Scot Gov Graduate Development Programme Watch

Kiera_James
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by G-Mac)
I can only speak to my own experience on this. I've always struggled with numbers and maths so I was quite worred about having to do a numerical test, I fully expected to be sifted out at that point. You don't need to have a degree in maths or statistics to pass, it's more to make sure you have a decent level of numeracy and could understand numerical information that was given to you (think spreadsheets and graphs).
Thanks for this! I'm dyspraxic, so I also struggle with maths. Do you know what percentage of the questions they expect applicants to get right? also was the test timed, and if so how long was it/how many questions (if you remember!)
Last edited by Kiera_James; 4 months ago
ArnoldK
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Which test publisher do they use for the situational, numerical and verbal tests? i.e. SHL, Kenexa, CAPP etc.
G-Mac
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Kiera_James)
Thanks for this! I'm dyspraxic, so I also struggle with maths. Do you know what percentage of the questions they expect applicants to get right? also was the test timed, and if so how long was it/how many questions (if you remember!)
Unfortunately I don't know anything about the marking system they use for the tests or what the required score will be. I believe it was around 20 questions when I sat the test and it was timed, I'm failrly sure I didn't finish every question either.

It's possible that the tests will be run/marked differently than when Jason and I sat them though.

Cheers,

Graham
J-Dash25
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by ArnoldK)
Which test publisher do they use for the situational, numerical and verbal tests? i.e. SHL, Kenexa, CAPP etc.
Hi Arnold,

As Graham said we are really not privy to the specifics of the new tests themselves, so we honestly don't know what test publisher is being used this time around! We can only give our own general experience from our time around and our perspectives on how we would approach the tests! Hope this helps

Cheers,
Jason
ArnoldK
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by J-Dash25)
Hi Arnold,

As Graham said we are really not privy to the specifics of the new tests themselves, so we honestly don't know what test publisher is being used this time around! We can only give our own general experience from our time around and our perspectives on how we would approach the tests! Hope this helps

Cheers,
Jason
Okay, thanks for the reply.

I had a look at the application process and it says you have 7 days to complete the tests anyway, so plenty of time to check who the test provider is and focus any practice accordingly.
infp2019
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Do you guys know the likely dates for the assessment centres just wondering do to already booked holiday?
J-Dash25
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by infp2019)
Do you guys know the likely dates for the assessment centres just wondering do to already booked holiday?
Hi,

Our assessment centres in our year where held over the month of May (mine was on the 25th) with different times and days to choose from, so you should be fine to pick a date that falls outside your holiday, when the dates are released for the assessment centre!

Cheers,
Jason
BristolStudent96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Would it be a fair characterisation to say that this is essentially the Scottish Government's version of the Fast Stream?
G-Mac
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BristolStudent96)
Would it be a fair characterisation to say that this is essentially the Scottish Government's version of the Fast Stream?
Hi,

Yes, although the two schemes are run a little differently to each other (this is a 4 year programme, but I believe the fast stream is for 3). It's not uncommon for us to encounter fast streamers who are working in the Scottish Government during our placements.

Thanks,

Graham
BristolStudent96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by G-Mac)
Hi,

Yes, although the two schemes are run a little differently to each other (this is a 4 year programme, but I believe the fast stream is for 3). It's not uncommon for us to encounter fast streamers who are working in the Scottish Government during our placements.

Thanks,

Graham
Would it also be possible to transfer to Departments in Whitehall, later in one's career, after having completed this programme?
hayleyhutchy1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there! Just wondering if you have any general advice on how to prepare for the assessment centre and what was your experience of it? I know the assessment online still has to take place but just curious the now Many thanks,Hayley
G-Mac
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BristolStudent96)
Would it also be possible to transfer to Departments in Whitehall, later in one's career, after having completed this programme?
Hi,

If you wanted to move to a job in Whitehall after completing the programme you would need to apply for it and go through the recruitment process. This applies to jobs within the Scottish Government as well, if you wanted to move internally you would need to apply for a role.

Thanks,

Graham
stxq
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hey just wanted to check if those that signed up for the scottish govt graduate programme have received the link for the situational judgment tests? it should have been sent by today (6th march) but I have yet to receive anything apart from the confirmation email regarding the eligibility checks. thanks!
infp2019
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah. I received the test link. It was in my spam folder when I checked.
Rhiggibs20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
When will we get the results of the situational judgment tests?
ToastMonkey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Rhiggibs20)
When will we get the results of the situational judgment tests?
Depends what test provider they use. A lot of the UK Civil Service testing gives automatic feedback. In my experience, Scottish Gov is a lot slower. For the last big intake, they sent the next test (verbal/numerical) a few days after the situational deadline.
trickytricky
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I still haven’t got an email with the test. I sent a message the address they mentioned in the original email we got but I’m still waiting for them to reply!
G-Mac
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hayleyhutchy1)
Hi there! Just wondering if you have any general advice on how to prepare for the assessment centre and what was your experience of it? I know the assessment online still has to take place but just curious the now Many thanks,Hayley
Hi Hayley,

I found the assessment centre to be the most nerve wracking part of the recruitment process, especially since it was the first one I had ever done. I spent a lot of time working through my interview examples, making sure I could link them to what the Scottish Government were looking for (see the about you section on the website https://graduates.work-for-scotland.org/about-you/). I also practiced my presentation quite a bit - it's always worth either reading this out loud to yourself or to a friend/family member, sometimes what you've written down just doesn't sound right when you read it aloud.

It's worth remembering that the assessment centre is designed to test you, not to trick you. Everyone wants you to do well and present yourself in the best light possible.

There's a lot of information available in the candidate assessment guide that you can see here https://graduates.work-for-scotland....essment-guide/. There's some example questions there for the group exercise and briefing exercise, they should give you some idea of what to expect on the day.

Hope this helps.

Graham
ToastMonkey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by G-Mac)
Hi Hayley,

I found the assessment centre to be the most nerve wracking part of the recruitment process, especially since it was the first one I had ever done. I spent a lot of time working through my interview examples, making sure I could link them to what the Scottish Government were looking for (see the about you section on the website https://graduates.work-for-scotland.org/about-you/). I also practiced my presentation quite a bit - it's always worth either reading this out loud to yourself or to a friend/family member, sometimes what you've written down just doesn't sound right when you read it aloud.

It's worth remembering that the assessment centre is designed to test you, not to trick you. Everyone wants you to do well and present yourself in the best light possible.

There's a lot of information available in the candidate assessment guide that you can see here https://graduates.work-for-scotland....essment-guide/. There's some example questions there for the group exercise and briefing exercise, they should give you some idea of what to expect on the day.

Hope this helps.

Graham
Hey Graham

Are you currently on the graduate programme? If so, are there salary details published anywhere?

I only ask because PWC strung me along for a 3/4 month application process before fiiiiinally revealing the salary.
G-Mac
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ToastMonkey)
Hey Graham

Are you currently on the graduate programme? If so, are there salary details published anywhere?

I only ask because PWC strung me along for a 3/4 month application process before fiiiiinally revealing the salary.
Hi,

Yes, I joined the Scottish Government as part of the 2017 graduate programme. I don't have the exact figure for the starting salary but I believe it's around £28,000.

Graham
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (51)
22.27%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (78)
34.06%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (48)
20.96%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (20)
8.73%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
13.97%

Watched Threads

Latest