How do you self-teach A-Level Further Maths

Watch
King Emojai
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Under the new specification, I can't find anywhere what maths books to buy so that I can study for further maths. A-Level mathematics is a lot simpler only needing Year 1 core maths and year 1 statistic and mechanics maths for AS, and year 2 core maths and year 2 statistics and mechanics for A-Level, but I can't find any pattern like that with A-Level further mathematics. Also, do you have to study those same books for normal mathematics to pass A-Level further mathematics? Or does it have a completely different set of units?

Edit: I'm talking about Edexcel Maths.
Last edited by King Emojai; 1 year ago
Pangol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by King Emojai)
Under the new specification, I can't find anywhere what maths books to buy so that I can study for further maths. A-Level mathematics is a lot simpler only needing Year 1 core maths and year 1 statistic and mechanics maths for AS, and year 2 core maths and year 2 statistics and mechanics for A-Level, but I can't find any pattern like that with A-Level further mathematics. Also, do you have to study those same books for normal mathematics to pass A-Level further mathematics? Or does it have a completely different set of units?
There are text books for all of the Further Maths content, but as there are all sorts of combinations of topics you can take for a Further Maths A Level, it's not as simple as the regular course. Which exam board are you using? Let us know and I'll give a bit more detail.
King Emojai
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
There are text books for all of the Further Maths content, but as there are all sorts of combinations of topics you can take for a Further Maths A Level, it's not as simple as the regular course. Which exam board are you using? Let us know and I'll give a bit more detail.
Hi, thank you for the reply. I am using Edexcel further mathematics
Pangol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by King Emojai)
Hi, thank you for the reply. I am using Edexcel further mathematics
There is a series of ten text books published by Pearson that can help you here. You will not need all of them! However, you will need these two:

Core Pure Mathematics 1
Core Pure Mathematics 2

After that, it depends where your interests lie. There are applied options - you can study more mechanics, more statistics, or decision maths, a topic which is not covered in the normal A Level. Or you can study even more pure maths (it is possible to take a Further Maths A Level which consists only of pure maths).

Further Statistics 1
Further Statistics 2
Further Mechanics 1
Further Mechanics 2
Decision Mathematics 1
Decision Mathematics 2
Further Pure Mathematics 1
Further Pure Mathematics 2

You need to work out your choices first. Have you looked through the specification to see how many units you need to do and which ones look interesting to you?
King Emojai
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
There is a series of ten text books published by Pearson that can help you here. You will not need all of them! However, you will need these two:

Core Pure Mathematics 1
Core Pure Mathematics 2

After that, it depends where your interests lie. There are applied options - you can study more mechanics, more statistics, or decision maths, a topic which is not covered in the normal A Level. Or you can study even more pure maths (it is possible to take a Further Maths A Level which consists only of pure maths).

Further Statistics 1
Further Statistics 2
Further Mechanics 1
Further Mechanics 2
Decision Mathematics 1
Decision Mathematics 2
Further Pure Mathematics 1
Further Pure Mathematics 2

You need to work out your choices first. Have you looked through the specification to see how many units you need to do and which ones look interesting to you?
Thank you! This really helped me understand how the further mathematics exams work
After reading your reply, I checked the specification one more time and I found the section which explains how many units I have to do and which options I have to study
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (283)
15.25%
Uncertainty around my education (291)
15.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (184)
9.91%
Isolating with family (131)
7.06%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (86)
4.63%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (154)
8.3%
Loneliness (185)
9.97%
Financial worries (77)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (171)
9.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.11%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (162)
8.73%

Watched Threads