flyingoctopus
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I noticed that there was absolutely no German A level help forums (that I could find) so I thought I would start one for all of us struggling German A level takers!! First question: Reported speech??? What is it and how do you do it??
bryhig7
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
oops didnt mean thatImage
flyingoctopus
Rep:
oh
flyingoctopus
Rep:
Hey guys, just wanted to point out that some people may actually need serious help with A Level German and it isn't that great that you are trying to make a mockery of it! Anyway - hope you dudes have a good day!
bryhig7
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mpaprika)
omggg :teehee:
Banter
nhill
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by flyingoctopus)
I noticed that there was absolutely no German A level help forums (that I could find) so I thought I would start one for all of us struggling German A level takers!! First question: Reported speech??? What is it and how do you do it?
haven't got a clue soz dude
juliafrancesca
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by flyingoctopus)
I noticed that there was absolutely no German A level help forums (that I could find) so I thought I would start one for all of us struggling German A level takers!! First question: Reported speech??? What is it and how do you do it??
Hey, I'm German As an example: "Der Globus dreht sich." becomes "Der Globus wird gedreht." So you basically use the conjugated verb "werden" and add the participle of the verb that you want to put into indirect speech with the prefix "ge-". Hope that helps?
flyingoctopus
Rep:
(Original post by juliafrancesca)
Hey, I'm German As an example: "Der Globus dreht sich." becomes "Der Globus wird gedreht." So you basically use the conjugated verb "werden" and add the participle of the verb that you want to put into indirect speech with the prefix "ge-". Hope that helps?
Thanks, that really helped me! I hope you have a great day!
Trillo
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'll explain reported speech with an example. Imagine this conversation.
Person: Hello
Person 2: Hi there
Person: I'm going to go to the shops
Person 2: Okay

So in reported speech, person 2 might say "he said he was going to go to the shops". Person 2 is reporting what Person said, but not saying exactly what he said (hopefully this makes sense, it's hard to explain over text).
So in German to do reported speech you want to keep the form of the verb that the person you are reporting would have used. So for example if Gunther says "Ich habe ein Hund" (I have a dog), to report this you would say "Er sagt dass, er habe ein Hund" (he said he has a dog). The key is that you take the form of the verb the original person used. Obviously "er habe" would be incorrect, but in reported speech, it is perfectly fine.

I hope this all makes sense, let me know if not.
Trillo
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by juliafrancesca)
Very kind of you to help but you're thinking of the passive voice, not reported speech.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (86)
67.19%
No (29)
22.66%
I didn't use it to prepare (13)
10.16%

Watched Threads