This Day in Sport: A Compendium

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
31st January
  • 1901 Winnipeg Victorias sweep Montreal Shamrocks in 2 for Stanley Cup 1920 Quebec Bulldogs center Joe Malone sets NHL record with 7 goals in a 10-6 win against Toronto St. Patricks at the Quebec Arena
  • 1920 - Joe Malone of the Québec Bulldogs sets NHL record with 7 goals in a game against Toronto Saint Patricks.
  • 1925 Australasian Championships Women's Tennis, Sydney: Daphne Akhurst wins 1st of 5 home titles; beats fellow Australian Esna Boyd 1-6, 8-6, 6-4
  • 1925 Australasian Championships Men's Tennis, Sydney: James Anderson of Australia wins 2nd straight Australasian crown; beats countryman Gerald Patterson 11-9, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
  • 1927 - National League President John Heydler rules Roger Hornsby can not hold stock in the Saint Louis Cardinals and play for the New York Giants.
  • 1931 NHL's Quebec Bulldogs' Joe Malone scores a record 7 goals
  • 1938 Australian Championships Women's Tennis: American Dorothy Cheney wins her only Grand Slam singles title; beats Dorothy Stevenson of Australia 6-3, 6-2
  • 1938 Australian Championships Men's Tennis: American Don Budge wins the 1st-leg of his Grand Slam; beats John Bromwich of Australia 6-4, 6-2, 6-1
  • 1941 Joe Louis KOs Red Burman in 5 for heavyweight boxing title.
  • 1952 - Harry Heilmann and Paul Waner elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
  • 1974 - McDonald's founder Ray Kroc buys San Diego Padres for US$12 million.
  • 1990 - The first ever all-sports daily The National begins publishing.

And many more!
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
31st January
  • 1901 Winnipeg Victorias sweep Montreal Shamrocks in 2 for Stanley Cup 1920 Quebec Bulldogs center Joe Malone sets NHL record with 7 goals in a 10-6 win against Toronto St. Patricks at the Quebec Arena
  • 1920 - Joe Malone of the Québec Bulldogs sets NHL record with 7 goals in a game against Toronto Saint Patricks.
  • 1925 Australasian Championships Women's Tennis, Sydney: Daphne Akhurst wins 1st of 5 home titles; beats fellow Australian Esna Boyd 1-6, 8-6, 6-4
  • 1925 Australasian Championships Men's Tennis, Sydney: James Anderson of Australia wins 2nd straight Australasian crown; beats countryman Gerald Patterson 11-9, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
  • 1927 - National League President John Heydler rules Roger Hornsby can not hold stock in the Saint Louis Cardinals and play for the New York Giants.
  • 1931 NHL's Quebec Bulldogs' Joe Malone scores a record 7 goals
  • 1938 Australian Championships Women's Tennis: American Dorothy Cheney wins her only Grand Slam singles title; beats Dorothy Stevenson of Australia 6-3, 6-2
  • 1938 Australian Championships Men's Tennis: American Don Budge wins the 1st-leg of his Grand Slam; beats John Bromwich of Australia 6-4, 6-2, 6-1
  • 1941 Joe Louis KOs Red Burman in 5 for heavyweight boxing title.
  • 1952 - Harry Heilmann and Paul Waner elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
  • 1974 - McDonald's founder Ray Kroc buys San Diego Padres for US$12 million.
  • 1990 - The first ever all-sports daily The National begins publishing.

And many more!
Today's:

• 1905 Dutch soccer club ADO Den Haag forms in The Hague; ADO represents the amateur branch of the club
  • 1914 Chicago White Sox and New York Giants play a 10-inning, 3-3 tie in Cairo, Egypt in an exhibition baseball game; part of special 56-game world tour
  • 1919 Brooklyn Robins trade former NL MVP Jake Daubert to Cincinnati Reds for outfielder Tommy Griffith; result of a salary grievance
  • 1932 Australian cricket's master batsman Don Bradman scores 299 not out in 10 wicket, 4th Test win vs South Africa in Adelaide; runs out of partners going for 300

• 1948 Finland goes 1-2 in the Nordic combined event at the St. Moritz Winter Olympics; Heikki Hasu takes gold ahead of team mate Martti Huhtala
  • 1948 Johnny Palmer sets a 36-hole PGA Tour scoring record with rounds of 62-64 in the Tucson Open; finishes runner-up by 1 stroke to Skip Alexander who cards tournament record total 264
  • 1950 Green Bay Packers founder, player and coach Curly Lambeau resigns after 31 seasons and 6 NFL titles to his credit
  • 1954 Dutch soccer club De Graafschap "The County" forms in Doetinchem, Netherlands
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (558)
34%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (331)
20.17%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.57%

Watched Threads