Broken alternator belt Watch

ItsLucy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hope some of you mechanic's out there might be able to help me out.. Okay so the other day I went to start my car up after having not drove it for a few weeks because of various reasons and it was struggling to start which was understandable so I was revving it up a fair bit to get it warmed up and it started making a loud squeeling noise then conked out and there was a hell of a lot of thick smoke coming from under the bonnet and it stunk. I discovered a rubber belt on the floor and went to pick it up and it was red hot, i popped to bonnet to take a look and found were the belt was from, I didn't know what it was so I had a friend have a look who knows a bit bout cars and said it was the alternator belt and that it's not hard or expensive to get fixed, however I'm worried that some further damage was caused during this act because the alternator belt snapping apparently shouldn't of caused that amount of smoke to come out the engine. I've asked around and have had no look. I'm going to buy a new belt and get it fitted and hope and pray that it fixes the problem but does anyone know what further problems could of been caused by this? What could have caused all the smoke? How serious could it be? Thanks
old_teach
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The 'auxilary drive belt' in most cars connects several things - it's usually driven off the bottom of the engine, goes round alternator, power steering, air con, maybe water pump (it varies from car to car). From what you've described, it sounds (to me) like something had seized, so wouldn't turn. That's why the belt got hot and eventually broke. You could try turning pulleys by hand to check they freely turn (you won't be able to turn the big one on the engine!).
Everything should be 'easy' to fit - but access is usually difficult unless you're very flexible!
Good luck.
ItsLucy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by old_teach)
The 'auxilary drive belt' in most cars connects several things - it's usually driven off the bottom of the engine, goes round alternator, power steering, air con, maybe water pump (it varies from car to car). From what you've described, it sounds (to me) like something had seized, so wouldn't turn. That's why the belt got hot and eventually broke. You could try turning pulleys by hand to check they freely turn (you won't be able to turn the big one on the engine!).
Everything should be 'easy' to fit - but access is usually difficult unless you're very flexible!
Good luck.
That's helpful thank you
Cleverboy1991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Shan't be anything serious. Basically fan belt and pulley related
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.5%
No (162)
40.5%

Watched Threads