The Student Room Group

OCR Biology New A-level H420 Paper 1,2,3 (2019) Predictions + Exam Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Outline the roles of the cytoskeleton?
Define the term facilitated diffusion?
Explain the different ways of forming genetic variation in cell division?
How is a protein formed within a cell?
Describe the differences and functions between the components of the bronchi, bronchioles, alveoli, capillary, arteries and veins?
Explain the role of the ''counter-current'' in fish and in the loop of Henle of the kidneys?
can anyone explain the events that occur during an action potential pls? I've confusing myself cause I keep looking at other resources and they're saying different things...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by livicunningham13
does anyone have the link for the practice papers set one and two. These are protected on the OCR website not the ones you can access. Thanks

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1ATeygzkeCeDDbs9UEeusQMhkSKMki9cv

I believe this has some of the papers you’re after but not all. Have a look.
How depolarisation happens? Or after depolarisation?
Original post by lollypenguin
can anyone explain the events that occur during an action potential pls? I've confusing myself cause I keep looking at other resources and they're saying different things...
Original post by lionike123
How depolarisation happens? Or after depolarisation?

Well this is what I'm learning but I feel like its wrong somewhere; is it ok?
also at what stage is the refractory period?
and I don't really get how a wave of depolarisation occurs either!
sorry to be a pain haha

1. Neurone has resting potential - some K+ channels open (mainly non VGC) but Na+ channels closed
2. Energy of stimulus causes some Na+ VGC to open so membrane is permeable to Na+ ions and so Na+ ions diffuse down EC gradient into axon making neurone less negative (depolarisation)
3. If the increase of Na+ in the axon meets the threshold potenital, more Na+ VGC will open
4. When potential difference reaches +40mV, Na+ VGC start to close and VG K+ channels open; they diffuse down EC gradient out the neurone, making neurone more negative (repolarisation)
5. Initially, lots of K+ diffuse out making inside of axon more negative than resting state (hyperpolarisation)
6. K+ VGC start to close & the sodium potassium pump causes Na+ to be move out and K+ to move in, and causes axon to return to resting potential
(edited 4 years ago)
thank you very much

Original post by Xx_InZain_xX
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1ATeygzkeCeDDbs9UEeusQMhkSKMki9cv

I believe this has some of the papers you’re after but not all. Have a look.
Reply 586
1. Resting membrane potential of -70mv is maintained by Na+K+ pumps which actively transports 3 Na+ out of neurone & 2 K+ into neurone.
2. When a stimulus occurs, Na+ channels open allowing the Na+ ions to move into the neurone. If this caused the potential difference to reach threshold (-55mv) depolarisation occurs where an action potential is generated. VG na+ channels open and Na+ enter into the neurone by diffusion.
3. When the p.d reached +30mv VG Na+ channels close. VG K+ channels open and k+ ions diffuse out of the neurone during repolarisation
4. The membrane potential drops below threshold potential because the k+ channels are slow to close (hyperpolarisation)
5. The Na+K+ pump restores the potential difference back to resting membrane potential of -70mv.

refractory period - the time phase during hyperpolarisation when its not possible to stimulate another action potential.

i hope this is it.

1. Neurone has resting potential - some K+ channels open (mainly non VGC) but Na+ channels closed
2. Energy of stimulus causes some Na+ VGC to open so membrane is permeable to Na+ ions and so Na+ ions diffuse down EC gradient into axon making neurone less negative (depolarisation)
3. If the increase of Na+ in the axon meets the threshold potenital, more Na+ VGC will open
4. When potential difference reaches +40mV, Na+ VGC start to close and VG K+ channels open; they diffuse down EC gradient out the neurone, making neurone more negative (repolarisation)
5. Initially, lots of K+ diffuse out making inside of axon more negative than resting state (hyperpolarisation)
6. K+ VGC start to close & the sodium potassium pump causes Na+ to be move out and K+ to move in, and causes axon to return to resting potential
Thats right. Refractory period is just a short period of time when the axon cannot be depolarised again to ensure impulses are unidirectional. this happens after the hyperpolarisation phase i think.
and I don't really get how a wave of depolarisation occurs either!
sorry to be a pain haha

