The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it actually going ahead in 2020? I thought they couldn't open because there was no decision made and there's no goverment to make a decision lol.

Have they finalised the finances/amout of places etc.?
At least they seem to have dropped the tag of a school to train GPs when it's not lol.

You can apply to qub undergrad course as a graduate and just do the extra year, it's not much more expensive tbh and at least you get holidays.
I am curious to how they will improve the doctor shortage as there are currently about 243 foundation training spots in NI which is always filled every year, so if they add more students will they increase the training spots or will they remain same (as have done for a long time) and so new grads may still have to go to england/scotland etc. Lots of grads who go to med school in the rest of uk also return to NI for foundation so it's not just QUB students applying for it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ahorey
Is it actually going ahead in 2020? I thought they couldn't open because there was no decision made and there's no goverment to make a decision lol.

Have they finalised the finances/amout of places etc.?
At least they seem to have dropped the tag of a school to train GPs when it's not lol.

You can apply to qub undergrad course as a graduate and just do the extra year, it's not much more expensive tbh and at least you get holidays.
I am curious to how they will improve the doctor shortage as there are currently about 243 foundation training spots in NI which is always filled every year, so if they add more students will they increase the training spots or will they remain same (as have done for a long time) and so new grads may still have to go to england/scotland etc. Lots of grads who go to med school in the rest of uk also return to NI for foundation so it's not just QUB students applying for it.

Apparently if they can get a working assembly in Stormont this year and get the funding signed off, it will go ahead,

They are planning to open with 60 places and increase it annually until they hit 120,

I'm missing a few A Levels for QUB undergrad, but I've a first in my BSc Hons, so GEM at UUM is my best shot, as long as it isn't flooded with other students from south and mainland UK
Reply 3
I heard everything is in place to open for 2020. With any luck they will announce it soon. Bloody Stormont grrr!
Reply 4
Original post by JGB98
I heard everything is in place to open for 2020. With any luck they will announce it soon. Bloody Stormont grrr!

Is this from an official source? Would be great to have another option!
Very interested in how the Ulster GEM progresses, hopefully everything is in place for a 2020 start.
Reply 6
Hello I’m highly interested in doing GEM and I’m just trying to gather info- can I ask what course you did for your Bsc?

Original post by Gerryk
Apparently if they can get a working assembly in Stormont this year and get the funding signed off, it will go ahead,

They are planning to open with 60 places and increase it annually until they hit 120,

I'm missing a few A Levels for QUB undergrad, but I've a first in my BSc Hons, so GEM at UUM is my best shot, as long as it isn't flooded with other students from south and mainland UK
Original post by Gerryk
Hi Guys, In this thread I'd like to bring everyone together who is planning on applying to study Graduate Entry Medicine at the University of Ulster Magee Campus in September 2020, and also anyone based in Northern Ireland or close by who is planning to sit the GAMSAT in 2019.

I'm based in Northern Ireland currently studying a BSc and doing the GAMSAT in march 2020 for a hopeful 2021 entry to magee. I'm concerned as I will be 23 when starting and I feel like I don't want to go across the water to apply for GEM. I know limiting myself to one uni that may not potentially open is dangerous. Anyone else hoping on Magee to open soon?
Magee for GEM is literally the only uni I want to apply for, so I hope they open in the near future!
Original post by WorthlessPeon
Very interested in how the Ulster GEM progresses, hopefully everything is in place for a 2020 start.
Reply 9
You know you can also apply to queens for medicine? It’s only 5 years compared to 4 and 4k per year.

Just means doing the ukcat instead of gamsat.
Some of us can't apply to queen's if we don't have the right A levels unfortunately
Original post by ahorey
You know you can also apply to queens for medicine? It’s only 5 years compared to 4 and 4k per year.

Just means doing the ukcat instead of gamsat.
Reply 11
Original post by blockocheese
Some of us can't apply to queen's if we don't have the right A levels unfortunately

If a 2:1 Minimum of ABB on first sit to include chemistry and one from bio/physics/maths?

A 1st is BBB

I just wouldn’t be putting all my eggs in one basket if you are really keen on medicine as have Magee even comfirmed they are running in September?
I don't even have that at A level as I only did okay in science A levels and didn't get BBB. So I'm kind of stuck. Magee is what I'm hoping for and I'm not keen on moving across the water as I'll be 23.
Original post by ahorey
If a 2:1 Minimum of ABB on first sit to include chemistry and one from bio/physics/maths?

A 1st is BBB

I just wouldn’t be putting all my eggs in one basket if you are really keen on medicine as have Magee even comfirmed they are running in September?
Reply 13
I've a 1st in BSc Hons in Multimedia, Computing & Design, so its not even close to being bio med or science related,

I doubt they will open in 2020 as they still haven't added Magee campus as an ACER test centre for the GAMSAT, which was supped to happen earlier in the year,
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
I was supposed to sit in Sept but hopefully I can get some good prep in for March, fingers crossed they can get it open by then...!
Original post by blockocheese
I'm sitting in March 2020 too! Hoping for a 2021 entry into Magee if it opens :/
Yeah I deferred to march sitting from September 2019 as I didn't feel ready for it and I really am hoping for Magee as I really don't want to go across the water

Original post by Gerryk
I was supposed to sit in Sept but hopefully I can get some good prep in for March, fingers crossed they can get it open by then...!
Hi I’m wondering, if the GEM school was to go ahead and open in 2020 would you think there would be a potential chance of them accepting March 2020 GAMSAT results with a conditional offer or so for eg, or does it defo have to be sat in 2019 for 2020 entry (I know the GAMSAT official site states that).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Nicki7654
Hi I’m wondering, if the GEM school was to go ahead and open in 2020 would you think there would be a potential chance of them accepting March 2020 GAMSAT results with a conditional offer or so for eg, or does it defo have to be sat in 2019 for 2020 entry (I know the GAMSAT official site states that).

I don't think they would accept march 2020 results as the next gamsat sitting September 2019 is the last one they would accept for 2020 entry. Your earliest entry would be 2021
Thanks- I had thought that!
Just with so much uncertainty around the opening of the school, I thought maybe there would perhaps be some give way, as you can’t even sit GAMSAT in NI yet! Can’t see that being an option as it doesn’t comply with GAMSAT itself, just a waiting game I suppose to see official opening. I’m not sitting it until March anyways, what’s another year!
Original post by Nicki7654
Thanks- I had thought that!
Just with so much uncertainty around the opening of the school, I thought maybe there would perhaps be some give way, as you can’t even sit GAMSAT in NI yet! Can’t see that being an option as it doesn’t comply with GAMSAT itself, just a waiting game I suppose to see official opening. I’m not sitting it until March anyways, what’s another year!

I deferred my sitting of the GAMSAT to march 2020 hoping for 2021 entry because I just wasn't ready this September!

Latest