fgcse2018
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How do you do this question? I got 40kg for M but not sure as it seems way too simple for a 10 marker. Name:  099D7ADE-4252-4AAA-B692-729B57F93C7F.jpg.jpeg
Views: 368
Size:  18.4 KB

IGNORE EVERYTHING I WROTE ON THE SHEET
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fgcse2018)
How do you do this question? I got 40kg for M but not sure as it seems way too simple for a 10 marker. Name:  099D7ADE-4252-4AAA-B692-729B57F93C7F.jpg.jpeg
Views: 368
Size:  18.4 KB

IGNORE EVERYTHING I WROTE ON THE SHEET
This came up fairly recently. One thing to notice is that with that arrangement, its actually impossible to be in equilibrium as both masses cause an anticlockwise moment on the smaller wheel. One of the masses must be on the other side of the relevant wheel for the moments to cancel.
Can you put your working down, I don't think 40kg is right.
fgcse2018
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
This came up fairly recently. One thing to notice is that with that arrangement, its actually impossible to be in equilibrium as both masses cause an anticlockwise moment on the smaller wheel. One of the masses must be on the other side of the relevant wheel for the moments to cancel.
Can you put your working down, I don't think 40kg is right.
I just did 10g x 0.08= Mg x 0.02 - but clearly this is wrong im just stuck as to what to do. Thanks
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I just did 10g x 0.08= Mg x 0.02 - but clearly this is wrong im just stuck as to what to do. Thanks
Where do the gears come into it?
fgcse2018
Rep:
Where do the gears come into it?
No where, i didnt even consider them which was why i was sure i was probably wrong
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It's not 40; it's half of that.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
No where, i didnt even consider them which was why i was sure i was probably wrong
So what do you understand about gears? Think about cycling, they change the speed and the torque. Have you covered this?
fgcse2018
Rep:
So what do you understand about gears? Think about cycling, they change the speed and the torque. Have you covered this?
No i have not, i mean i know that torque is just the turning effect on something but thats about it, this is on stats year 2 moments edexcel unit test
fgcse2018
Rep:
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
It's not 40; it's half of that.
How?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
No i have not, i mean i know that torque is just the turning effect on something but thats about it, this is on stats year 2 moments edexcel unit test
I'd do a bit reading about it. But for this question, think about how the force gets transferred from one wheel to the other.
In equilibrium, the forces(s) at the gear teeth must cause an equal and opposite moment to the mass on each wheel. What would be the force that the smaller wheel's teeth must exert on the larger wheel's teeth for the larger wheel to remain in equilibrium?
Then do the opposite, that force must generate an equal and opposite moment on the smaller wheel to the moment generated by mass M.
This is why its 10 marks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49DxlXs8tyk
isn't bad, but there are others

Edit: the answer given above is right, its because the gear ratio is 1:2 (or 5:10), but its important that you understand why it happens?
Last edited by mqb2766; 2 years ago
fgcse2018
Rep:
I'd do a bit reading about it. But for this question, think about how the force gets transferred from one wheel to the other.
In equilibrium, the forces(s) at the gear teeth must cause an equal and opposite moment to the mass on each wheel. What would be the force that the smaller wheel's teeth must exert on the larger wheel's teeth for the larger wheel to remain in equilibrium?
Then do the opposite, that force must generate an equal and opposite moment on the smaller wheel to the moment generated by mass M.

Edit: the answer given above is right, its because the gear ratio is 1:2 (or 5:10), but its important that you understand why it happens?
Ahhh i see, thanks for the video and help, im sort of seeing it now but just need to work on it for a bit longer!
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Ahhh i see, thanks for the video and help, im sort of seeing it now but just need to work on it for a bit longer!
Sure, just post your working if you need any more help.
fgcse2018
Rep:

(Name:  BB9D09B0-F08C-46C2-B7CF-ECB9A47D9F53.jpg.jpeg
Views: 412
Size:  25.1 KB (RED PEN) so is this it? Or is the method wrong
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Name:  BB9D09B0-F08C-46C2-B7CF-ECB9A47D9F53.jpg.jpeg
Views: 412
Size:  25.1 KB (RED PEN) so is this it? Or is the method wrong
Looks about right. I'd probably be a bit more explicit about the forces that the gears are exerting on each other. On the larger wheel we must have
F*0.1 = 10*g*0.08
where F is the linear force exerted by the smaller gear's teeth on the larger wheel. So
F = 8g
In equilibrium, this is also the force (equal and opposite) exerted by the larger gear's teeth on the smaller wheel, so again in equilibrium
F*0.05 = M*g*0.02
so
40g = 2Mg
so M = 20. Again, I'll note that actually the masses are in the wrong position to get equilibrium, they'd both cause an anticlockwise motion of the smaller wheel.

The shortcut is the gear ratio as you mention, but I suspect that you'd need something like the above to get full marks for working.
fgcse2018
Rep:
Looks about right. I'd probably be a bit more explicit about the forces that the gears are exerting on each other. On the larger wheel we must have
F*0.1 = 10*g*0.08
where F is the linear force exerted by the smaller gear's teeth on the larger wheel. So
F = 8g
In equilibrium, this is also the force (equal and opposite) exerted by the larger gear's teeth on the smaller wheel, so again in equilibrium
F*0.05 = M*g*0.02
so
40g = 2Mg
so M = 20. Again, I'll note that actually the masses are in the wrong position to get equilibrium, they'd both cause an anticlockwise motion of the smaller wheel.

The shortcut is the gear ratio as you mention, but I suspect that you'd need something like the above to get full marks for working.
I see, thats very helpful actually, thanks alot once agin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.69%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.88%
No (55)
26.44%
I'm not sure (27)
12.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed