The Student Room Group

Using the same personal statement for two different uni

Hi there, I'm wondering if I need to write a new personal statement for each universities I'm applying to. Or can I simply just edit a bit for the 2nd one?
Reply 1
Edit: Not through UCAS.
When I had this same query before i applied last year, my college tutor told me uni’s are aware students will be applying for various unis and so they pretty much expect your personal statement to not be tailored specifically to them. For example, instead of the sentence ‘that is why i want to study at Nottingham university’ you change Nottingham to your. They won’t hold this against you. The only time it would be necessary to edit separate personal statements is if you are applying to two very different courses. Otherwise you’ll be fine with just the one.

I know your not applying through UCAS, but if you were then you only get one Personal Statement for 5 unis. So the one should be fine, but if you want to edit it slightly it’s up to you. But to answer the question, no it’s not necessary/required :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Sam2471
Hi there, I'm wondering if I need to write a new personal statement for each universities I'm applying to. Or can I simply just edit a bit for the 2nd one?

You have one personal statement on UCAS. It stays the same for all 5 of your choices.

Original post by Sam2471
Edit: Not through UCAS.

How are you applying then?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Phew! I am applying for the postgraduate at two different uni in London. Thank you so much for your quick reply! I will edit a bit for my second application. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
You have one personal statement on UCAS. It stays the same for all 5 of your choices.

How are you applying then?

I’m applying for postgraduate degrees and the universities I am applying for are not through UCAS.
Reply 6
Original post by Sam2471
I’m applying for postgraduate degrees and the universities I am applying for are not through UCAS.

Ah that's quite different then. Edit whatever you like, assuming you are applying to each one direct.
(edited 5 years ago)
No worries and good luck with your applications aswell :smile:

Quick Reply