Would counselling help with my depression?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have been pretty consistently depressed for the past few years with a lot of highs and lows, but I've just started my postgrad degree in January, which I thought would help because it's a big change of environment, etc. But I'm depressed again - my flatmates are really nice people, but I can't really connect with them because I have no energy to interact, because of my general tendency to be asocial and because I only get along with very few people.

I'm really anxious every time I have to go outside, and I'm not motivated to go to seminars - all I want to do is make digital art and write and get a cat, but I feel like an ungrateful piece of ****, because I've already dropped out of an MA, and now I got a scholarship for this one, I'm in a nice place and there shouldn't be a problem at all, but I'm just ****ing sad and lonely. The loneliness just hurts my head and I hate it, because it's been going on for so long that I'm really tired of it. Also my main source of interaction is with a guy I speak to online whom I've never even seen and is pretty abusive, but that "works" with my issues (as in, I get a lot more dependent than the situation would justify).

Anyway, I thought I should give the mental health counselling they have at my uni a go, but I'm not sure. The issue is that I have a pretty good awareness of the source of my problems, I recognize patterns of behaviour (like splitting) and I can even control them a lot of the time. I even know why I'm sad, it's just not that easy to resolve and I feel like there is no point in dropping all that on a stranger. Should I still try? I'm not sure what to expect.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Definitely try to speak to someone. It doesn’t have to be in uni, you can try kooth.com which is an online chat service or you can call a bunch of hotlines if you want to talk to someone.

It’s sometimes nice to let it all out.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should. I'd also suggest seeing your GP and telling them what's going on.
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It can be helpful just talking to someone else about what you are going through even if you already know why you are feeling this way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
22.62%
No (171)
77.38%

Watched Threads