Scot Gov Graduate Development Programme Watch

J-Dash25
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

Applications opened yesterday for this years intake on the Scottish Governments Graduate Development Programme, so we thought it would be a great idea to open this forum to let you all ask any pressing questions you have as you go through each of the stages!

In terms of background about myself, My name is Jason (whose face you should all be sick of by now haha!), and I am currently about to enter my final second year posting, after being accepted on the programme at the start of September 2017. On the programme so far I have had range of different experiences in three different postings ranging from Broadband and Mobile Policy to Educational Attainment, and now I am currently in International Trade and Investment.

Here is a wee bit of information on the programme itself plucked from the website:

The Graduate Development Programme is an accelerated career path to leadership, with supported development and active career management. The programme sits at the heart of the Scottish Governments Talent Development Plan. We want to recruit and develop high calibre individuals, offering you the chance to realise your potential while taking on real responsibility and tackling some of the biggest issues facing Scotland today.

There will be further material on the website and on social media, but this forum will act as an avenue to ask current GDP members any questions you might have, as we will monitor this forum regularly.

I will try to reply as often to the questions here as I can, and hopefully get a few of the other cohort members in as well to answer any questions.

Cheers,

Jason
Student090597
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Jason,

I’m looking to apply and have started my application. Was just wondering for each of 5 points
• Understanding & developing self
• Early leadership
• Communicating & engaging
• Analysis & use of evidence
• Changing & improving

Are we to kind of tell this as a situation we have been in, and the steps we took to overcome these? Or is it more general skills you have shown?
Thanks!
J-Dash25
Rep:
?
Hi there,

I have just had a wee look at the initial application process, and I think it can be either of those approaches! The responses won't affect your application, and are more for you to have a think about these questions, as they will likely be themes that will come up later in the application process

Have a look at step five (and the rest of the guide for more specific info)
https://graduates.work-for-scotland....ication-guide/

Hope that helps

Cheers,

Jason
Last edited by J-Dash25; 1 month ago
KingoftheD
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi, thanks for starting this thread!

I was just looking through the guide and is this part correct:

Step 4: Employment History

Please select no for the first question. No further information is required.

So we don't need to declare any employment history?

Thanks!
blauteufel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Jason

What job band do you end up in at the end of the scheme? Are most of the roles in Edinburgh and Glasgow?

Rob
J-Dash25
Rep:
?
(Original post by KingoftheD)
hi, thanks for starting this thread!

I was just looking through the guide and is this part correct:

Step 4: Employment History

Please select no for the first question. No further information is required.

So we don't need to declare any employment history?

Thanks!
Hi,

This section is not formally assessed and will not impact on your application, but I think it would be good to still give a wee rundown of your employment history if you can

Cheers,

Jason
J-Dash25
Rep:
?
(Original post by blauteufel)
Hi Jason

What job band do you end up in at the end of the scheme? Are most of the roles in Edinburgh and Glasgow?

Rob
Hi Rob,

The intention is for programme members to come off the scheme at C band level. Most roles are based in Edinburgh, as thats where the majority of Government is based but i would say the postings are around a 70/30 split between the two locations.
samixa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Jason,

I submitted my application before coming across this helpful thread. Just wondering if I've approached the application form correctly as I followed the guide to the letter and didn't enter any information about my job history or how I meet the core competencies. Is it okay to leave out this information at this early stage?

Cheers,
Vhairi
Last edited by samixa; 1 month ago
J-Dash25
Rep:
?
Hi Vhairi,

That's completely fine! This stage of the application is not formally assessed so it won't impact on your application, it is more for info gathering for us and to give you a chance to have a practice at framing your experience within the context of the skills that the programme is looking for!!!

Cheers,

Jason
samixa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! That’s put my mind at rest.
Henrik12345
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Jason!Can you please tell me if people from outside UK (Europe) can also apply for the programme? I think I read from somewhere that it is rather rare that people from abroad are accepted. I plan to move to Edinburgh in September.Cheers,Henrik
zoe.clack
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Jason, I was wondering how complex/difficult you found the numerical tests? Just wondering how mathsy I will need to be.
ArnoldK
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So just to clarify this, I've filled out the application, as per the guide, and it said just to put an "X" in the competency question box and to not fill out the work experience part.

Is this correct? Feels like I'm missing a trick somewhere as all I've filled out is my personal details and degree and grade.
blauteufel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Henrik12345)
Hi Jason!Can you please tell me if people from outside UK (Europe) can also apply for the programme? I think I read from somewhere that it is rather rare that people from abroad are accepted. I plan to move to Edinburgh in September.Cheers,Henrik
I know EU nationals on other Graduate Schemes in the Civil Service so it should be fine I think.
Kiera_James
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Came here to ask the same question! Also if they require you to get.a certain percentage right.
Kiera_James
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zoe.clack)
Hi Jason, I was wondering how complex/difficult you found the numerical tests? Just wondering how mathsy I will need to be.
Came here to ask the same thing! also if they require you to get a certain percentage correct.
G-Mac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Everyone.

My name is Graham and like Jason I'm just about to start my last second year posting. I've worked in Further Education, Chief Nursing Officer's Directorate and I'm currently finsihing up in EU Exit Policy within the Budget and Sustainability Directorate.

I'll be helping Jason out and between us we can hopefully answer any questions you might have about the applciation process, assessment centre or working in the Scottish Government.

Thanks,

Graham
G-Mac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Henrik12345)
Hi Henrik,

As long as you have the right to work in the UK you can apply, your nationality will not influence your application.

Cheers,

Graham
G-Mac
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zoe.clack)
I can only speak to my own experience on this. I've always struggled with numbers and maths so I was quite worred about having to do a numerical test, I fully expected to be sifted out at that point. You don't need to have a degree in maths or statistics to pass, it's more to make sure you have a decent level of numeracy and could understand numerical information that was given to you (think spreadsheets and graphs).

I ran through some practice numerical reasoning tests and figured out which questions were giving me the most difficulty, then spent a bit of time practicing them. There's tons of online resources and books available on numerical and verbal reasoning tests, it's worth having a look through them, particularly if this is the first time you've ever encountered them.

Cheers,

Graham
J-Dash25
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ArnoldK)So just to clarify this, I've filled out the application, as per the guide, and it said just to put an "X" in the competency question box and to not fill out the work experience part.

Is this correct? Feels like I'm missing a trick somewhere as all I've filled out is my personal details and degree and grade.

Hi,

This section of the application is not formally assessed, so don't worry about putting an X in the box for this section, as you will have ample opportunity to detail this information as you progress through the application process.

Cheers,

Jason
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (139)
18.19%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.08%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (131)
17.15%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.27%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (232)
30.37%

Watched Threads