Car heater problems Watch

Aconfusedkid
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My car heater has stopped working, after a cold morning around -3, the engine turned on fine and everything was normal except the heater. No heat would come out and the fan didn’t work, does anyone know what the fault might be???? I’ve been to a garage but they said I need to go to a auto electrician, I’m looking for one but was hoping to find a quick fix or something as with the weather being cold it’s a pain having to drive in the cold. Any help would be a appreciated
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Aconfusedkid)
My car heater has stopped working, after a cold morning around -3, the engine turned on fine and everything was normal except the heater. No heat would come out and the fan didn’t work, does anyone know what the fault might be???? I’ve been to a garage but they said I need to go to a auto electrician, I’m looking for one but was hoping to find a quick fix or something as with the weather being cold it’s a pain having to drive in the cold. Any help would be a appreciated
Go to the mechanic because you won't have the car parts to resolve this issue. Meanwhile, wear gloves and coat when driving.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
might be a busted switch controlling the fan
or a busted fan motor
or a blown fuse
or a loose connector
Aconfusedkid
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Moved to Cars and motoring.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Did you try all the fan settings? Type of car would help too.
Aconfusedkid
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks, I tried this but it didn’t work, I took it too multiple mechanics to get the best price, cheapest was £162. My resistor melted and damaged the wiring all in the car, So had to get that sorted too!!!
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks, I tried this but it didn’t work, I took it too multiple mechanics to get the best price, cheapest was £162. My resistor melted and damaged the wiring all in the car, So had to get that sorted too!!!
Sounds like you were ripped off.
Aconfusedkid
Rep:
?
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Sounds like you were ripped off.
I wasn’t ripped off ( I’m very tight and a bargain hunter) I made sure that I got the best price, I got 5 other quotes ranging from £180-£270
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wasn’t ripped off ( I’m very tight and a bargain hunter) I made sure that I got the best price, I got 5 other quotes ranging from £180-£270
What car do you have, what model, what exactly was broken?
The failure you described does not even sound possible because:

-a resistor wouldn't melt if there wasn't another problem
-even if it melted it probably wouldn't cause any further damage. Ventilation system works on normal 12V voltage, that is unlikely to damage anything whatever happens. Moreover in most cars it's a very simple system that is unlikely to be damaged even by a short circuit.
-even if there was something wrong with voltage or current, the fuses would have gone first, preserving the rest of the system
-extensive electrical failures are unlikely even in very old cars, and they hardly ever have anything to do with ventillation fan.

I guess garages told you high prices in case that something expensive, like integrated panel with LCD display went off, and the cheapest one told you some rubbish story after trivial repair to convince you it had to be so expensive.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 2 weeks ago
Aconfusedkid
Rep:
?

-even if it melted it probably wouldn't cause any further damage. Ventilation system works on normal 12V voltage, that is unlikely to damage anything whatever happens. Moreover in most cars it's a very simple system that is unlikely to be damaged even by a short circuit.
-even if there was something wrong with voltage or current, the fuses would have gone first, preserving the rest of the system
-extensive electrical failures are unlikely even in very old cars, and they hardly ever have anything to do with ventillation fan.

I guess garages told you high prices in case that something expensive, like integrated panel with LCD display went off, and the cheapest one told you some rubbish story after trivial repair to convince you it had to be so expensive.
Fiat Punto Evo, maybe I was scammed? I don’t really know it’s my first car, just went for the best price
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

It's not that uncommon for the resistor elements in the fan speed controller to fail (hence my question on whether the fan worked at any speed). It happened on my Mustang. Whether £162 is a reasonable price to pay for it to be replaced would depend on how much work is involved in getting access to it, but it doesn't seem particularly outlandish.
Last edited by CurlyBen; 2 weeks ago
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Fan motor burned out... been after a replacement for mine for years.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Fiat Punto Evo, maybe I was scammed? I don’t really know it’s my first car, just went for the best price
A garage can't be sure what is broken untill they dismantle the suspected elements. Asking for price is a gamble, as they have to gamble to give any specific price. Personally I believe its better to be loyal to a garage that gives reasonable prices, gets the job done, and has a good opinion from numerous customers, particularly from petrolhead-forums who know better about mechanics than average users.

If they charged over 4x minimal wage for each working hours, worked on the car for 3 hours (a bit long, but possible as it may be difficult to dismantle the console without damaging it, and the job sometimes involves doing extra reading as obviously they can't remember everything for all cars) and then replaced something that costs 60 pounds (sounds like a price of a full brand new vent controller), then that would make sense.
I just don't buy the story about a resistor that damaged wiring in all the car, it's just not really possible, and if all the wiring was damaged it would have been a terrible mess to repair. Perhaps they did a fair job but gave a rubbish explanation, or it was something trivial and made up an explanation to charge the higher price they promised.

