The Student Room Group

How does UCAS extra work?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could explain how UCAS extra works. Thank you :smile:
Firstly have to be holding no offers so would have to reject all the offers if any you have received. You then apply to universities who are participating in extra one university at a time. If you reject their offer or get rejected you can then apply to another one until you are accepted by and accept a choice.
Original post by sk2111
Hi, I was wondering if someone could explain how UCAS extra works. Thank you :smile:

To participate in extra you must either have been rejected or withdrawn from all your choices. You can then apply to one course at one university at a time and they will make a decision on your application. If you get an offer you must choose whether to accept it (eg. It will become your firm choice) or withdraw and try another uni. You cannot come back to a uni once you have withdrawn from it. If you are rejected you can keep trying until you get one you're happy with :smile:
Let me know if anything else is unclear to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Lemur14
To participate in extra you must either have been rejected or withdrawn from all your choices. You can then apply to one course at one university at a time and they will make a decision on your application. If you get an offer you must choose whether to accept it (eg. It will become your firm choice) or withdraw and try another uni. You cannot come back to a uni once you have withdrawn from it. If you are rejected you can keep trying until you get one you're happy with :smile:
Let me know if anything else is unclear to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your help, I have another question, if you apply from UCAS extra you don't get an insurance choice
Original post by sk2111
Thank you for your help, I have another question, if you apply from UCAS extra you don't get an insurance choice

Yep that's right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sk2111

You don't get an insurance choice because you can only apply to one Uni at a time.

But if that Uni end up rejecting you, you can make another choice, and then another one if it comes to it. But the idea is that before you even put the first Uni down on the form, you have already checked that they have vacancies in your subject and will take people with your predicted A level grades. So theoretically, a person shouldn't find that they keep getting rejections.
Original post by harrysbar
You don't get an insurance choice because you can only apply to one Uni at a time.

But if that Uni end up rejecting you, you can make another choice, and then another one if it comes to it. But the idea is that before you even put the first Uni down on the form, you have already checked that they have vacancies in your subject and will take people with your predicted A level grades. So theoretically, a person shouldn't find that they keep getting rejections.

There is a problem in that unis have to opt out of Extra, which supposedly many forget to do and thus students might have a false idea as to vacancies. The wider point is that "competitive courses" -- which may seem unlikely given the uni is in Extra -- can remain difficult to get on, e.g. in of the better law courses. And a lot of the dodgier courses don't really require what they state on their sites, so it oft does make sense to apply with less than predicted grades.

To OP, don't forget you have Extra and then Adjustment should you exceed your offer. There is some flexibility still.
Original post by Notoriety
There is a problem in that unis have to opt out of Extra, which supposedly many forget to do and thus students might have a false idea as to vacancies. The wider point is that "competitive courses" -- which may seem unlikely given the uni is in Extra -- can remain difficult to get on, e.g. in of the better law courses. And a lot of the dodgier courses don't really require what they state on their sites, so it oft does make sense to apply with less than predicted grades.

To OP, don't forget you have Extra and then Adjustment should you exceed your offer. There is some flexibility still.

True, it is a bit of a minefield ... as you can only apply to one Uni at a time I would always email the Uni first to state your A level predictions and check that they really do have vacancies, but as @Notoriety says the competitive courses will be looking at other things beyond the merely academic, such as your Personal Statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending