunciation, stress and tone of voice with which the words are expressed is appropriate.

Re-worded text: Verbal communication means the distribution of knowledge amongst people by means of dialogue. Anybody employed in a commercial environment requires to successfully convey spoken messages that uses easily assumed vocal sounds, in addition to certifying that the clarity, empahizaion and manner of voice in which the words are stated is correct.

Copied text: Nonverbal communication is the nonlinguistic transmission of information through visual, auditory, tactile, and kinesthetic channels. It includes the use of visual cues such as body language, distance and physical environments/appearance, of voice and of touch.

Re-worded text: Nonverbal communication means communicating without speaking, instead transferring knowledge over optical, audio, and physical means. It contains the utilization of graphical signals for example, body language, space and tangble surroundings/presence, of speech and of contact.

I know this post is 1 month old but it just popped up...

Turnitin is not a bloodhound, its fairly weak from my experience. I rarely got a score over 10% and even then the only bit that really flags up is reference section/bibliography.

Why don't you just try doing the work properly and if u have to re-word the odd sentence that's particularly difficult to not use then that's ok (if correctly cited).

I cant help but think of the btec stereotype reading this ridiculous post...
quite frankly 37% similarity is crazy, i don't know why they didn't kick you out for academic misconduct at that point, seems to me you've been quite lucky your institution hasn't taken serious action
what exactly are you learning from doing this course, besides cheating turnitin
Thought u were gonna say cheating in a relationship lol

greet customer
give money to cashier

1. Wait at reception
2. Greet guest
7. Say goodbye
8. Go back to reception

event-driven-programs/

greet customer
give money to cashier

1. Wait at reception
2. Greet guest
7. Say goodbye
8. Go back to reception

event-driven-programs/

This is a pretty much cut and dry case of plagiarism. Do not do this otherwise you could get kicked out of university. I have reported students for cheating in this way in classes I have taught and they have either been given severe punishments and a plagiarism notation has been added to their official transcripts, or they have been expelled.
this is ****ing cheating you are such a knob

Quick Reply

Latest