Does your car have air condition? Because if it has, and the controller was broken, then that would justify the price much better. It would either mean that a skilled electronics technician worked on the pannel, or they bough a working second-hand controller to decrease the costs to this reasonable level.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 2 weeks ago
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
It's not that uncommon for the resistor elements in the fan speed controller to fail (hence my question on whether the fan worked at any speed). It happened on my Mustang.
This means a terrrible quality of said elements. But since Mustang was always sold for bargain price, that doesn't surprise me.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A garage can't be sure what is broken untill they dismantle the suspected elements. Asking for price is a gamble, as they have to gamble to give any specific price. Personally I believe its better to be loyal to a garage that gives reasonable prices, gets the job done, and has a good opinion from numerous customers, particularly from petrolhead-forums who know better about mechanics than average users.

If they charged over 4x minimal wage for each working hours, worked on the car for 3 hours (a bit long, but possible as it may be difficult to dismantle the console without damaging it, and the job sometimes involves doing extra reading as obviously they can't remember everything for all cars) and then replaced something that costs 60 pounds (sounds like a price of a full brand new vent controller), then that would make sense.
I just don't buy the story about a resistor that damaged wiring in all the car, it's just not really possible, and if all the wiring was damaged it would have been a terrible mess to repair. Perhaps they did a fair job but gave a rubbish explanation, or it was something trivial and made up an explanation to charge the higher price they promised.

Does your car have air condition? Because if it has, and the controller was broken, then that would justify the price much better. It would either mean that a skilled electronics technician worked on the pannel, or they bough a working second-hand controller to decrease the costs to this reasonable level.
Labour rates are closer to £70 an hour than £30 (which is what your 4x minimum wage works out at) and often won't be billed in less than 15 or 30 minute increments. The government take a 20% cut. Could be that the failed resistor damaged the plug on the wiring harness. Kinda hard to say without knowing exactly what was changed, but it doesn't seem outrageous for a failed resistor module.
This means a terrrible quality of said elements. But since Mustang was always sold for bargain price, that doesn't surprise me.
It lasted 15 years, I wouldn't say that's indicative of terrible quality. The Mustang is far from the best built car I've come across but I wouldn't hold a failed blower resistor as evidence of that.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Labour rates are closer to £70 an hour than £30 (which is what your 4x minimum wage works out at) and often won't be billed in less than 15 or 30 minute increments. The government take a 20% cut.
I forgot to add tax. Together with labour rates it all starts to make sense now, only the explanation was not precise.

It lasted 15 years, I wouldn't say that's indicative of terrible quality. The Mustang is far from the best built car I've come across but I wouldn't hold a failed blower resistor as evidence of that.
Sure not, it just surprises me, for I've never heard of such malfunction before on car forums, my car is 21 years old, and for some time I owned a 29 years old car in which it worked.
I don't get through that through those many years they didn't switch from Panhard to Watt's rod, if they really wanted to keep live axle. But perhaps more Mustangs crashing into everything was exactly the point. They could sell more cars and spares to replace the destroyed ones.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I forgot to add tax. Together with labour rates it all starts to make sense now, only the explanation was not precise.

Sure not, it just surprises me, for I've never heard of such malfunction before on car forums, my car is 21 years old, and for some time I owned a 29 years old car in which it worked.
I don't get through that through those many years they didn't switch from Panhard to Watt's rod, if they really wanted to keep live axle. But perhaps more Mustangs crashing into everything was exactly the point. They could sell more cars and spares to replace the destroyed ones.
Google "failed blower motor resistor" and you get over 1.5 million results, it's not exactly a rare occurence. Not all vehicles use a resistor setup either, the more modern (and efficient) option is to use pulse width modulation but that requires electronic control.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Google "failed blower motor resistor" and you get over 1.5 million results, it's not exactly a rare occurence. Not all vehicles use a resistor setup either, the more modern (and efficient) option is to use pulse width modulation but that requires electronic control.
It is a rare occurence since 'pasta is attacking me' gives 12.3 million results.

https://www.google.com/search?client...21.gICfX42bce4
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is a rare occurence since 'pasta is attacking me' gives 12.3 million results.

https://www.google.com/search?client...21.gICfX42bce4
It's difficult to express just how damn stupid that comment is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (81)
14.16%
Yes - a food allergy (60)
10.49%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.62%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.62%
No (401)
70.1%

Watched Threads