How to improve N5 prelim results?? Watch

Micklett
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I just had my prelims and want to know how to improve some of my scores. Here’s my results :
Maths 82%
Biology 78%
Chemistry 82%
Physics 72%
English 73%

I want to get A1 but I keep getting A2. Is there any difference between the bands of an A??
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, there isn't really.
Just pride really. Cambridge ask about them on their SAQ when you apply, and sometimes stipulate an A1 as a requirement in their entrance requirements at AH, but for literally anywhere else it doesn't matter
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Micklett)
So I just had my prelims and want to know how to improve some of my scores. Here’s my results :
Maths 82%
Biology 78%
Chemistry 82%
Physics 72%
English 73%

I want to get A1 but I keep getting A2. Is there any difference between the bands of an A??
There isn't any difference other than Cambridge sometimes specifying as Azure has said, and it otherwise makes no difference whatsoever- regardless of whether it's an A1 or an A2, it will show up as an A on your certificate.

In terms of improving, it mostly comes down to practice between now and the exam. From your prelims, you clearly know your stuff, so make sure that you do as well as you can in your folio/assignments. Get your prelims back and write down the areas where you lost marks so that you can make sure you don't make the same mistakes twice, and know the topics/types of questions that you need to work on.
scottishst25
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It doesn’t really matter if you get an A1 or A2 as it doesn’t even say which one it is on your certificate and universities don’t get to find out either (apart from Cambridge). You’ve got straight A’s (which you literally can’t improve on) - those are amazing prelim results! If you’re really that bothered about specific percentages, students generally improve on their prelim results in the final exam so you’ll likely get even higher in the real thing. Well done!
Micklett
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks 😉
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I will attempt to suggest how grade improvement can ve acquired.

First:- You need to find out the composition of that mark. That will tell you what you are weak in. Most likely it is Close reading. But - and this is important - exactly how weak are you there - if indeed you are weak there. Then if it is an impossible skill to improve and can you live with that mark and make up elsewhere. This is not a stupid comment. Your mark is not that far off a top A.

Second:- If you can live with your Close Reading grade what did you gain elsewhere aand is it possible to improve those areas to mitigate against Close reading.

Third:- The Sqa made the following comment about grade boundaries. "The members of each awarding meeting are responsible for setting the minimum mark which candidates have to achieve to gain a grade C in that subject and also the minimum marks needed to gain a grade A, and upper A. The grade boundaries needed to gain a grade Band a grade D are automatically calculated following these decisions.” Hence depending of the marks achieved by all Scottish students in the 2019 exam the SQA will determine what constitues a C grade as well as what constitues an Upper and Lower A grade. In 2018 and Upper A was 84 and a lower A was a 69. Although the 2019 boundaries may be different they are unlikely to be too different.

So what can you do?
First you must find out the breakdown on your total grade.
Second can your weakest skill be improved - if only by a few marks.
Third where is there improvement to make on the other areas of you grade and can improvement there fill the gap.

In 2018 you were eleven marks off a Top A. Only you can answer this - but is there a means to improve by 11 marks?

Good luck.
Kwube123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Micklett)
Maths 82%
Biology 78%
Chemistry 82%
Physics 72%
English 73%

Not rlly any difference but these are some excellent results most uni’s don’t really care about Aband 1s and A band 2s
Cupcake15
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Don't Worry Micklett! Your scores are great just keep trying your best and doing what you doing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (81)
59.56%
No (55)
40.44%

Watched Threads