The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Pros and Cons of Bristol University?

I'm not sure whether to put Bristol as my firm choice for Aerospace Engineering. Just want to see what other people think about the uni. What's it like to live there? Is there anything you really don't like? Any help would be appreciated tbh :smile:

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Bumping this thread because no one answered and am also interested in the pros and cons of the uni.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by cityofstars21
Bumping this thread because no one answered and am also interested in the pros and cons of the uni.

same here
I don't know if this would help, but

it's got a few hills, so the streets are quite steep. that's, if you don't like walking or anything.

for accommodation, I recommend not staying somewhere with a lot of plants and trees outside, otherwise you get some abnormal insects coming in at night scaring you half to death.

and Bristol's got some HUGE moths, so big you can hear them when they hit the lights and the walls.

there's also a tonne of graffiti, I think it's supposed to be a good thing though 🤷

but it's quite a pleasant city I guess.
Reply 4
Reload it!!!!!
Reload it!!!!!
Reload it!!!!!
Original post by Leviathan1611

it's got a few hills, so the streets are quite steep. that's, if you don't like walking or anything.

for accommodation, I recommend not staying somewhere with a lot of plants and trees outside, otherwise you get some abnormal insects coming in at night scaring you half to death.

and Bristol's got some HUGE moths, so big you can hear them when they hit the lights and the walls.

there's also a tonne of graffiti, I think it's supposed to be a good thing though 🤷

.................................huge moths and abnormal insects? I may not go to Bristol.
Original post by Leviathan1611

I also find it hilarious how you said all negatives, no positives but then ended with :it's a pleasant city🤷"
.................................huge moths and abnormal insects? I may not go to Bristol.

I say abnormal because I have never seen them in my life.
I also find it hilarious how you said all negatives, no positives but then ended with :it's a pleasant city🤷"

it's because the city had ice cream trucks near the park and I liked the nature (plants and stuff). I basically liked the scenery I guess 🤷
Original post by _loz_
I'm not sure whether to put Bristol as my firm choice for Aerospace Engineering. Just want to see what other people think about the uni. What's it like to live there? Is there anything you really don't like? Any help would be appreciated tbh :smile:

Thanks

Where else have you applied? Personally I don't like the city or the campus and there are better unis.
Reply 10
Reload it!!!
Knowing the other universities you've applied to would help in providing you with a better comparison.

You'd be hard pressed to find other unis for aerospace engineering that are as well established as Bristol.
Their industry links and aero department are some of the best you'll find.

The city itself is very heavily invested in engineering/science & enterprise and a lot of aerospace companies have hubs/bases in Bristol - they recruit directly from the uni so graduate prospects are very strong.

I'm currently an Aero student and if I had the ability to get the grades they needed then they definitely would have been a uni I would have strongly considered going to.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
University of Bristol is an excellent university by all means. The city is wonderful and has got such a positive vibe to it.
To that end, I'm planning to start an Aerospace BEng in September 2019. I hear they've got an excellent reputation when it comes to aerospace.

I can't *really say what the pros and cons are since I am not a student at the university yet.

However, the university is known to be very selective. In turn, the majority if not all the students will be very clever.*

I would recommend you to make Bristol your firm choice unless you were accepted into either imperial college london or Oxbridge.
Original post by Hani41
University of Bristol is an excellent university by all means. The city is wonderful and has got such a positive vibe to it.
To that end, I'm planning to start an Aerospace BEng in September 2019. I hear they've got an excellent reputation when it comes to aerospace.

I can't *really say what the pros and cons are since I am not a student at the university yet.

However, the university is known to be very selective. In turn, the majority if not all the students will be very clever.*

I would recommend you to make Bristol your firm choice unless you were accepted into either imperial college london or Oxbridge.

Is Bristol really selective? I can't help but doubt that since I got an offer.
aight so boom, the hills are mad innit, walking at 51 degree incline to uni for 15mins straight innit boom, bare rahs are plenty, all the girls wear flares innit , aight boom mad art on the buildings innit, bare tourists taking pictures of art on buildings. The layout of the campus, especially Wills memorial is quite bad, so Wednesday afternoons when everyone finishes lecture at roughly the same time, it gets quite packed when walking around campus. Its kinda expensive and the rate of homelessness here is stupid high, weird people in city centre depending on your background(race) you might get stares here and there, especially from internationals. All in all pretty decent experince, some people I've met are pretty chill and we get along. Also prepare yourself for the great wall of china in your aerospace lectures hehehe aight so boom
Reply 15
Thank you for all the responses guys, really helpful 😊
So as a 3rd year student at the uni, I think one of the biggest cons of being at Bristol is definitely the price of living. It's not as spenny as London, but deffo more spenny compared to other places; but that goes without saying since it's a big city haha. But, I know a lot of people who have managed to live here even when they know that they may struggle financially! This is because there are plenty of opportunities to work part-time/scholarships from the uni if you qualify (accomodation + bristol scholarships, look online!).

