Would counselling help with my depression? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have been pretty consistently depressed for the past few years with a lot of highs and lows, but I've just started my postgrad degree in January, which I thought would help because it's a big change of environment, etc. But I'm depressed again - my flatmates are really nice people, but I can't really connect with them because I have no energy to interact, because of my general tendency to be asocial and because I only get along with very few people.

I'm really anxious every time I have to go outside, and I'm not motivated to go to seminars - all I want to do is make digital art and write and get a cat, but I feel like an ungrateful piece of ****, because I've already dropped out of an MA, and now I got a scholarship for this one, I'm in a nice place and there shouldn't be a problem at all, but I'm just ****ing sad and lonely. The loneliness just hurts my head and I hate it, because it's been going on for so long that I'm really tired of it. Also my main source of interaction is with a guy I speak to online whom I've never even seen and is pretty abusive, but that "works" with my issues (as in, I get a lot more dependent than the situation would justify).

Anyway, I thought I should give the mental health counselling they have at my uni a go, but I'm not sure. The issue is that I have a pretty good awareness of the source of my problems, I recognize patterns of behaviour (like splitting) and I can even control them a lot of the time. I even know why I'm sad, it's just not that easy to resolve and I feel like there is no point in dropping all that on a stranger. Should I still try? I'm not sure what to expect.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Definitely try to speak to someone. It doesn’t have to be in uni, you can try kooth.com which is an online chat service or you can call a bunch of hotlines if you want to talk to someone.

It’s sometimes nice to let it all out.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You should. I'd also suggest seeing your GP and telling them what's going on.
Decahedron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It can be helpful just talking to someone else about what you are going through even if you already know why you are feeling this way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (215)
60.06%
No (143)
39.94%

Watched Threads