If I leave university do I have to pay my maintenance loan back straight away? Watch

obrown212
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Due to circumstances with my course and my mental health, I have come to the decision to leave university. I receive both a tuition fee and maintenance loan, but I’ve heard that as soon as inform SFE about my plans to leave, I will have to pay back all of the maintenance loan that I have received back straight away instead in the usual way that you would if you complete your course. If this is true, I am absolutely terrified, as neither I nor my family can afford to pay back thousands of pounds immediately. Please can someone clear this up for me?
Lynsey SFE
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by obrown212)
Due to circumstances with my course and my mental health, I have come to the decision to leave university. I receive both a tuition fee and maintenance loan, but I’ve heard that as soon as inform SFE about my plans to leave, I will have to pay back all of the maintenance loan that I have received back straight away instead in the usual way that you would if you complete your course. If this is true, I am absolutely terrified, as neither I nor my family can afford to pay back thousands of pounds immediately. Please can someone clear this up for me?
Hello,

We will require an Electronic Change of Circumstances (COC) from your university to confirm you have suspended/withdrew, within the COC they will confirm how much Tuition Fee is required. Once the COC is processed, all future payments will be cancelled and your entitlement will be re-calculated which may result in a Maintenance Loan overpayment.

If a loan overpayment occurs, we will pursue recovery and you will be contacted by collections to arrange payment. Any loan you are eligible to will be applied to your balance.

Are you looking to suspend and return later or withdraw?

Thanks, Lynsey.
obrown212
Rep:
?
Hi,

I am looking to completely withdraw from this course.

Thanks,

Liv
SFE Erin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,

I am looking to completely withdraw from this course.

Thanks,

Liv
Hi Liv,

If you wish to suspend from your course, we will require an electronic Change of Circumstance from your university to confirm your date of last attendance. Once received and processed we will pro-rata your funding to your date of last attendance. If an overpayment is identified you will be contacted by our Collections Department.

Thanks,
Erin K
obrown212
Rep:
?
Hi Erin,

I was paid my student loan whilst I was on holiday with my course, would that count as course attendance?

Thanks,

Liv
SFE Nihad
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi Erin,

I was paid my student loan whilst I was on holiday with my course, would that count as course attendance?

Thanks,

Liv
Hi Liv,

Your university set your last day of attendance and give us the date. We will recalculate your finance using the date provided.

Regards,
Nihad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19