Not gonna talk too much about the pros because you've probably been told about them more so than cons! x
Original post by jaseho98
So as a 3rd year student at the uni, I think one of the biggest cons of being at Bristol is definitely the price of living. It's not as spenny as London, but deffo more spenny compared to other places; but that goes without saying since it's a big city haha. But, I know a lot of people who have managed to live here even when they know that they may struggle financially! This is because there are plenty of opportunities to work part-time/scholarships from the uni if you qualify (accomodation + bristol scholarships, look online!).

Not gonna talk too much about the pros because you've probably been told about them more so than cons! x

Please talk about the pros, lol. Talk about both, as much as you can. If you want to, ofc.

If you don't, I understand but I'd appreciate if you anwered this - Are you happy at Bristol? Would you recommend it? Any tips on accommodation?
Please talk about the pros, lol. Talk about both, as much as you can. If you want to, ofc.

If you don't, I understand but I'd appreciate if you anwered this - Are you happy at Bristol? Would you recommend it? Any tips on accommodation?

There are so so so many pros! Being a Russel group uni, it’s research based and personally I’ve been taught by many lecturers who are genuinely top of their fields. Good thing about Brizz is that it’s big enough, but not as hectic as London. So you get the best of both worlds imo. If you’re into societies, the uni has plenty to offer! And if you wanted to create your own society you’d have the chance to.

It goes without saying, Bristol has one of the best night life. A few big clubs are clustered in the triangle, and are super covenience for when you want to go home cuz it’s literally 5 mins max from bus stop. Another thing is that the buses run till late on weekdays, so you wouldn’t have to worry about getting home (if you choose to live in stoke bishop). City centre accommodations (orchard, unite, bridewell etc) are nice too as they are close to Cabot and not too far from uni (15 mins walk maybe?)!

Personally, I’ve enjoyed my time at Bristol so so so so so much. My course has been amazing, it’s ohviously *****y at times; but no course at any uni is perfect. There is just so much to do, for everyone; whether you like going out or not! i would personally recommend coming here, but it also depends on what you’re looking for in a uni haha. Hmmm I personally lived in stoke bishop and I really enjoyed living in Badock, but the downside of SB is obviously the distance to uni. Distance isn’t long, but still annoying and buses were not always very reliable (when I was there). So many put down city centre ones like OH and Unite if you’d much rather to be closer to uni? Also, can’t really talk much about the social life in the city centre accoms cuz idk much about them x
Original post by jaseho98
There are so so so many pros! Being a Russel group uni, it’s research based and personally I’ve been taught by many lecturers who are genuinely top of their fields. Good thing about Brizz is that it’s big enough, but not as hectic as London. So you get the best of both worlds imo. If you’re into societies, the uni has plenty to offer! And if you wanted to create your own society you’d have the chance to.

It goes without saying, Bristol has one of the best night life. A few big clubs are clustered in the triangle, and are super covenience for when you want to go home cuz it’s literally 5 mins max from bus stop. Another thing is that the buses run till late on weekdays, so you wouldn’t have to worry about getting home (if you choose to live in stoke bishop). City centre accommodations (orchard, unite, bridewell etc) are nice too as they are close to Cabot and not too far from uni (15 mins walk maybe?)!

Personally, I’ve enjoyed my time at Bristol so so so so so much. My course has been amazing, it’s ohviously *****y at times; but no course at any uni is perfect. There is just so much to do, for everyone; whether you like going out or not! i would personally recommend coming here, but it also depends on what you’re looking for in a uni haha. Hmmm I personally lived in stoke bishop and I really enjoyed living in Badock, but the downside of SB is obviously the distance to uni. Distance isn’t long, but still annoying and buses were not always very reliable (when I was there). So many put down city centre ones like OH and Unite if you’d much rather to be closer to uni? Also, can’t really talk much about the social life in the city centre accoms cuz idk much about them x

Thank you so much, that's really helpful!!

Quick Reply