Just make sure
You mention how the resting potential is maintained
like the sodium potassium pump as well as -70mv as the resting potential
Why doesnt physics and maths tutor take the AS questions from 2018, 2017, Practice Papers and separate into topics. That would be so helpful.
Original post by hiran
1. Resting membrane potential of -70mv is maintained by Na+K+ pumps which actively transports 3 Na+ out of neurone & 2 K+ into neurone.
2. When a stimulus occurs, Na+ channels open allowing the Na+ ions to move into the neurone. If this caused the potential difference to reach threshold (-55mv) depolarisation occurs where an action potential is generated. VG na+ channels open and Na+ enter into the neurone by diffusion.
3. When the p.d reached +30mv VG Na+ channels close. VG K+ channels open and k+ ions diffuse out of the neurone during repolarisation
4. The membrane potential drops below threshold potential because the k+ channels are slow to close (hyperpolarisation)
5. The Na+K+ pump restores the potential difference back to resting membrane potential of -70mv.

refractory period - the time phase during hyperpolarisation when its not possible to stimulate another action potential.

i hope this is it.

Original post by thilly27
Just make sure
You mention how the resting potential is maintained
like the sodium potassium pump as well as -70mv as the resting potential

ahh thank you !! what occurs during a wave of depolarisation?
(edited 4 years ago)
Thats right. Refractory period is just a short period of time when the axon cannot be depolarised again to ensure impulses are unidirectional. this happens after the hyperpolarisation phase i think.

thanks !
Does anyone know how to separate topics from the AS papers for practice rather than doing the whole paper?
A lot harder than the 2017 and 2018 papers
Paper 1 spec Paper was so hard.
For evaluating questions in the new spec this is the best way to get full marks. An argument supporting the statement with evidence and describe the trend. An argument against statement with evidence and saying correlation does not mean causation. An argument about the validity of the experiment saying this was not controlled, an experiment was not repeated, no mean was taken, no statistical tests.
For evaluating questions in the new spec this is the best way to get full marks. An argument supporting the statement with evidence and describe the trend. An argument against statement with evidence and saying correlation does not mean causation. An argument about the validity of the experiment saying this was not controlled, an experiment was not repeated, no mean was taken, no statistical tests.

Wow, this is actually amazing. Now that you've said that, I recall the mark schemes on those questions looking exactly like that. There's always a mark for saying not enough repeats so we cannot say for sure haha.
ahh thank you !! what occurs during a wave of depolarisation?

Depolarisation - there’s is an influx of sodium ions as voltage gated ion channels open that’s all ik I haven’t revised that in detail yet tbh I love neurones and synapses 😂
Original post by Xx_InZain_xX
Wow, this is actually amazing. Now that you've said that, I recall the mark schemes on those questions looking exactly like that. There's always a mark for saying not enough repeats so we cannot say for sure haha.

Yeah and like the data is not representative , I saw this point twice in a mark scheme
when you say roles of cytoskeleton is it : intercellular movement, intracellular movement and for strength and support.
facilitated diffusion is a passive process that involves movement of molecules against a conc gradient

genetic variation : crossing over in meiosis 1, independent assortment of homologous chromosomes in
meiosis 1, random mutation and random fusion of gametes.

formation of protein, is it protein synthesis?

could you explain counter current in fish and loop of henle?

Outline the roles of the cytoskeleton?
Define the term facilitated diffusion?
Explain the different ways of forming genetic variation in cell division?
How is a protein formed within a cell?
Describe the differences and functions between the components of the bronchi, bronchioles, alveoli, capillary, arteries and veins?
Explain the role of the ''counter-current'' in fish and in the loop of Henle of the kidneys?
Original post by thilly27
Depolarisation - there’s is an influx of sodium ions as voltage gated ion channels open that’s all ik I haven’t revised that in detail yet tbh I love neurones and synapses 😂

you love it?? lool I wish I did
tbf it's not too had I just wasnt taught it very well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending